Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland: North-West (north of Galway bay)

• 15-05-2011 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭WildWater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

Anyone stayed in either of the sites in Achill? Thinking of heading there for the bank holiday but can't find a lot of info on either just what is on Camping Ireland's website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭waterboy15

wonderworm wrote: »
    Anyone stayed in either of the sites in Achill? Thinking of heading there for the bank holiday but can't find a lot of info on either just what is on Camping Ireland's website.

See alanrogers.com/IR8730 they list their preferred sites throughout europe. Keelsandybanks caravan and camping park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭leana

This is a nice campsite in a lovely setting stayed there for a couple of nights recently. It's not massive value at €34 a night for 2 adults and 2 kids but after that there were no other charges for showers/elec/awnings. It's in a lovely setting, the showers and toilets are clean and well maintained. There's no kids playground on the campsite, there are some sandpits, but there is a playground just 2 minutes walk away near the offices. We only realised after leaving that there is access to the mayo greenway from Westport House if you're into your cycling.

Also, you get 10% off tickets to westport house if you're staying at the campsite.

I'd say this place gets very busy during the summer but I'd definitely go back:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭waterboy15

leana wrote: »
    This is a nice campsite in a lovely setting stayed there for a couple of nights recently. It's not massive value at €34 a night for 2 adults and 2 kids but after that there were no other charges for showers/elec/awnings. It's in a lovely setting, the showers and toilets are clean and well maintained. There's no kids playground on the campsite, there are some sandpits, but there is a playground just 2 minutes walk away near the offices. We only realised after leaving that there is access to the mayo greenway from Westport House if you're into your cycling.

Also, you get 10% off tickets to westport house if you're staying at the campsite.

I'd say this place gets very busy during the summer but I'd definitely go back:)

Very expensive i thinks

• Advertisement

Agreed waterboy15, I have ranted about the price of Irish campsites before, but if you want to go anywhere that'll have kids activities, then this is a normal price. As campsites in this country go, this was a nice one.

leana wrote: »
    TThere's no kids playground on the campsite, there are some sandpits, but there is a playground just 2 minutes walk away near the offices. We only realised after leaving that there is access to the mayo greenway from Westport House if you're into your cycling.

In addition to the outdoor playground there is an indoor one that you are also allowed use when camping. It is upstairs near the bar area.

The greenway is great. Ideal for family cycles as no worries with passing traffic. We were on it over Easter.

Check out http://www.greenway.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,486 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Has anyone stayed in The Atlantic Caravan and Camping Park in Enniscrone? Any views on it as a camp site. We'd be going with two under 4. Thanks.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Has anyone stayed in The Atlantic Caravan and Camping Park in Enniscrone? Any views on it as a camp site. We'd be going with two under 4. Thanks.

Great location if you get the weather as it's right on the beach. The campsite itself is in need of major overhaul, showers are crap and no playground for kids.. only sandpits, although that's probably plenty for smallies. If the weather won't let you to the beach there's not a whole lot else on site but you do have waterpoint in Enniscrone and tumble jungle in ballina to keep the kids entertained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

Stayed in Westport House campsite over the weekend. It was €36 for 2 adults and 1 child.They were booked out with the Gael Force West on. Couldnt complain about it but ithink they put the price up as someone else said it was €34.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 jullian

Another great campsite is Actons Beachside Caravan & camping Eco-Park
    www.actonsbeachsidecamping.com This campsite is on the a beautiful private beach just out side Clifden.smile.gif

jullian wrote: »
    Another great campsite is Actons Beachside Caravan & camping Eco-Park
    www.actonsbeachsidecamping.com This campsite is on the a beautiful private beach just out side Clifden.smile.gif

Yes I missed that one on my list and unfortunately cannot edit the post now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,486 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Stayed in Rosses Point in the end rather than Enniscrone (surfing dropped off the agenda). Site is laid out a bit all over the place, and some pitches really wouldn't have suited us with the two young 'uns. Facilities were grand - small playground, only really suitable for young children. Beach is perfect for the kids though - nearly too calm for older ones (and dad's ;) ) who'd want a bit of body boarding. Rosses Point itself is a bit mad - a few places to eat, but unless we completely missed a main street, only a very small (and relatively expensive) shop, and no pass machine or anything. It's like the coastal village that time forgot!

Re: Prices, they are a complete rip off in this state. But in fairness to Westport House quoted above, when it includes hook up and showers etc it's not that above the going rate (unfortunately). One place we stayed was even looking for tokens for hot water in the campers kitchen ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kimakazie

Hi guys, just wondering has anyone overnited at Rosses Point Sligo near the yaught club, or does anyone know of a better spot in the general area ?

Thanks in advance,

Kimakazie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Printer

Hey

I was there pretty recently and it is quite nice but expensive in my view. Lovely views out on the beach if you get one of those spots. It wasn't noisy or anything when I was there and the facilities seem quite good too. I was only there one night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kimakazie

Thanks Printer, for the reply,
    While you were in the area did you notice any No camping signs at the lower car park or even any possible locations for a bit of wild camping in the general area,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 old westie

kimakazie wrote: »
    Thanks Printer, for the reply,
    While you were in the area did you notice any No camping signs at the lower car park or even any possible locations for a bit of wild camping in the general area,

Thanks

Those signs at lower car park are for the Travelling community, they cause major problems there and generally all over the country. No problem parking there or at Harry's pub carpark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bluethunder

Forget Rosses Point and drive 20 minutes on the Donegal Road to Streedagh. Tons of space to wild camp there and a much better beach than RP. Be careful where you park though because the water can creep up quite quickly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Took the camper to Streedagh last year, lovely location and a nice wedge tomb from about 2700BC on a small hill at the far end of the beach
    streedagh.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 henesseg

We're thinking of going up to Westport for St. Patricks. Does anyone have an update on overnighting on the Quay?

• Advertisement
Advertisement