Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling Shares - what's the tax exposure on capital gains in Ireland?

Options
  • 16-05-2011 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

I have a few shares with my company, which I maybe interested in selling.

However, an important question has come up:

What is the tax exposure on capital gains in Ireland?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to shares (the reports on Google finance confuse me no end), but all I know is that if you bought at a low price, and sell at a high price - you will make some money.

However, this could all be evaporated due to taxes & costs etc.

I know each individual's tax rate will vary, but if anyone has any pointers it would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Tax on profit is 20% (last time I checked that was the rate, may have gone up) after any expenses in relation to their sale are taken in to account. Speak with an accountant tbh as there are a few other things to take in to account too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 maxsatisfaction

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Tax on profit is 20% (last time I checked that was the rate, may have gone up) after any expenses in relation to their sale are taken in to account. Speak with an accountant tbh as there are a few other things to take in to account too.

Thanks Kinetic - I did read something on revenue.ie about it, and it mentioned 25% - but all this financial stuff is foreign to me.

My company absorbs the costs re: buying & selling stock whilst I'm still working for them, so do you know what other charges are involved? (any examples would be great)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 maxsatisfaction

Just came across the boards.ie > Biz > Taxation section, mods can you please move this thread to there?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mono627

CGT used to be 20% around 2008. It's 25% now. Not sure if you still get your first 1270 euro free or not.

Advertisement