Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physiotherapy

Options
  • 15-05-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hello :)

I am interested in studying physiotherapy next year, would anyone be able to give me an insight into the course itself, and the work involved? Also, what does a normal days work as a physio involve? Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

Right here I go.

Just finished 3rd year in UCD doing physio so going into 4th year come September (fingers crossed)
    Basically this is what the course is divided into
    Stage 1: Two anatomy modules, two physiologoy modules, intro to healthcare modules, some physics and some chemistry and biochemistry. You'll have one week of placement during your midterm break in March

Stage 2: Three musculoskeletal modules where you learn commong pathologies and how to treat them. A neurology module, a cardiorespiratory modules as well as psychology of sport, more physics modules aswell (focusing on biomechanics) You'll have two weeks of placement during your Chirstmas holidays

Stage 3: start off by starting placement in the middle of August and you run straight through to Christmas so say goodbye to a month of your summer and your social life until Christmas! Three placements here in a 6,5,5 week block. Then the 2nd semester consists of more nuero, cardioresp, clinical exercise, sociology of health and preparation for a disseration

And that's as far as I've got! Basically there are three core ares to the day to day job as a physio. You'll either be placed in Neuro, musculoskeletal or resp.
    Neuro is helping people walking etc after strokes, RTAs etc
    Musculoskeletal is either outpatients where ppl come in with their aches and pains or inpatients where you attend to people after operations
    Resp is helping people clear secretions and maintain their O2 saturation etc

Its a hard but enjoyable course and be ready to never have a full summer again, they never give you a full one!

Anyway hopes this helps, any more questions just ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭montown

Thanks a million for your response! Course sounds really interesting as you described it! What do you mean by never getting a full summer though? Also, were you placed in neuro, musculoskeletal or resp? What was your experience like on placement? Finally, is there many hours in first year? I understand it's not going to be a walk in the park type course, but I wouldn't be too keen on constant studying and lectures in first year, and having no social life!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭swatch

I'm just finished first year and I can safely say while there's a bit of study to be done if you want to pass your exams, I still managed to have a pretty decent social life :D We had practically no hours in 2nd semester! It's a great course, I absolutely love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

swatch wrote: »
    I'm just finished first year

Do you have any idea if the amount of places is increasing or not? I'm hoping to study Physio in UCD but 535 is high :eek:

Tbh I've really no clue, all I know is there was about 57 in my class this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 400

I did my LC last year and had my heart set on physio and the LC turned out to be a disaster so I didn't get the points. But a friend of mine told me about a course in Carlow IT , Physiology and Health Science and I had it down on my CAO for the craic, ended up getting offered it and love it! It's a 2yr course and then you can apply to do physio in the UK, I didnt really know what to make of the course starting but I love it. Practically everyone in the class wanted to do physio or OT and for one reason or another didnt get the points. It's worth throwing down on the CAO if you want to do physio as a back up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Davidmator

What are the hours for lectures everyday?? Is it a 9-5 sort of day?:confused:

In first year no not at all!! Think we had 12 hours in semester 2 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Davidmator

In first year no not at all!! Think we had 12 hours in semester 2 :)

Oh right...and is it like a 9 start? I have no clue how the lectures are structured! :confused:

https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/W_WEB_GENERAL_TT.P_TIMETABLE_DETAIL?p_sem=1&p_program=BHPHY001&p_con=G&p_stage=1

There's your timetable I think roughly...take out intro to massage and collaborative learning as they're just selected electives for you to do :) This will probably change around a bit depending on how you make up your timetable but it gives you an idea at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭rachums

im looking to do the massage elective, i was told it was reserved for the physios - can anyone tell me if this is true and what the module is actually called?!

Thank you! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 inspiron74

I'm just finished first year and I can safely say while there's a bit of study to be done if you want to pass your exams, I still managed to have a pretty decent social life :D We had practically no hours in 2nd semester! It's a great course, I absolutely love it!
    Hello,
    I'm repeating my leaving cert got 430pts last year but didn't really know what I wanted to do, I didn't kill myself studying last year and ended up messing up my CAO. I am heavily involved in sport. TBH I am interested in the course but I'm not mad about rubbing men for my future career I won't mind women tho..haha :) I know this might be immature or even childish and I don't know if your a lad but I was just wondering did you feel turned off like me or do you become accustom to what the job requires while studying..???

Advertisement