Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this cotton wool like substance ?

Options
  • 16-05-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

I saw this in a hedge by the seaside last year on June bank holiday weekend. Is it the work of some kind of insect ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

bog cotton

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Thanks mg, but it isn't bog cotton. Bog Cotton is a grass-like sedge that grows on the open bogs, with its own stem.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Looks like some kind of eggs (insect) if you look really closely you can see tiny black dots in it, not sure what though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I think it may be plant seeds such as willow caught in the hedge. The brown bits are the remains of the seed heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Yeah, I just don't know. The first picture shows the full extent of it. The hedge is well over 100m long, but the stuff was only in this 1m wide stretch. I would think that rules out wind blow, no ? I should have investigated closer, but didn't have the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

yes it's willow seeds

Advertisement