Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam alert, (AIB customers beware)

Options
  • 17-05-2011 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Just got the following text message;

Your access to AIB Internet Banking has been suspended because your AIB
    Code Card has expired. Please go to http://www.aib-personal.org to update your account.

From the following number; +447624803803

I could have been had quite easily, as I'm !an aib customer, and have a code card!

My suspicions arose with the uk based number, didn't click on link, but rang aib, who confirmed it was a scam, prob started when I advertised two tickets for sale on a popular web site.

Just spreading the word guys , be careful!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Banks don't use text messages for important business as far as I'm aware so disregard anything that comes in that form.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

There's also PayPal scam e-mails going around in high numbers this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Ghandee wrote: »
    Just got the following text message;

Your access to AIB Internet Banking has been suspended because your AIB
    Code Card has expired. Please go to http://www.aib-personal.org to update your account.

From the following number; +447624803803

I could have been had quite easily, as I'm !an aib customer, and have a code card!

My suspicions arose with the uk based number, didn't click on link, but rang aib, who confirmed it was a scam, prob started when I advertised two tickets for sale on a popular web site.

Just spreading the word guys , be careful!

fair play, for starters banks and businesses would never have a .org address, they are reserved for non-profit organisations and charities for the most part. (and now scam artists)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I have no money in either my AIB or Paypal accounts to be stolen.

A common complaint probably

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Banks don't use text messages for important business as far as I'm aware so disregard anything that comes in that form.

The Dude has no bank account, man. So like any message would not be for him.

and I hate the fcuking Eagles, man ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Theres no HTTPS:// in that address either

Who is aib-personal.org

Domain ID: D162289903-LROR
    Domain Name:AIB-PERSONAL.ORG
    Created On:17-May-2011 08:48:20 UTC
    Last Updated On:17-May-2011 08:48:22 UTC
    Expiration Date:17-May-2012 08:48:20 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar :Melbourne IT, Ltd (R52-LROR)
    Registrant ID . D130558816067253
    Registrant Name: william Garcia
    Registrant Organization: Private Registration US
    Registrant Street1: PO Box 61359
    Registrant Street2:
    Registrant Street3:
    Registrant City:Sunnyvale
    Registrant State/Province:CA
    Registrant Postal Code:94088
    Registrant Country: US
    Registrant Phone:+1.5105952002

Registrant Phone Ext.:
    Registrant FAX:
    Registrant FAX Ext.:
    Registrant Email:contact@myprivateregistration.com
    Admin ID: D130558816067250
    Admin Name:Admin PrivateRegContact
    Admin Organization: Private Reg US
    Admin Street1: PO Box 61359
    Admin Street2: registered post accepted only
    Admin Street3:
    Admin City:Sunnyvale
    Admin State/Province:CA
    Admin Postal Code:94088
    Admin Country:US
    Admin Phone:+1.5105952002
    Admin Phone Ext.:
    Admin FAX:
    Admin FAX Ext.:
    Admin Email:contact@myprivateregistration.com
    Tech ID: D130558816067252
    Tech Name:TECH PrivateRegContact
    Tech Organization:Private Reg US
    Tech Street1: PO Box 61359
    Tech Street2:registered post accepted only
    Tech Street3:
    Tech City: Sunnyvale
    Tech State/Province:CA
    Tech Postal Code:94088
    Tech Country:US
    Tech Phone:+1.5105952002
    Tech Phone Ext.:
    Tech FAX:
    Tech FAX Ext.:
    Tech Email:contact@myprivateregistration.com
    Name Server:YNS1.YAHOO.COM
    Name Server:YNS2.YAHOO.COM

Registered in the USA

edit:got rid of smilies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

edit: I don't know why all the smilies are there

: Private = :Private
    : Dword = :Dword

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

edit: I don't know why all the smilies are there

Because the cut-and-paste had the colons butted against the first letters

": P" when put together make :P so ": Private Registration" without the space results in ":Private Registration"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

The whois info is probably fake too.
    Do like how it wants all details, such as the entire PAC and codecard and not just individual numbers.
    You could easily see how this could catch people who wouldn't know any better alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

AIB have been warning about this on their internet banking site:

Text Message Alert

AIB is aware that a number of fraudulent text messages are being circulated purporting to be from AIB. Examples of the text messages include: 'your access to AIB Internet Banking has been suspended because your AIB Code Card has expired'.
    The text message contains a link which will bring you to a fraudulent website and request you to enter your Registration Number, Full Personal Access Code (PAC) and 100 codes from your Code Card.
    These text messages are NOT from AIB. They are a fraudulent attempt to obtain your banking details.
    DO NOT follow the instructions in the message and delete the message straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

Might it be an idea if everyone went on that site and entered random information? That way, the scammer(s) might just give up under the deluge of random data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Might it be an idea if everyone went on that site and entered random information? That way, the scammer(s) might just give up under the deluge of random data.

I just tried that, the site looks pretty realistic, a few flaws for anyone who does internet banking regularly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Let them try scam me, there's no money to take!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

got this text aswell today, i knew it was a scam straight away with the .org domain on the website, idiots :)

just searched it and found this topic, just to confirm its a scam, i'll tell as many people I know just in case they get a text aswell.

anyway i dont even have an AIB account :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Jesus AIB are really being hit hard only the other day there was something similar in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Yes they do. My credit card (BOI) they will text me if there is any suspect behavior on the card and ask me to ring them using the number on my credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It's common sense if a bank contacts you via email or text linking you to a site then you should really know that it's BS.

They will and should only ask you to contact them directly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Not AIB related but still a scam: 'Enable Dislike Button' scam spreading on Facebook.

See here: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/enable-dislike-button-scam-spreading-on-facebook/8655

• Registered Users Posts: 81,922 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sunnyvale CA is the source of quite a number of scam domains :/ I've been had by one myself. Maybe theyre all from the same organization even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Ghandee wrote: »
    prob started when I advertised two tickets for sale on a popular web site.

I got the message last week but seen as im not with AIB i just deleted it,i was wondering how they got my number,but when you mention it i too had something for sale on donedeal last week,is that how they are getting the numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you get any unexpected / unusual communication claiming to be from your bank. Simply ignore it / hang up and call your bank yourself and see what the story actually is.

Never give someone ringing you any information about your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I got the same type of thing form 'open24' about 2 weeks ago. I don't have an open 24 account in the first place. Rang the bank and they told me to ignore it. What startled me was that when I received the message on my iPhone it said open24 and no number. How did they do that :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Solair wrote: »
    If you get any unexpected / unusual communication claiming to be from your bank. Simply ignore it / hang up and call your bank yourself and see what the story actually is.

Never give someone ringing you any information about your account.

If people don't already know that,then they deserve to get robbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The logs are visible. Customer details are visible too if you've a good eye for these things. I contacted AIB and sent on a list of all the customers that have been scammed.

I reported a site like this a few weeks back - they are very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kelty

I got bored this evening at work so I had a look through the scam website for the craic. Check this out. Go as far as the 'Manage My Accounts' section by entering some dummy data on the way, right click on the page and click view source code.
    scroll down through the source code and theres a javascript function called:

sloboz(){
    }

sloboz http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sloboz means "cum" in Bulgarian. interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭baldymac

well i didnt get any txt message, but i did get phone from the bank to call them back ASAP

which i did and they said my ATM card was used in a scamming device they caught

so had to cancel an get a new one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Hobbes wrote: »
    Yes they do. My credit card (BOI) they will text me if there is any suspect behavior on the card and ask me to ring them using the number on my credit card.

Really? I'm with the same bank and have never had them text me for anything to do with my credit card.

Although they ask you to ring a number you already have for them at least, not check out some new website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I got the message last week but seen as im not with AIB i just deleted it,i was wondering how they got my number,but when you mention it i too had something for sale on donedeal last week,is that how they are getting the numbers?

Yup!!!!

Same site!

HAd 2 x gold circle bon jovi tickets for sale...........

(what was i thinking ? :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭rounding tattenham Corner

i got the same text and me never having had an AIB account, I checked out the site it looked good,

Wondering how they got my number, i bought first time ever something on ebay this week maybe they got that info, but did pay through paypal so hope all okay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 cool_mughal

got following txt from this number today: +447797990997

"Your access to AIB internet banking has been suspended because your AIB Code Card hasexpired. Please go to http;//www.aib-personal.org to update you account."

Advertisement