Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone have a MAP of the street closures for the queens visit

Options
  • 17-05-2011 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

I've seen the link the SU sent out about the street closures but the detail on the city council site is vague. I've an exam on the 20th in City Hall and depending on which end they close the road at it looks like I may have to acess city hall from the marina side.

So if you have a map or a link to a map could you post it please.

thanks - from an annoyed and frustrated quietsailor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

As far as I know all the details are on the AA website.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭feels2gd2btrue

did the SU actually send out am email because i never got it? :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 137 ✭✭Pi^2

Yo, I threw the info from the cork city council website (http://www.corkcity.ie/services/roadstransportation/trafficdivision/roadclosuresanddiversions/) into a map of the city (see attached). I think I included everything, but I'm not infallible! I even proposed a route for walking to the major exam centres around the city. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I've an exam at 2 in City Hall, not looking forward to that walk, if i do have to go that route in pink!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

I thought it was just western road inbound, i.e. you can still turn left at the bottom of donovans road and head out towards the west gate building? Can someone confirm this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

just got this email:
    as a reminder, due to the visit of Queen Elizabeth II to Cork, there will be comprehensive traffic restrictions in place mainly (but not only) throughout the City Centre, from 10am until c. 4-6pm on Friday. For detailed information, see City Council's link (http://www.corkcity.ie/services/roadstransportation/trafficdivision/roadclosuresanddiversions/) or the Garda website at http://www.garda.ie/QueenCorkTipperary.htm.

Western Rd will be closed for inbound traffic from the junction at Sacred Heart / AIB (close to Western Gateway bldg), starting from 10am. Outbound traffic on Western Rd is understood to be allowed. Access to UCC will be possible via College Road (from St. Finbarr's or Dennehy's Cross sides) and Donovan's Rd / Gaol Walk.

It is understood that road closures will only come into effect from 10am.

As also pedestrian / cycling traffic will be restricted, we recommend to use North Mall, Distillery Fields (Enterprise Centre) and Mardyke Gardens Bridge for pedestrians / cyclists between the North Side and UCC Campus.
    It is understood from www.buseireann.ie that there will be no bus services at UCC Campus (Nos 5 and 8) for the duration of the closures. UCC P+R shuttles are expected to operate as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 daithilinnane

Pi^2 wrote: »
    Yo, I threw the info from the cork city council website (http://www.corkcity.ie/services/roadstransportation/trafficdivision/roadclosuresanddiversions/) into a map of the city (see attached). I think I included everything, but I'm not infallible! I even proposed a route for walking to the major exam centres around the city. Enjoy!

Would you mind if I distributed this through facebook and collegeroad.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Seems like a right mess

also,
    SU Email wrote:
    I've been informed that the Exams and Records Office of UCC will be emailing all students with exams in the Metropole and Neptune Stadium on Friday, so please keep an eye on your email. The traffic/security issues around the Queen's visit are hard to resolve and we are still in contact with the Gardaí awaiting final details.

Unfortunately due to road closures and diversions, the exam bus service to Neptune Stadium has been cancelled for Friday 20th May as the bus company are unable to guarantee arrival in time for exams and we must therefore advise students to make alternative arrangements. This is due to the unpredictable nature of the traffic, change in routes etc.

Seems like a bad idea to cancel the bus and force more traffic up to Neptune. An altered timetable, sure, but to cancel seems to make cause more congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Cheers Pi^2

I think I'm going to go out towards blackrock and come back in the old blackrock road and approach the city hall from that side. I'm still debating between driving and trying to find parking (parking discs I suppose) and just getting a taxi

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 137 ✭✭Pi^2

Would you mind if I distributed this through facebook and collegeroad.ie?

Work away Daithi, but I'd have done a better job on it if I thought it would be widely distributed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I just saw the following in an email from the exams office there WILL be restrictions on pedestrians as well as vehicles so beware of this

If you are walking, the following pedestrian restrictions will be in place and you should follow the routes set out below. You will not be able go through Patrick Street/South Mall on Friday, 20th May to your examinations in City Hall, Metropole Hotel and Neptune at 2.00 pm and 4.30 pm.

There will be NO Pedestrian Access to the following Streets on the 20th May 2011 between 12.00 noon and 4.00 p.m.
    Princess Street (“Upper”)
    Grand Parade
    -Junction of Oliver Plunkett Street to Patrick Street
    -St Augustine Street to Tuckey Street
    Junction of Tuckey Street and Grand Parade to Electric Bar South Mall
    Washington Street (Both Sides)
    Junction Grand Parade to South Main Street.

Walking to City Hall

From the UCC Gate on College Road, go along College Road towards the city, onto Gillabbey Street, at the end of Gillabbey Street, go left onto Bishop Street then cross the road and go along Proby’s Quay (by St Finbarr’s Cathedral), onto French’s Quay, across South Gate Bridge onto Sullivan’s Quay, Georges Quay and Union Quay. The City Hall is facing you at the end of Union Quay.

Walking to the Metropole Hotel

At Main Gates of UCC (Western Road) go across Western Road (go down the side of the Coffee Station) and cross over to the Distillery Walk which will take you to the Enterprise Centre. Go out of the Enterprise Centre on to the North Mall and go straight in the quays (north side of the river) as far a St Patrick’s Bridge, go left up Bridge Street and then right onto MacCurtain Street.

Walking to Neptune Stadium

At Main Gates of UCC (Western Road) go across Western Road (go down the side of the Coffee Station) and cross over to the Distillery Walk to the Enterprise Centre. Go out of the Enterprise Centre on to the North Mall and go straight up Shandon Street, straight past the Cathedral (through the traffic lights), turn left at the next set of traffic lights after the Cathedral, Neptune is 100 m on your left.

There are no pedestrian restrictions around any of the venues.

If you are driving or walking, plan your route and allow at least one hour of additional time.

Advertisement