Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Addiction Institutions

Options
  • 16-05-2011 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    looking for advice.
    I am currently pursuing a Masters in Psychotherapy.
    My query is related to my history.
    Roughly ten years ago I attended a well known institution for addiction recovery. I subsequently attended an aftercare programme but left it shortly after. In the years following I attended a number of counsellors and slowly got my life on track. In retrospect I do not believe that my problem was ever addiction. I was an extremely unhappy young person, and my use of both alcohol and drugs reflected this. However, now I find myself in the position where I might want to approach this institution for work/training purposes, and I am afraid that the fact that I am not a tee-totaller will go against me. I assume I will not be remembered but I have no intention of lying about my time there. I could be worrying for nothing, but I am a little concerned that they might view my (very normal) drinking as an indicator that I have relapsed, without reflection upon the other circumstances in my life.

Any thoughts appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

This is a common enough problem for those working in the addiction field who have been in recovery themselves or where in treatment. It may be deemed as a relapse, especially within the confines of 12 step treatment facilities.

I can't really answer the question for you, but I would not see a need to mention it either. I know lots of people who work in the addiction area who are in "recovery" some feel the need to let others know about it, some don't. I know you say you have no intention of lying; however, there are plenty of things in my life that I don't think the HSE need to know about me, in order for me to do my job.

As you know certain centres that see addiction as "primary" would not believe in the concept of problem drinkers. Neither would they believe that a person who experienced addiction could drink without relapsing.

I'm working in the addiction area for the past 15 years so if you would want to PM about anything relating to working in the area please feel free.

Advertisement