Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland: South-West (south of Galway Bay)

Options
  • 15-05-2011 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Ok, so first weekend out this weekend (may bank holiday weekend) and I thought I'd ramble a bit about how I got on.

We headed off from Sligo down as far as Doolin. On advice from people here, we went to Nagles in Doolin.

We headed through lisdoonvarna and there were some serious hills to get up, and climb. hard work for the van and it chewed it up no problem.

It was a lovely park, everything was really clean, and the grass was kept short. Each bay had water, waste and electricity. The main toilet block was spotless and really big. Even the 24 hr toilets were very clean. Showers were token use, as were the gas hobs in the campers kitchen. Two cooking hobs and three sinks. There was also a proper chemical toilet in the place too. It wasn't overly expensive to stay there, and with the weather it was amazing. There was also a watering bay for the campers to fill up on water as you were leaving.

First thing i noticed was those damn bugs on my nice clean van.
    Campervan_adventures_129.jpg

It was a nice place....

Campervan_adventures_131.jpg

So we stayed there on Saturday night and headed for the Cliffs of Moher. At the bottom of the road there was a sign saying no Caravans and no Buses. Figured out why when we went up the road. Man there were some hills and the van had to work getting up them.

The Cliffs

Campervan_adventures_162.jpg

We headed down to Lehinch from there and stayed in Ocean View Park. To be honest it was a bit of a kip.
    The whole park was on a slope, and no attempt to have the bays level at all. Even the guys with the ramps weren't high enough. There were only two toilets and two showers and they were smelly. The chemical toilet was an AJ into the sewer line. The bins were locked with hours between 9 and 6. Even during that time we couldn't get to dump our rubbish. I wouldn't recommend this park at all.

Anyway, gotta say Hi to Jimmy if he reads this. Met a guy who couldn't get his van started. It was a 96 Ducato. We swopped batteries from my van to his and away he went. I figured I'd help, as I would like to think that if I was in the same boat someone would help me out too. Anyway, he offered that if we were ever in his neck of the woods he would give us a plug in and use of showers etc.. which was really nice of him. I felt part of a community.....

Anyway, we decided that it would be a fun exercise to count the number of campers on the road, not including caravans or campers in parks. In total we counted 75 vans on the road, which was a lot.

I thought there was a code amongst campervanners where you'd wave..... I only got 6 waves, most people never bothered. Wonder is it because its not easily recognizable as a camper, as its certainly distinctive.

We also learned that the skylight needs something inside the van to cover it so it blocks the light in the early mornings, and you can sleep in a little past 7

All in all it was a great weekend, and we enjoyed it immensely. Will be hitting the roads again sometime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Posted this in the main forum, but posting again for reference! Took a few extra days off work over Easter to make use of the two long weekends and went around Cork and Kerry (in order):

- Clonakilty, Cork. Stayed in Desert House for one night, nice family run site. Good location, walking distance to town and a 5 minute drive to the Inchydoney beach.

- Baltimore, Cork. Went to Sherkin Island and stayed in a B&B for a night as it wasn't possible to bring the van over.

- Glenbeigh, Kerry. Stayed in caravan park called Glenross. Very modern, good facilities. A stone's throw from the village and a 2km drive to the beach (Rossbeigh)

- Caherciveen, Kerry. Stayed in Mannix Point Caravan Park - fantastic place, great character to it has a great BBQ area and a communal room with a range of instruments for a good session after the pub!! Bit of a walk from town.

- Caherdaniel, Kerry. Stayed in Glenbeg Caravan Park, facilities were lacking a bit I think most people stay in Wave Crest about 300m up the road. Most caravans are for rent and we were the only camper but just couldn't turn down parking up right beside the beach and 20m from a fantasic beach bar with great food and atmosphere! I wouldn't really recommend the caravan site, we were also put on a grass standing which was very uneven - was not comfortable!

- Castlegregory, Kerry. Sandy Bar 2 Caravan Park - mainly a park for mobile homes, we were the only camper there but owner was a sound man. It's a bit far from town and facilities were good and clean but was at the bare minimum. Brandon Bay is right at the back of the caravan park. Most people camp in between the dunes in this area, but there's no toilet facilities in the van so a campsite was the only option.

- Banna Bay, Kerry. Stayed at Sir Rogers - nice caravan park, 200m from the Banna hotel and 100m from the beach. Lots of other campers/caravanners around so good buzz around the park. Tralee was €15 in a taxi so good for a bit of grub in the evening or a few pints.

Great trip in the van, got to see most of the Ring of Kerry and went to most of the beaches in the area. Pity there isn't a caravan park around Dingle/Inch area as would have liked to stayed around there for a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vincent coffey

stevire wrote: »

- Caherdaniel, Kerry. Stayed in Glenbeg Caravan Park, facilities were lacking a bit I think most people stay in Wave Crest about 300m up the road. Most caravans are for rent and we were the only camper but just couldn't turn down parking up right beside the beach and 20m from a fantasic beach bar with great food and atmosphere! I wouldn't really recommend the caravan site, we were also put on a grass standing which was very uneven - was not comfortable!

Steve, after hearing this we avoided glenbeg and went straight to Wave crest the week before last.
    What a place.
    Amazing little nooks to camp in, all with spectacular views of the Beara penninsula.
    Toilets and shower clean and well maintained. They look like they are serviced every hour.
    Shop and good restauraunt at the top of the site (steep hill).
    Derrynane bay just minutes away for beach bums and surfers.
    15 minutes from sneem.
    All in all worth the 4 hour drive from dublin.
    Word of warning though, we were lucky with the weather.
    If it rains it would be a different place altogether (but then thats ireland in general)

View from our kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

http://www.kingdomcamping.com/website/
    This campsite puts every other site we have stayed on to shame. It is a 4 star site and it is 4-star standard. The pitches all have individual water taps and drain holes at the side of the pitch. All pitches are level or very close to it and the grass areas are very well drained.

There's lots of room for kids to play and they welcome bikes and dogs. There is a decent playground, good games room, tv/dvd room, cafe/shop and free wifi. The site is 10 minutes walk to the centre of Tralee and less to cinema, aquadome and museum. Banna beach is 15-20 minute drive and a little further to Castlegregory and Inch.

Best of all about this site is the price. We have a large family and are used to paying €40-€45 per night at a 2/3 star site. We were charged €33 per night in Woodlands.

The week we stayed in July, the site was close to full every night but standards never dropped.

Great site and just a pity that more sites in Ireland can't do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

Steve, after hearing this we avoided glenbeg and went straight to Wave crest the week before last.
    What a place.
    Amazing little nooks to camp in, all with spectacular views of the Beara penninsula.
    Toilets and shower clean and well maintained. They look like they are serviced every hour.
    Shop and good restauraunt at the top of the site (steep hill).
    Derrynane bay just minutes away for beach bums and surfers.
    15 minutes from sneem.
    All in all worth the 4 hour drive from dublin.
    Word of warning though, we were lucky with the weather.
    If it rains it would be a different place altogether (but then thats ireland in general)

View from our kitchen

thanks for this Vincent .. we are hoping to stay there in August .. is it safe enough for small kids?? looks very hilly and close to the water

excellent photo!

• Advertisement

db wrote: »
    This campsite puts every other site we have stayed on to shame. It is a 4 star site and it is 4-star standard. The pitches all have individual water taps and drain holes at the side of the pitch. All pitches are level or very close to it and the grass areas are very well drained.

There's lots of room for kids to play and they welcome bikes and dogs. There is a decent playground, good games room, tv/dvd room, cafe/shop and free wifi. The site is 10 minutes walk to the centre of Tralee and less to cinema, aquadome and museum. Banna beach is 15-20 minute drive and a little further to Castlegregory and Inch.

Best of all about this site is the price. We have a large family and are used to paying €40-€45 per night at a 2/3 star site. We were charged €33 per night in Woodlands.

The week we stayed in July, the site was close to full every night but standards never dropped.

sounds like a brilliant site (and from the website it looks excellent).. now we have to decide between that and Wave Crest!! .. decisions! decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tradtshirt

Did 3 nights in Garretstown house near Kinsale in Co Cork july 2011.

Can highly recommend. Clean, friendly, good for families. Quiet (mostly) at night. Close to beach (15 min walk), surfing and kayaking lessons available.
    Great playground, indoor toddlers area, campers kitchen.
    Their website doesn't do the place justice.
    http://www.garrettstownhouse.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Hi Folks,

I'm hoping to head down to Dingle in September with the family (wife and two young kids) in our van.

Would anyone have any experience on the campsite near Dingle? This is the only one I've found thus far:

http://www.camping-ireland.ie/parks/kerry/14-campail-teach-an-aragail-oratory-house-camping.html

Thanks.

OB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

stevire wrote: »
    - Clonakilty, Cork. Stayed in Desert House for one night, nice family run site. Good location, walking distance to town and a 5 minute drive to the Inchydoney beach.
    - Caherciveen, Kerry. Stayed in Mannix Point Caravan Park - fantastic place, great character to it has a great BBQ area and a communal room with a range of instruments for a good session after the pub!! Bit of a walk from town.

Agree fully - also Mannix P oint have free internet hotspot! (Sneak down Friday and pretend to be working from home!)

Laraugh, Kerry. Stay at Creveen Lodge. Remote (it's on the Healy Pass)but has stunning views. You are allowed small fires and there is a campers' kitchen and a TV room - kept the kids happy when it rained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Hi there.

hoping to head around Beara peninsula next week. Looking for any recommendations for sites and other stopover places with the camper van. I am thinking of staying in sites in bantry and glengariff but unsure as to whats available further out around the mizen/allihies/eyeries areas...

thanks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

There is a site in Allihies right next to the beach, basic facilities but nice spot. Haven't stayed but I believe you can stopover at Mizen Head in the car park. There is a car park field in Crookhaven where you can overnight, turn right at the entrance to the village, should be signed. Any problems just ask in Billy Sullivans pub. Its also possible to wildcamp at Galley Cove on the road to Crookhaven. Enjoy

corkbuoy

Hey there,

Just back from a week in Wavecrest in Caherdaniel.

A long drive from Sligo last Sat so we didn't get there until about 6:30 so most of the good sites had been taken .. we ended up putting the tent (Vango 8 man) just outside the toilet block .. even before we had the tent out of the boot a guy from a campervan came over and warned us that not only was this the toilet block but also the campervans emptied their waste just beside us. There was a bit of a smell.

I had a look around and couldn't find anywhere else .. so we pitched there, Mrs S. didn't get smell (!) .. we stayed there for two nights .. it was quite open and I was thinking of leaving as I actually found it a bit depressing and didn't want to stay there any longer.

On Monday a lot of the weekenders started to head off and we spotted a new site .. and what a site! Right at the top of the campsite .. overlooking the sea and the rest of the campsite.

We packed everything up and carried the tent over .. took nearly an hour.. there was a few rocks . so weren't to sure if the tent would fit, we had a few inches spare.. it wasn't as sheltered as the other site and the wind was a bit rough .. had images of us ending up in Kenmare Bay in the middle of the night. The wind died down and we got the tent up no probs.

6046197925_6ae93da840.jpg

6046745516_b6e58c6fdd.jpg

the view was stunning, we have 3yr and 5yr old kids to keep us on our toes so we had to be very careful with them at the edge .. there wasn't a huge drop as there was ledges just under the edge.

we had three fantastic days up on this edge .. the wind wasn't too bad .. i think there was one night where the tent got a good testing!

Wavecrest is very well maintained .. everytime I was in the toilet block there was someone cleaning it, the shop on site was well stocked with everything you could need, there was also a cafe.

My only disappointment was the childrens play area .. in the brochures and on the website it mentions "a fully equipped play area for children" .. this was two swings and a slide in a sandy area, beside a bank of rubbish bins not far from the toilet block, on two occasions I saw kids running across the tops of the rubbish bins, the site seemed to be full of family so its a pity about the play area.

It seemed very good for watersports as there was lots of Canoes there, we went on a rib tour one day which was great

Overall we enjoyed our stay but I'm not sure if I would go back.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

We are considering heading towards Kilkee, Co. Clare for the weekend with our caravan. Anyone got any feedback/experience on the "Green Acres" campsite, Doonaha, Co. Clare ?

Thank you.
    Valerie

ValerieR wrote: »
    We are considering heading towards Kilkee, Co. Clare for the weekend with our caravan. Anyone got any feedback/experience on the "Green Acres" campsite, Doonaha, Co. Clare ?

Thank you.s
    Valerie
    We camped there last year..it's ok..the camping area wasn't all that best, the toilet block was looked after very well..it's a bit out of the way..sort of in the middle of nowhere...there was no shop nearby..or pub..but there was a lovely were beach about ten . If I was going back that way I would look for something more central
    Sean

We stayed in "The Hungry Hill Lodge" in Adrigole on the Beara Peninsula a few years ago. We had a very enjoyable stay there. I don't really know much about the facilities there though as we went there for a St Patrick's weekend and the camping's toilet blocks wasn't open yet - we used the Lodge's which were nice.
    Fantastic area - Enjoy ! :)
    Valerie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Toured the Beara Peninsula clockwise last week, Dursey Island cable car and all.
    The whole tour takes in some of the most fantastic scenery which rates among the best you will see anywhere in Europe.
    We overnighted at Ballydonegan next to Allihies and moved on next morning via Eyeries to Kenmare.

IMPORTANT NOTE: if touring in this area, Allihies to Eyeries is really spectacular, quite narrow in places but very doable, (6.8m A class) there is however one very steep decent (1st. gear plus the odd dab on the brakes) which could cause problems if approached from the Eyeries direction.

db wrote: »
    ...........Best of all about this site is the price. We have a large family and are used to paying €40-€45 per night at a 2/3 star site. We were charged €33 per night in Woodlands.

Woodlands tried out a 'closed' season special for motorhomes last year (right through the winter) for €15 per night including EHU. Water and dumping facilities were available but only the 'disabled' toilet was in use (the main facilities were drained down to prevent frost damage and would not have been economical to heat).
    Here's hoping it will be repeated again this winter.
    Not sure of the precise start and finish dates for the offer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

There were signs up during the summer that they would be open weekends through the winter after the October weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    We camped there last year..it's ok..the camping area wasn't all that best, the toilet block was looked after very well..it's a bit out of the way..sort of in the middle of nowhere...there was no shop nearby..or pub..but there was a lovely were beach about ten . If I was going back that way I would look for something more central
    Sean

There's a new place open this Summer, see purecamping.ie Again its not at the heart of things - about 4 miles from Kilkee, but lovely area. Designed for tents but can take campervans in a carpark area. Not set up for caravans (as yet anyway).

There's probably is a need/demand for a decent touring park in South West Clare - everything in Kilkee seems to be mobile homes for Limerick contingent. Doonbeg has Tubridy's, and in Kilrush there's Aylevaroo, but both seem to be much the same (i.e. all mobile homes) - Green Acres the same. There's one tiny place in Doonbeg for caravans/motorhomes, less that a mile from the village, but I'd say facilities are v basic.

Hi Folks,

We spent the first two weeks of September in the kingdom. Figured I take 5 minutes to write it up :)

We were travelling with our two kids, the eldest was 2 and a half and the youngest at 3 months in our van, a ’01 Knaus Sun-Traveller. “Energy-Management” was the one of the main requirements of the trip, any parent of a toddler will know why! Unfortunately I didn’t factor us getting the remnants of two hurricanes during the time away so good weather was at a minimum, ah well, the joys of stay-cactioning.

We started off in Ballybunion, visiting relatives so no campsites. It was windy and wet for the weekend there so pretty nasty. It does have a good kids playground up from the beach and a decent amusement arcade (well, decent in that it was dry and provided shelter from the rain!). The beach is lovely there when the sun is out, ah well.

Then off down to Tralee where we stayed at Kingdom Camping: ( http://www.kingdomcamping.com/website/ ). These guys were 21 euros a night for the lot of us, which was excellent, good facilities also. It was pretty quiet as the weather was super nasty. We got through the night though, the English gang in the tent across from us didn’t fair so well. I felt sorry for them looking out from the relative comfort of the van. I brought my eldest to the Aqua-dome for the morning, which at 15 euros for me (he was free) is pretty pricey (considering it was off-peak) but I guess good for teenagers. We also visited Toby World (http://www.tobyworld.ie/ ) a great new play centre in Tralee which was excellent. With the forecast starting to look better we hit the road to Dingle.

Dingle, which was pretty busy (I guess it always is), has heaps to do and see. There is a pay car park at the dock there, a euro an hour with plenty of vans parked up. We headed to the aquarium for an afternoon, plus the new seal sanctuary (http://www.dinglesanctuary.com/DWSS/Welcome.html) which also has a great playground (although it was misty/rainy my son enjoyed it). The sanctuary also has a lovely café with nice food, recommended.

While down there we stayed at Gallarus (http://www.dingleactivities.com/camp&caravan.html), which was 25 euros a night. Facilities are a little bit dated but it’s a nice site and only 10 minutes from Dingle (driving that is). We visited Wine Strand and got to witness a beached dolphin getting rescued, fair play to the rescue crew, and we enjoyed the beach, although it was still raining!

After a few days in Dingle we hit the road to Killarney. We stayed at two different park there, White Bridge (http://www.killarneycamping.com/) which was the most expensive campsite of the trip at 33 euros a night, but a good well maintained site and close to Killarney town. We also stayed at White Villa farm (http://www.killarneycaravanpark.com/content/) which was 31 euros a night, a bit further out than White Bridge but also a decent site.

Killarney has heaps to see and do with the kids, we visited buddies (http://www.buddies.ie) a great play center, Muckross Pet Farm (http://www.familyfun.ie/muckross-pet-farm-kilarney/) which was good, although a bit small, its family run and they were engaging to chat with. There’s also Coolwood Wildlife Park (http://www.coolwoodwildlifepark.com/) which has loads of small animals for the kids to view, plus the people working there were sound out and when out of their way to chat with us and show us the animals.

From Killarney we cruised through Jackie Healy Rae country to Kenmare. The remnants of Hurricane Katia was forecast so very windy for a couple of days. On that basis we bailed out of the van and got a good deal in the Kenmare Bay Hotel (http://www.kenmarebayhotel.com/) for two nights. They were well set up for the kids so we had fun in the pool and had a sit down meal for a change. I also timed it well with the rugby so caught the highlights of Irelands first game in the Hotel bar. The van was safely parked up out back out of the wind 

Finally the forecast was showing some sun on the way so we headed south on the Ring of Kerry to Caherdaniel. I drove against the buses but to be honest we only encountered a couple where I needed to pull in to let them pass. The road from Kenmare out is a nightmare but once you get to Castlecove it starts to improve. We stayed at Wave Crest (http://www.wavecrestcamping.com/) at 27 euros a night and worth every penny for the spectacular views and great location. The weather was still bad when we pulled in and it was pretty quiet but we gladly awoke to sunshine the next morning and a beautiful view to cheer our soggy souls. A lovely day was spent down at Derrynane beach which was badly needed.

After a couple of days there we hit the road again, starting the journey home. We didn’t go too far though and stayed a night at Mannix point campsite (http://www.campinginkerry.com/), again another lovely campsite, 27 euros again I think. Cahirciveen wouldn’t be the most modern of Kerry towns but its unique and a good location for walks, visiting Valentia, etc. It also has a good playground which is opposite the Garda station. While my young lad played I got to watch guards leading men down to the courthouse in handcuffs, not something you see everyday I suppose!

Finally the rain was back to so hit the road back to Galway. We stopped along the way at Crag Cave (http://www.cragcave.com/). We didn’t get down into the cave but my son had a ball at the play center, which is a savage setup for the kids. We also enjoyed a lovely lunch there, overall quite impressed. Its only 2 minutes off the main roads also which is handy.

Just as well we got out of Kerry when we did, I wouldn’t have fancied driving down there (I’ve a –D- reg) the day after the All-Ireland Final :D

OB.

• Advertisement

ValerieR wrote: »
    "Green Acres" campsite, Doonaha, Co. Clare ?
    Scarlet42 wrote: »
    Sean

We did go to the "Green Acres" campsite on the 29/30th of August. The campsite wasn't very busy (Mon/Tue) and it was just perfect.

Most of the site is occupied by statics but the area for travelling holiday makers is quite nice. The few hard stands are made of concrete, the site greenery is very well kept, the toilet block might be a little old fashioned but perfectly clean. The owners were very helpful as I ran into a little electric problem). They are renovating an outbuilding and once finished, it will include a campers' kitchen. The nearby beach is also nice, to my dog's greatest delight!

It is indeed quite remote but highly recommended; Carrigaholt is the closest village - the 'big' shops are in Kilrush (easy to gather up provisions for a few days on your way). It's a perfect place to set up base and explore the peninsula. From there, we went to explore Kilkee, Kilrush, took the boat out with Carrigaholt Dolphinwatch and also visited the Loop Head lighthouse.

Valerie :)

Hi OB,
    Glad you enjoyed your visit to 'the kingdom' but I cringed when I read that you had to pay €30 plus for some of your nights, 'off season', this is serious rip off territory :mad:

Off season you should be able to get an overnight stop in a campsite for a price in the region of €15.

For next year why not do the sums for a trip to France, for a start the ferry should be in the region of €315 (Celtic Link with club discount) and overnights at Aires for free or from €11 at selected ACSI camp sites plus cheaper diesel and booze to bring home for Christmas :D

Thanks Niloc,

I have done the sums and have already been to France 6 times, done more milage in my van on French roads than Irish ones! This year we have a new addition to the family and my wife wanted to stay close to home, so no trip to France, :( , ah well, we got pretty skanked with the weather so already planning a early season trip to France for next year ;)

I agree entirely with your criticism of the campsite prices but I don't want my post to turn into another discussion on rip-off Ireland. I only posted the prices so people have an idea on the costings of the trip.

Hoping to get the van on the road again this weekend, please let the weather stay good :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bobthedog

Hi all, Im traveling to Killarney on the 16th of Feb for two nights. Looked into campsites online and they all seem to be closed until at least March. Is there anywhere safe for us to park up that might be near the town itself?
    Cheers in advance......

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭denmar

Motorhomes are quite often parked on Ross road. Very near town centre too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pedro500

Just spent a fantastic week with the family in The Kingdom, pitching up at Ballyheigue Golf Club (couple of mins walk from the strand), The Smuggler's Inn and Skellig Bay Golf Club in Waterville (a couple of mins on bike to village) and finally Drumquinna Manor 5km outside Kenmare.
    The first three we wild camped with permission and they were more than happy to let us stay in the corner of large car parks and we gave them our custom in terms of golf/food/drinks etc Very friendly and welcoming in all instances and I'd imagine as long as people are well behaved and don't take the mick most businesses would not have an issue with such arrangements in this climate as any business is welcome. All three were quiet and felt safe which was a priority with a couple of kids in tow.
    Drumquinna Manor was the only official site we stayed on and I certainly wouldn't begrudge John Brennan 30euro a night for spottlessly clean, spacious new facilities with free wifi in beautiful surroundings.
    I prebooked 6 dry days with occasional sunshine and 1 of rain just for variety through www.greatlittlecountryandnoneedforaroof.ie and was very pleased with the results.

Advertisement