Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish Courses

Options
  • 15-05-2011 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi..!

My 16 year old daughter is thinking of going to Nerja this summer, with stein study abroad, to do a spanish course for the Leaving next year.
    Does anyone have any experiance there?

It will be her first time travelling alone. Are collections etc. well organised? What about the host families?

Was it good for their Spanish? She would love to improve for her oral, maybe even have a native accent...

Would 2 or 3 weeks be an okay length for staying there?

id love any info, or if you have an alternative location etc...!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 oMega_2093

There are a lot of diferent accents in Spain, not just a "native accent". You should consider what accent do you want to get. In Andalucía you will get kind of "special" accent. Something neutral can be achieved in center/northern Spain. Galicia (north-west) has a diferent accent too, and Barcelona also slightly diferent.

Anyway, a lot of people choose Málaga for languaje courses. It must be a good option I guess, but I don't know since I'm a Spanish guy from the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Hi..!

My 16 year old daughter is thinking of going to Nerja this summer, with stein study abroad, to do a spanish course for the Leaving next year.

It will be her first time travelling alone. Are collections etc. well organised? What about the host families?

Was it good for their Spanish? She would love to improve for her oral, maybe even have a native accent...

Thanks

My advice, send her to Salamanca is probably the best place to go. Great fun for students and their accent is the closest to the "original" castillian!

It is in the middle of nowhere though but the city is perfect in sice, not too big neither too small. Nightlife is great too (not sure if it is good or bad from your point of view).

Not sure about sending her to the south, their accent is pretty strong and they are hard to understand. Maybe try a more neutral accent, Castilla Leon - Castilla La Mancha, Extremadura, Levante, Aragón are better candidates.

The north is great too, but againt their accent is pretty different, but then again it is beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 carboo

Hi..!

Thanks

Morning!

In relation to Spanish accents, the previous comments were right. Spanish is similar to English: Britain, North Ireland, Ireland, Scotland...all these places has their own accent, no better or worse than others :).

I am Spanish, living in Dublin for the last 4 years and my Irish friends love my Spanish accent (no strong one, but showing where I am coming from)

South Spain (Andalucía) It’s a beautiful place to live (history, places to visit, food). People is really close to the Irish ones. They are really open, friendly and like party a lot :).

About Malaga, I am sorry but at this point I would never recommend it. Too tourist. There are places like Granada (1st city in Spain receiving Erasmus student) or Seville :)

Don’t be scared about the accent. Granada or Seville town has a clearer accent than people from Granada or Seville countryside (same as people from Dublin or Dublin countryside).

About prices, you can have a look in this website J

http://www.languagebookings.com/learn-spanish/

Kind Regards,

Carlos.

Advertisement