Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motivational tips?

Options
  • 16-05-2011 8:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi all, new member on boards but it seems like a good community.

Have always written poetry and short stories, although now that im working full time, learning to drive, travelling up and down to dublin at the weekends and juggling the gym... I simply find that I dont have the effort in me to keep at it. I have loads of ideas buzzing around my head so im not short on material. I just cant cop on and start writing.

Any tips?? What keeps you on track?

Btw, as I said im a new member so i hope this is in the right forum/ doesnt go against the charter etc. If im doing anything wrong dont hesitate to put me in my place! Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Do all the actual 'writing' in the gym and on the bus - i.e. let your mind wander and when it hits on something good go with that. As soon as you get hom, write it down on whatever you have to hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 F_Fitzy

Yeah thats a good one, makes the gym a hell of a lot easier too! Mostly my problem though is the actual writing. But itll help a lot! thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Allocate a set amount of time to write. It doesn't have to be long, but the tv and the computer must be off, and you must sit at the computer and do nothing but write. Don't worry about the quality, just concentrate on getting words on paper (or screen).

I'm not a morning person, but I find I do fairly reasonable work after breakfast. Perhaps get up half an hour earlier, eat breakfast, and write until you have to go out the door? Half an hour of writing every day adds up, and there's a good chance that the urge to finish what you started will make you write a bit more in the evening.

The main thing is to set aside time every day. It's like going to the gym, you need to get your writing muscles toned up.

Advertisement