Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clane Liffeyside Park opening this Sunday... Moths?

Options
  • 16-05-2011 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

Hi. Clane, Co. Kildare, is having an official opening of its Liffeyside park this coming Sunday 22nd May (International Biodiversity Day), where it will also unveil its new wildlife signs. All welcome. More info here: http://clanecommunity.ie/2011/05/celebrating-biodiversity-day-in-style-at-clane-liffeyside-park/. Although the park itself is small, it leads onto a very enjoyable walk by the Liffey.

With thanks to support from organisations like Bat Conservation Ireland and Kildare branch of Birdwatch Ireland, the public are welcome to come along and explore the local wildlife from 6:30pm, before the unveiling etc. begins at 7:30pm.

With some wonderful threads here on moths, I am wondering would it also be a practical opportunity to show the public some of our moths...

Would it be appropriate to set up a trap somewhere secure nearby on the Saturday night, and not show/release moths until 6:30pm the following day?

Does anyone know any moth experts around north Kildare who might be interested in supporting such an event? (someone with a moth trap?)

I should say there is a bat watch starting at 9:30 pm (from the Abbeylands Shopping Centre Car Park), so I appreciate there are some sensitivities there(!).

Please don't post anyone's phone number here - PM would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Yes it is fine to hold moths in traps during the day. They are generally at rest during the day anyway. What is important is to keep tham cool and shady, either by leaving traps under trees where no sun can get at them or placing a white sheet over the trap(s).

I do know of a couple of moth recorders in the area...one I think lives in Clane...if i can remember who...

I'll send pm when I remember :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,651 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I may just check this out on Sunday:)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Just to say thanks to everyone who turned up last Sunday, I know some folks came from this forum, and to Mothman for putting me in touch with local and very helpful moth expertise. Unfortunately the weather was terrible Saturday night so we only caught a half-dozen moths: Small Square Spot, Heart and Dart, Pale Tussock, Green Carpet, Buff Ermine, Silver-ground Carpet.

Weather for the opening itself was much better, and a Kingfisher did a flyby. Writeup here if anyone interested: http://clanecommunity.ie/2011/05/liffeyside-nature-park-a-wonderful-new-amenity-for-clane/

The article includes a link to high-res pdf of our new wildlife posters.

Photos will be added to the article when I get them - if you were there and took some pics pls consider sending them on. Thanks!

Advertisement