Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG Blu Ray Player €75

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

I bought this Bluray player just before christmas for about €120-125

Very happy with my purchase, does a great job. And most importantly it has a USB port on the front so i can quickly & easily connect any hard drive and play most video formats off it in HD (assuming you download high-quality videos. Ive yet to find a format it wont play).

I havent tried out the streaming/internet connectivity yet i should say, maybe someone else can comment there.

So this seems a good deal for anyone looking for one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

My dad got this one at christmas too, very impressed with it only a few quid more than a decent upscaling dvd player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

beglee wrote: »
    I bought this Bluray player just before christmas for about €120-125

Very happy with my purchase, does a great job. And most importantly it has a USB port on the front so i can quickly & easily connect any hard drive and play most video formats off it in HD (assuming you download high-quality videos. Ive yet to find a format it wont play).

I havent tried out the streaming/internet connectivity yet i should say, maybe someone else can comment there.

So this seems a good deal for anyone looking for one :)

Does it definitely have WiFi?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Already posted by me in another thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72208801&postcount=152

Just to say, copying another Board members post and posting it as a separate thread, is not encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Homer

Oracle wrote: »
    Already posted by me in another thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72208801&postcount=152

Just to say, copying another Board members post and posting it as a separate thread, is not encouraged.

Well in fairness it'll probably get more views and is better suited to the bargain alerts section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Yes perhaps, although if I was going to post something I've copied fom another Boards member, I'd say it and give credit. For example, "this has already been posted by <member> in <thread>." Alternatively I'd use the quote function or post a link to the thread or to the single post.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gojony

Sorry to disappoint you Oracle but I didn't copy, its just a coincidence, I never read your previous thread. I found it while browsing TV's & Blu ray players on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PhilieQuinn

Meow!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gojony

@Freddie59 I believe it has to be directly connected, by ethernet, for the streaming services (i.e no wifi).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Doesn't appear to have a scart connection. Can someone kindly confirm?

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Doesn't appear to have a scart connection. Can someone kindly confirm?

Why would you want it to have a scart connection? It's a blu ray player :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭PressTheButton

Just a heads up on the streaming capabilities of the LG BD550:
    At least one Amazon reviewer of this product has complained that the product description may be misleading with regard to 'Netcast' online services feature.
    Product Features and Technical Details
    Product Features
    Network Blu-ray Disc Player
    DVD Up-Scaling
    NetCast online Services...

Couple of Amazon reviews make the point:
    This one doesnt have Netcast!, 27 Jan 2011
    Good value Blu-ray player, 27 Mar 2011

One reviewer has pointed out that to obtain the 'Netcast' feature, one would have to buy the more expensive model LG BD560.

Of course if you're just interested in buying a good value blu-ray player without NetCast, this won't affect your decision.

Homer wrote: »
    Why would you want it to have a scart connection? It's a blu ray player :confused:

Because I still have quite a nice CRT, and I want it for the USB playback and DVD upscaling. Then when my tv does die I have the bluray player.

What's wrong with that?

I doubt you'll find a blu ray with a scart to be honest? Best you could hope for is component output and hope your CRT accepts component and audio in separately?
    I'll try see what connections are on that particular model.

OK to clarify.. that model does not have scary but does have component and audio separately so if your CRT allows you could connect it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Don't think a CRT would have component either. What you'd be looking for would be composite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭M00lers

Plenty of CRTs had/have component connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Never seen one. All the ones I've seen have phono, s-video, and composite.

Happy to admit I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭M00lers

I had a Panasonic 32" CRT that had component, back in the days when progressive scan DVD players were all the rage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

Homer wrote: »
    OK to clarify.. that model does not have scary but does have component and audio separately so if your CRT allows you could connect it that way.

It has a Composite video output as well as the Component output, so no problem to connect to 'legacy' TVs. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

Just a heads up on the streaming capabilities of the LG BD550:
    At least one Amazon reviewer of this product has complained that the product description may be misleading with regard to 'Netcast' online services feature.

Couple of Amazon reviews make the point:

One reviewer has pointed out that to obtain the 'Netcast' feature, one would have to buy the more expensive model LG BD560.

Of course if you're just interested in buying a good value blu-ray player without NetCast, this won't affect your decision.

Well, the LG support webpage for the BD550 brings up a manual which states that "BD-Live" (online movie trailer download) IS available (but may be restricted in some countries due to content provider restrictions)....:(

Thank you for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭PressTheButton

taung wrote: »
    Well, the LG support webpage for the BD550 brings up a manual which states that "BD-Live" (online movie trailer download) IS available (but may be restricted in some countries due to content provider restrictions)....:(

taung: Have you noticed that when you click through for the BD550 manual the .pdf manual you download has Model No. BD555 on the front? Wonder if Model BD555 is a newer version of the BD550? Sorry if this is adding to the confusion; just don't want anybody to be disappointed if product delivered is other than described.

Links follow to LG website for: Click on FEATURES tab for each and compare. BD560 has BD-Live and YouTube from LG NetCast. No mention of these features for the BD550. Perhaps some Boardsie owner of the LG BD550 (UK version) might clarify as there is a question mark over Amazon's description of the LG BD550 having 'NetCast online Services'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I have the LG BD560 since Christmas picked it up in powercity for about 110. The odd time video playback from USB is sluggish but on a whole I'm happy with it.

Here's a good owners thread and how to transform a BD560 into BD570 .

Link

Link2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

No Optical output.... DAMN!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Murt10

Only thinking of this now after I placed my order but are blue rays like DVD players with different regions?

If so, is this one easy to hack?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

spent ages looking at this one on sunday night but decided
    against it as a refurb was my only option on amazon
    didn't check anywhere else
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-BD370-Blu-ray-Definition-YouTube/dp/B0026B8AW6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Advertisement