Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economic depression, Arab Revolutions and WW3

Options
  • 17-05-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭

I think that the current bailouts are unsustainable, eventually a second mega crisis is going to occur imo, in the EU and US respectively with a default on debts. In addition last night I heard an economist dude on the Keiser report state that all three economic power blocs, the US, EU and China are essentially playing a game of "whose economy will implode first", noting that China for all its economic success has an economy which is in a hyper inflationary state. In addition there is a housing bubble waiting to blow, which will apparently be absorbed by the wider economy.

Essentially I think this will precipitate in the rise of extremist political movements, while it might seem ridiculous now, when living standards begin to decrease noticeably, people en mass will do whatever it takes to survive, and unfortunately that can often take the form of irrationality, for example singling out immigrants or muslims or jews as was the case the last time round, for their ire, rather than directing their sights towards the elites. Of course its easy to attack those in closer proximity, I mean all you have to look at are people on boards stating that people receiving unemployment benefit are all scroungers and responsible for Irelands economic woes or that teachers have it easy and are being paid too much. Not that these cases aren't partially true, but these aren't the primary causes, the problem is at the top, but because we live in a society built on a social/distributive heirarchy it goes against the nature of people to challenge the authority of those that feed them capital, revolutions incur financial costs and people want stability in an understandably in a chaotic world. But I digress. Basically as I see it a second economic crash is going to give rise to major social tensions.

The Arab Revolutions are also following a very weird pattern. In Libya, the West saw that the revolution was turning the wrong way so they corrected it with interventionary measures. Then you already have trouble on the borders of Israel. Whats going to happen once these revolutions are completed? The middle east is a tinderbox waiting to explode. Loudly. I think the Arab world may attack Israel which will cause Isael to respond by launching nuclear strikes? And this is how it will start, small nuking in specific areas which will expand to larger ones, drawing in more and more nations.

I think there are number of possibilities for the West internally. I think that the elites there will respond by launching false flag terrorist ops to quell rising dissent or will invite attacks from extremist Islamic cells by supporting Israel. On the other hand internal revolutions may have already occured with the installation of far right governments who may be trigger happy anyway. The middle eastern conflict coupled with economic and social instability in the West will generate the melting pot for a much wider conflict, potentially with China or other nations. Russia isn't happy about the Libyan conflict, now multiply that by eleven with a regional Middle Eastern war and you'll have conflicts between Russia, the EU, the US and China who all have vested interests in the area. Add in financial interdependency in a globalized economy and a second crash and relations will sour even further. Then there is the whole preserving the status quo thing and the best solution to that is jingoism=war.

So war is the best option in these scenarios. War allows you to eliminate your economic competitors, war allows you to massively reduce unemployment with the war effort which improves your domestic economy, war allows you to force in a particar political setup in order to secure future interests. War, its fantastic!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

The Arab Revolutions are also following a very weird pattern. In Libya, the West saw that the revolution was turning the wrong way so they corrected it with interventionary measures. Then you already have trouble on the borders of Israel. Whats going to happen once these revolutions are completed? The middle east is a tinderbox waiting to explode. Loudly. I think the Arab world may attack Israel which will cause Isael to respond by launching nuclear strikes? And this is how it will start, small nuking in specific areas which will expand to larger ones, drawing in more and more nations.
    The so called revolution in Libya is pure and utter bs.That invasion is all about china and a certain currency for Africa.America and Israel don't want democracy in the middle east at any cost.They fear it.And what the hell is democracy anyway? Democracy is an insult to freedom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

It's interesting to think about, but I think nuclear weapons and how deadly military technology is now will prevent a war breaking out between the major powers, or stop anything serious escalating.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Lefticus Loonaticus

I think world wars are a thing of the past. Think economic interdependancy, ICBMs, satalite weapons etc etc. Short regional wars could defo be on the cards tho if some power of another was to be threatened in some way.

If there was a world war tho, well, we are ireland, and have the best camp position ever. Both ww1 and ww2 worked dramatically in our favour, and we did absolutely nothing :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

I think world wars are a thing of the past. Think economic interdependancy, ICBMs, satalite weapons etc etc. Short regional wars could defo be on the cards tho if some power of another was to be threatened in some way.

If there was a world war tho, well, we are ireland, and have the best camp position ever. Both ww1 and ww2 worked dramatically in our favour, and we did absolutely nothing :D.
    50,000 irish died in ww1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

We were involved in WW1, and probably should have declared war on Germany when the Allies were going to win in WW2, instead of Dev sympathising on the death of Hitler, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I think that the current bailouts are unsustainable, eventually a second mega crisis is going to occur imo, in the EU and US respectively with a default on debts. In addition last night I heard an economist dude on the Keiser report state that all three economic power blocs, the US, EU and China are essentially playing a game of "whose economy will implode first", noting that China for all its economic success has an economy which is in a hyper inflationary state. In addition there is a housing bubble waiting to blow, which will apparently be absorbed by the wider economy.

Essentially I think this will precipitate in the rise of extremist political movements, while it might seem ridiculous now, when living standards begin to decrease noticeably, people en mass will do whatever it takes to survive, and unfortunately that can often take the form of irrationality, for example singling out immigrants or muslims or jews as was the case the last time round, for their ire, rather than directing their sights towards the elites. Of course its easy to attack those in closer proximity, I mean all you have to look at are people on boards stating that people receiving unemployment benefit are all scroungers and responsible for Irelands economic woes or that teachers have it easy and are being paid too much. Not that these cases aren't partially true, but these aren't the primary causes, the problem is at the top, but because we live in a society built on a social/distributive heirarchy it goes against the nature of people to challenge the authority of those that feed them capital, revolutions incur financial costs and people want stability in an understandably in a chaotic world. But I digress. Basically as I see it a second economic crash is going to give rise to major social tensions.

I think there are number of possibilities for the West internally. I think that the elites there will respond by launching false flag terrorist ops to quell rising dissent or will invite attacks from extremist Islamic cells by supporting Israel. On the other hand internal revolutions may have already occured with the installation of far right governments who may be trigger happy anyway. The middle eastern conflict coupled with economic and social instability in the West will generate the melting pot for a much wider conflict, potentially with China or other nations. Russia isn't happy about the Libyan conflict, now multiply that by eleven with a regional Middle Eastern war and you'll have conflicts between Russia, the EU, the US and China who all have vested interests in the area. Add in financial interdependency in a globalized economy and a second crash and relations will sour even further. Then there is the whole preserving the status quo thing and the best solution to that is jingoism=war.

So war is the best option in these scenarios. War allows you to eliminate your economic competitors, war allows you to massively reduce unemployment with the war effort which improves your domestic economy, war allows you to force in a particar political setup in order to secure future interests. War, its fantastic!

Humans have always have an innate need to feel the world is near an end.

In the past when some dictator vows to massacre his own people there was no world police to fly in the bomb him into oblivion like there is today.

Imagine living through WW2, An Lushan Rebellion, Mongol Conquests, Qing dynasty or the Taiping Rebellion and be thankful were not.

Imagine living through the Spanish flew which killed up to 100 million people in two years.

The An Lushan Rebellion wiped out about 15% of the world population.

Be happy to be living in the most peaceful time in human history instead of worrying about recession and tensions in the middle east bringing about the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

digme wrote: »
    The so called revolution in Libya is pure and utter bs.That invasion is all about china and a certain currency for Africa.America and Israel don't want democracy in the middle east at any cost.They fear it.And what the hell is democracy anyway? Democracy is an insult to freedom.

Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

This is an excellently researched video is a must watch for understanding the uprisings imo.

Advertisement