Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dining Room Chair Covers

• 17-05-2011 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone might be able to help. I recently bought some new dining room chair slipcovers to replace the now very faded covers that originally came with my dining room set.

I bought them online, and unfortunately, they are a bit too big for the chairs. I was wondering if anyone might know of anyone who would alter them? I've tried to contact a few alteration shops, but most seem only to alter clothes.

The chairs are fine apart from the covers; if anyone has any other suggestions as to how I might spruce them up, it would be gratefully received! I've tried to dye them, but the dye wouldn't take. I was thinking of perhaps having them completely reupholstered, but worry that might cost more than new chairs!

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Miss Congeniality

Hi Curious Gina
    Now firstly, let me say that I've never tried this BUT...depending on the type of material the covers are made from, perhaps you could wash them in hot water and see if they shrink enough to fit - Sherry from the blog "Young House Love" did this and it worked for her:
    http://www.younghouselove.com/2011/05/giving-them-the-slip/

However, consider the cost of them first as if they were expensive perhaps you could return them or re-sell them!!

As for having the chairs themselves reupholstered, theres no harm in getting a few quotes or would you consider trying it yourself??

If all else fails, what about asking a local dressmaker/curtain maker if they could make covers?? This could work out a bit cheaper if you bought the material yourself!!

Anyways, sorry couldn't be more help but Best of Luck with it and please let us know how you get on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CuriousGina

Hi,

Thanks so much for your replies! I'm just looking at the website you recommended, Miss Congeniality, and the woman who wrote it sounds just like me (I even tried painting my chairs too!) :) And my new covers fit just like hers did, originally, so I might give what she did a try.

Thanks so much for your suggestions, I really appreciate your help! I've found an alterations place that will look at the covers for me, so going to bring them in and see if they can alter them. Otherwise, my Mam upholstered her own chairs recently too, they look great, so I might enlist her help :) I'm 34 weeks pregnant, and have a list as long as my arm of household jobs (did anyone say nesting?!), so I'm going to get moving on it!

Thanks again, and take care.

Advertisement