Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Layers, layers, layers...

Options
  • 17-05-2011 6:53pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm heading off to Alaska next month, time there will be 9 days, 7 out and about. I don't think there will be any strenuous hiking because there'll be a van and camping involved. There will probably be some sea kayaking, cycling and that sort of thing.

I'm not sure what sort of clothing to bring, or rather, what is the best way to do layers for something like this. One book says to expect temperatures of around 7-20C, so I'm expecting the weather to be a bit like here. Taking that temperature band with a grain of salt, however. I'll be bringing a small rain jacket and a large once, a fleece...I'm less certain about t-shirts, have a few quicky dry/wicking type ones, but what about something for warmth as well? I've the odd bit of mock/ex-army stuff, so could probably throw that in, too. Need to consider something re rain leggings, I have crappy ones from Dunnes, they get very clingy, so I don't really use them, or rather large ones which are more suited to skiing. They'd probably do the job, though they won't pack down small.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Chris O Donoghue

Bring the wicking T-shirts, but consider buying an Under Armour type undershirt, they're very light and really work, particularly for cycling into a cold wind. Get the leggings as well if you can.

I wouldn't bother with ex-army stuff, if you could get one or 2 half-zip mid-layer fleeces you'll be able to cater for temps from 0 to 30.

Try to get a breathable rainpants: if you're cycling, you'll build up sweat under a crappy pair, and your inner thighs will chafe. Not nice.

Take a look in TK Maxx, they usually have a range of outdoor stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for that. Not expecting a lot of cycling, tbh. I'd prefer not to have buy much stuff, but that's mostly because I've a good bit already and don't want to needlessly pack the wardrobe with more. The ex-army gear would be just something to throw on in evening if it's cold.

Do you've any examples this under armour stuff? Doesn't have to be for cycling, just general out and about stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Thermals. Was there last year for about a month and it was damn cold. Bought a bunch of thermals (kinda expensive there!) and they worked a threat. Perfect for kayaking too. For legs I have these khaki pants with zip off legs. (ie turned into shorts) and they were brilliant. Used legging thermals underneath.

If you are gonna go, and you don't have a stringent schedule laid out I cannot recommended Valdez enough. We pulled in supposedly for one night and ended up staying three. Amazing Iceberg kayaking, perfect opportunity to join the polar bear club too. Enjoy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ah yeah, nearly forget the thermals. Have one moderate short sleeve shirt, a heavy long sleeve one, some leggings. Have some zip off things as well. I'm mostly worried about the chest area being cold.

It's a fairly structured thing, so I don't think I'll get a chance to change course.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Chris O Donoghue

Take a look here for an example of the under Armour gear: its the stuff rugby players wear in winter. I bought mine in TK Maxx, it's much cheaper once you're not too concerned with colour.

Penneys do a cheaper version as well, called backswing, not as good but they work OK as thermals

These are a fairly snug fit so watch the sizes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 activitymaster

Wanna join a practice Hike to prep you for Alaska, looking to muster numbers for a hike of Lug in Wicklow this Sunday. Anyone interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭IPNA

I am Originally from Alaska before immigrating here to Kerry. Where are you going? Our weather in Glacier Bay is vastly different compared to way up north. What will you be doing? That makes a lot of difference as well.

Thanks for that. Kenai neck of the woods - camping, sea kayaking, seeing nature stuff, National Parks, etc. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 activitymaster

We will just be climbing Lug. Hiking from the bottom to the top. Any climbing fitness you get etween now and then is a bonas if you wanna join us. We are meeting in Lara at ten, in the carpark and driving to Lug carpark in Convo. Climbing having lunch on the peak and coming back down simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

We will just be climbing Lug. Hiking from the bottom to the top. Any climbing fitness you get etween now and then is a bonas if you wanna join us. We are meeting in Lara at ten, in the carpark and driving to Lug carpark in Convo. Climbing having lunch on the peak and coming back down simple.
    It's Laragh, not Lara... and where is Convo?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

I have 2 things which have some merino wool in them, quite warm. Better than the thermal shortsleeve I have. Have a longsleeve thermal which is heavier than the shortsleeve one, though.

Mightn't bother with the lightweight rain jacket. Any further suggestions are welcome re layers/gear.

Advertisement