Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Cooking Club Week 19: Chorizo, mushroom, ham and onion quiche

Options
  • 15-05-2011 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

Putting this up a bit early as I won't have time tomorrow!

Quiche is my go-to summer meal when I want something light, easy to make and really tasty. It's really simple to put together and it can be tailored to suit veggies or meat lovers alike. It's also a great way to use up any leftovers you have lying around.

Ingredients:
    Shortcrust pastry (I use ready rolled because I'm lazy but if you want to make your own, there's a recipe here)
    3 large eggs
    250ml cream (unwhipped)
    100ml milk
    one onion, chopped
    six mushrooms, chopped
    ham (I had some leftover cooked ham that I used for this recipe, but three or four slices of regular ham will do just fine too)
    sliced chorizo (I use half of a packet of sliced chorizo from aldi, it's the equivalent of around 10-15 slices if you're cutting it from a sausage-sized one)
    handful of grated cheese
    salt
    pepper

Method:
    Lightly grease a 9inch round tin, then lay your pastry in the tin. Leave a bit of overhanging pastry around the edges, it'll stop the mixture from leaking later in the process. Put a few fork pricks in the pastry, then pop it into a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for around 10 minutes, or until the pastry just starts to turn golden.

IMAG0124.jpg

While the pastry is in the oven, get your filling ready. Fry the onion, ham, chorizo and mushrooms in a little oil for a couple of minutes, until they just start to brown.

IMAG0128.jpg

Next, crack the three eggs into a bowl, add the cream and milk and a teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and give them a quick whisk just until everything is combined.

IMAG0127.jpg

When the pastry is out of the oven, it's time to assemble your quiche!
    Start with a layer of grated cheese on the bottom, then put in your onion/ham/chorizo/mushroom mix, spreading it out evenly. Next, pour on the eggy mix, making sure it's spread evenly around the dish. If there are any bits of filling sticking up, push them into the egg mix.

IMAG0129.jpg

Pop it in the 180 degree oven for 20 - 30 minutes, or until the egg mixture is set. Leave to cool for a few minutes, then cut off the excess bits of pastry around the edge. Cut and serve with green salad and coleslaw.

IMAG0130.jpg

If those fillings don't appeal to you, there are countless ones you can do. Brocolli and blue cheese is amazing, as is a simple ham and cheese.
    Enjoy! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Love quiche! Would using a different shape dish affect cooking time at all? Say a rectangular oven dish? Or would it just depend on depth?

How long would this keep in the fridge for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Love quiche! Would using a different shape dish affect cooking time at all? Say a rectangular oven dish? Or would it just depend on depth?

How long would this keep in the fridge for?

I don't think a different shape dish would have any effect really, as long as it wasn't too deep. Once the egg has set and there are no more runny bits it's cooked enough.
    I've kept it for two days in the fridge and it's been fine, and you can freeze it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Made this earlier in the week and it was devoured in no time. I didn't have mushrooms so I subbed in some tomatoes which might have made the crust a bit damper but it was delish. I used mozzarella and some parmesan which gave it a lovely richness. Would definitely make it again.

Thanks for the recipe TeletextPear.

yimrsg wrote: »
    Made this earlier in the week and it was devoured in no time. I didn't have mushrooms so I subbed in some tomatoes which might have made the crust a bit damper but it was delish. I used mozzarella and some parmesan which gave it a lovely richness. Would definitely make it again.

Thanks for the recipe TeletextPear.

Awesome, glad you enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I don't think a different shape dish would have any effect really, as long as it wasn't too deep. Once the egg has set and there are no more runny bits it's cooked enough.
    Thing is, corners will set faster than the centre for a rectangular/square dish :( Circular seems to be less troublesome.

But hey, it's quiche, doesn't have to be perfect :D And it's great as fridge velcro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

This is in the oven now. I didn't have enough pastry to have the overlapping edges as you advised, so it mightn't be too aesthetically pleasing. :) Otherwise it looked good. The fillings are the cheese, milk, cream and eggs as you advised, with mushrooms, bacon and broccoli. I'm really looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

2ivb2jb.jpg

Delicious. I wish I had used smokey bacon - will know for next time. Thanks!

That looks amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'd forgotten how much I love quiche. It was my first time using shop bought pastry. It was tasty but it wasn't big enough (or round enough!) for my tin and my patchwork failed so there was a bit of leakage so I lobbed it on a baking tray. Meh, it was lovely. Thanks for the recipe. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Went and made some with bacon, cheese (infused with chillis), broccolli (raw, it cooks as the quiche does) and green onions (cheese-n-onion! :D) on the weekend. Served as lunch and dinner over two days. Delicious. Can't remember the last time I made a quiche from scratch, thanks for planting the idea! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Had to make this one, TeletextPear!

I used pancetta, some diced chorizo, black olives, broccoli and some fried aubergine. I also used homemade pastry from Mr. Des' Cornish pasties recipe.

It was yummy! Thank you!

picture.php?albumid=1409&pictureid=9578

BTW, neuro-praxis, yours looks awesome!

Looks great Little Alex!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I made this tonight, have been meaning to make my own for ages but never got round to it.
    Whenever I get quiche for lunch its just bloody egg with a sniff of ham and cheese - this was like a dinner. The only thing I did different was add red peppers because I basically have them with every meal, apart from cornflakes.
    Great recipe.

906.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made this earlier tonight and it was lovely. My Mam used to always make quiche when I was younger with just cooked sausages and rashers and an egg and milk mix, used to love it.

Didn't fancy making the shortcrust pastry from scratch so I bought some ready made tonight, but unfortunately the packet said it would take 2 - 3 hours to defrost :o so I had to make it from scratch. Don't think I'm cut out to make shortcrust pasty though. Second time making it for a cooking club recipe and second time it didn't turn out great. First time I made it by hand, this time I made it in the food processor.

That said, I loved the combination of the the flavours/ingredients in this recipe, but I'll probably leave out the cream next time and just up the amount of eggs as it seemed a little too rich, and didn't seem to set enough.

Thanks OP

dsc0372o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not a total success as I didn't have a dish so the edges got rather crisped (only took 5 mins as well) It looks more like a pizza!

quiche.jpg

update Just had some cold, definitely tastes better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

My pastry was a bit too crumbly, but it tasted delicious. Anything with chorizo in it and im sold !!!

2upxts8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

gonna give this a spin this evening/or tomorrow evening when i get home.:)

sponge_bob wrote: »
    gonna give this a spin this evening/or tomorrow evening when i get home.:)

Super, let us know how it turns out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Super, let us know how it turns out :)

made this the other day and it was a big hit.
    i made my own pastry for this, but when i put it in the oven it shrank

i doubled up the portions of everything except the cream as we have 3 kids and added a few extra.
    chorizo, salami, smoked rashers, peppers, mushrooms and onions
    2011-06-16 17.42.13.jpg

all frying away in the pan
    2011-06-16 18.02.10.jpg

and the end result
    2011-06-16 18.35.28.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I made this a few days ago, using the pastry recipe you linked to. The quiche mix was lovely - very light and it cooked perfectly in the recommended time.

The pastry was not so hot. It seemed kind of soggy, even though I blind-baked it first. I think it was because I made it by hand and probably added too much water. Too lazy to get the food processor out!

I'll try again soon though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made this again last night with a couple of minor adjustments. I used six extra large eggs (no cream) and just cooked some Superquinn sausages and rashers and cut them into bit size pieces.

I did use the pre-made pastry which was real handy.

photozqb.jpg
    Twas bootiful!!

Every time I check this thread my mouth literally starts to moisten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Made this at the weekend and it was fab. Used the ready made pastry and added leeks, spring onion, courgette, pancetta, mushrooms and cheese. It was so easy to make. Thanks OP. :D

dscn0908o.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Alternatively....

You can replace the conventional method of using shortcrust pastry with puff pastry (as my OH did this evening). You can see the results below:pac::pac:

31082011400.jpg

It was delicious!:D

Back with a taste report later...:)

QuicheA.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have this in the oven right now, it's all very exciting. :)

The pastry I bought wasn't quite big enough for the dish though, so it won't be perfect!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Eh voila! Poor camera phone pic taken in low light, sorry!

Bacon, tomato, mushrooms, chorizo, onion, grated cheese & spinach.

207845.jpg

mike65 wrote: »
    Back with a taste report later...:)

Fine warm, better cold but I always prefer quiche, pasties etc from the fridge.

Advertisement