Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering with Revenue?

Options
  • 16-05-2011 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, I am setting up a new business providing a service- I am trading under my own name (as a sole trader). I was wondering if there is a cost involved in registering with revenue? also, I will prob have more outgoings that income for the first year- what happens if i make a loss at the end of the year- is there a minimum amount of tax that i would have to pay anyway?
    thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 QwertyFinger

You can pay taxes but claim back.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonua

asih wrote: »
    Hi, I am setting up a new business providing a service- I am trading under my own name (as a sole trader). I was wondering if there is a cost involved in registering with revenue?
    No, there's no cost to register with Revenue. They want to make it as easy as possible to get money from you.
    also, I will prob have more outgoings that income for the first year- what happens if i make a loss at the end of the year- is there a minimum amount of tax that i would have to pay anyway?
    Yes, you would then have to pay the health levy at 2% of your income. Also PRSI at 3% of your income.
    Disclaimer: I'm not a tax expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Hi, I am setting up a new business providing a service- I am trading under my own name (as a sole trader). I was wondering if there is a cost involved in registering with revenue? also, I will prob have more outgoings that income for the first year- what happens if i make a loss at the end of the year- is there a minimum amount of tax that i would have to pay anyway?
    thanks in advance for any advice!

Minimum is €253 for the PRSI and Health Levies.(Even if you make a loss) You will have no liability this year for prelim tax however next year when you make your return you will have to pay the €253 as mentioned above.

No cost involved in registering with the revenue but you will also have to register with the CRO which costs €20

Please go and speak with an accoutant, initial engagement meetings are usually free and last about 1-2 hours where you will gain a lot of knowledge from your accountant, then if you are happy/not happy you can discuss a price with your accountant.

Advertisement