Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mysterious shadowy figure (and a shack) in the Impossible Astronaut?

Options
  • 16-05-2011 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭

Ok, I saw this on another forum and what to get your thoughts on it;

fSFA1.jpg
    That shot is right after the Doctor says "It's OK, I know it's you"

And it's gone in the Long shot :

iSOXC.png

But then back again :

htuce.gif

brvEB.jpg

==========

Other references to "people" in the Shadows...

Warning : OCD Fans only!!! *SPOILERS - All Series 5*

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66642897&postcount=2v

Pittens wrote: »
    Yeah, thats what I think MC. Although I wonder if Amy is a multi-form. That would be mad.

There was a scene in the first episode where a shadowed figure passes across the kitchen window, just as the Tardis is about to leave. Shadow of a woman.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

My guess is that it's a Time Lord (or someone who can pilot a TARDIS) and thats a TARDIS in the form of a Beach Hut. I think we can safely say that the shadows aren't the Silents like many people were saying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Or! Just a continuity error ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

There is no way this is an error, it's clearly in shot so there is no way they missed it.
    [QOUTE]

[–]adez23 (_) 12 points 7 hours ago (13|0)

I think that has something to do with next week's episode. AFAIK, the Flesh can be made to look like you and can be controlled, right? Could the shadowy figure in the background be the Doctor controlling it from a distance?

Honestly, I'd chalk it up to a production error until it was pointed out that the shadowy figure dropped the same time the Doctor did. I'm just hoping that it's not the answer to this whole mystery though - it feels like a cheap way out.

[–]vactuna (_) 8 points 7 hours ago* (8|0)

Aren't The Flesh supposed to be terrible copies of their originals, though? Mutant looking and all that? Maybe the Doctor fixes their cloning technology to be more accurate after Amy tells him what happens to the Future Doctor (you KNOW she will, Rory's told her not to every episode, Amy always does what she's told not to do- Beast Below, anyone?) and clones himself. But then why would the shadow fall if the clone was killed?

[–]adez23 (_) 7 points 7 hours ago (7|0)

[1] Maybe that's how you control the Flesh - they mimic your movements in real time.

[–]vactuna (_) 9 points 7 hours ago* (9|0)

Ooooh- so assuming The Doctor fell in order to make the clone being shot also fall in tandem with the shot (which looked suspiciously like the beam from his sonic screwdriver), The Doctor wasn't really shot at all? I wonder what was actually in that gasoline can Canton brought out... Maybe he just needed to trick all of his companions into thinking he dies permanently, for some ulterior purpose- to fool the Silents, perhaps? Sort of like in the Big Bang where he lets Amy and Rory think he's dead so he can go wire himself into the Pandorica... Rule 1: The Doctor Lies!

I guess so. Or it's somebody else who doesn't want the Doctor to die. However, as I said earlier, I don't like it if this turns out to be the answer to the whole mystery. I want something more mind blowing, and not a clone that takes a fatal shot for the Doctor.

[–]vactuna (_) 9 points 7 hours ago* (10|0)

Amy's line after the Doctor is shot- "Maybe he's a clone or a duplicate or something"- seemed like foreshadowing to me at the time. And she did say in the last episode- "I hate it when I'm always right" (or something to that effect). I agree with you though, I hope it's something better and more timey-wimey than that, because it seems like such a cop-out.

[/QUOTE]

pixelburp wrote: »

Amy's line after the Doctor is shot- "Maybe he's a clone or a duplicate or something"- seemed like foreshadowing to me at the time. And she did say in the last episode- "I hate it when I'm always right" (or something to that effect). I agree with you though, I hope it's something better and more timey-wimey than that, because it seems like such a cop-out.

But this was addressed by Canton,
    "Let me assure you, that wasn't a clone, or a duplicate. That was the doctor."
    - something like that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

which is what we all assumed last year when the doctor lost his jacket.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

which is what we all assumed last year when the doctor lost his jacket.
    True, but reading too much into things can lead to disappointment. Look at all those "Bad Wolf" references there were in series 1. Didn't result in anything in the end ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

reading too much into things can lead to disappointment

whats what i was told when i got married ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

htuce.gif

Hmm, I don't think that's a person. It looks more like a coil of rope attached to the back of the lifeguard shed. The loose end of the rope gets swept outward by the wind towards the start of that GIF's loop - it kind of resembles someone raising their arm, but the motion is too gradual, and it doesn't hinge around where you'd expect an elbow to be. Also, the figure doesn't have a head! If it did, it would have to be hiding it behind the shed, which isn't really possible when you imagine where the figure's shoulder would be relative to the moving arm.

As for the shed disappearing, it could be an illusion of the perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Hmm, I don't think that's a person. It looks more like a coil of rope attached to the back of the lifeguard shed. The loose end of the rope gets swept outward by the wind towards the start of that GIF's loop - it kind of resembles someone raising their arm, but the motion is too gradual, and it doesn't hinge around where you'd expect an elbow to be. Also, the figure doesn't have a head! If it did, it would have to be hiding it behind the shed, which isn't really possible when you imagine where the figure's shoulder would be relative to the moving arm.

As for the shed disappearing, it could be an illusion of the perspective?
    Completely tongue in cheek here, as I don't think the shapes match up that closely, but you know what else could resemble a loose end of a rope getting blown?

fez-786021.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I thought it was a Dalek for a sec *morto*

• Advertisement

This may be one to far onto the jump a straws stage:
    Not my Pic:

YZUn8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

The Jacket continuity error was massively signalled. He took the jacket off to escape. Then he had it on. They could have just gone with a different watch, or longer hair. Thats the kind of thing you notice, when the very last scene was an escape abandoning a jacket. This is just a shadow. Meaningless I think.

Anybody else notice "The Doctor" watching from the background in "A Good Man Goes To War" ?

This is a screenshot seconds after
    The Doctor is unmasked in the last monks robes.

uxJUF.png

Full Sized Version

And seconds later
    the shot goes back to me on the stage in the monks robes...

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Er, I'm fairly sure that's just one of the Clerics guarding Amy's room with his gun. Sadly, that's a beret, rather than Matt Smith's friendly coif of mad forelocks. :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Er, I'm fairly sure that's just one of the Clerics guarding Amy's room with his gun. Sadly, that's a beret, rather than Matt Smith's friendly coif of mad forelocks. :p

"No, its real. Its my hair"

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pumpkin muffin

Well, in the end of (I think) Season 5, (Spoilers here!)
    You see that the doctor didn't really die, and it was those little do-gooders in a 'Doctor Suit' who get shot by River
    so it very well could have been the Doctor watching from behind the shack with his fez blowing in the wind, and, who knows, like others have said the TARDIS could have some kind of cloaking ability to look like the shack. In fact I think there is definitley something in that. The Doctor helps people, police help people (Lets not forget the TARDIS is a police telephone box, which the public could use to contact officers in an emergency), and the shack has a life preserver, which could make it a lifegaurd shack, again implying that whoever/whatever is inside can help people during a crisis. Thats just a bit of food for thought, anyone have an opinion on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 wrbedzinski

:pac:xox:rolleyes:
    There is no way this is an error, it's clearly in shot so there is no way they missed it.
    [QOUTE]

[–]adez23 (_) 12 points 7 hours ago (13|0)

I think that has something to do with next week's episode. AFAIK, the Flesh can be made to look like you and can be controlled, right? Could the shadowy figure in the background be the Doctor controlling it from a distance?

Honestly, I'd chalk it up to a production error until it was pointed out that the shadowy figure dropped the same time the Doctor did. I'm just hoping that it's not the answer to this whole mystery though - it feels like a cheap way out.

[–]vactuna (_) 8 points 7 hours ago* (8|0)

Aren't The Flesh supposed to be terrible copies of their originals, though? Mutant looking and all that? Maybe the Doctor fixes their cloning technology to be more accurate after Amy tells him what happens to the Future Doctor (you KNOW she will, Rory's told her not to every episode, Amy always does what she's told not to do- Beast Below, anyone?) and clones himself. But then why would the shadow fall if the clone was killed?

[1] Maybe that's how you control the Flesh - they mimic your movements in real time.

[–]vactuna (_) 9 points 7 hours ago* (9|0)

Ooooh- so assuming The Doctor fell in order to make the clone being shot also fall in tandem with the shot (which looked suspiciously like the beam from his sonic screwdriver), The Doctor wasn't really shot at all? I wonder what was actually in that gasoline can Canton brought out... Maybe he just needed to trick all of his companions into thinking he dies permanently, for some ulterior purpose- to fool the Silents, perhaps? Sort of like in the Big Bang where he lets Amy and Rory think he's dead so he can go wire himself into the Pandorica... Rule 1: The Doctor Lies!

I guess so. Or it's somebody else who doesn't want the Doctor to die. However, as I said earlier, I don't like it if this turns out to be the answer to the whole mystery. I want something more mind blowing, and not a clone that takes a fatal shot for the Doctor.

[–]vactuna (_) 9 points 7 hours ago* (10|0)

[/QUOTE]

Advertisement