Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frustration

Options
  • 15-05-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Woman to man
    glass of whiskey please
    whiskey served
    ice please
    ice served
    water please
    water served
    The man went home and kicked the dog
    Do they not know what they do to us?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭cobsie

jesus christ, what is with this misogynist **** on the forum lately? this is totally retrograde. And, what's as bad, makes little sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

cobsie wrote: »
    jesus christ, what is with this misogynist **** on the forum lately? this is totally retrograde. And, what's as bad, makes little sense.

Frustrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

cobsie wrote: »

I am getting a little annoyed with the way people are critiquing other people's work on this forum. Don't you agree that people take pride in their work and put some time and effort into it? There are ways to going about things. Fair enough, your interpetation of misogyny is valid but I think you are out of order to in your delivery.

It can be difficult enough for some people to share their work with others without it being decimated on a public forum.

A little tact wouldn't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

smcgiff wrote: »
    Frustrated?

Possibly, but he's also right.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It depends if you assume the piece is written by the man, the woman or the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Coffeeapple

It depends if you assume the piece is written by the man, the woman or the dog.

Assuming it was written by a man could be considered misogynistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Assuming it was written by a man could be considered misogynistic

This is a creative writing forum. As the OP did not write anything illegal it should be ignored or criticised from a literary point of view

I wouldn't mind, but the frustrated person is cast in the subservient role here, I would have thought it more misogynistic if it were the woman that was running around after the man.

How is this misogynistic? What is the word for someone that hates dogs?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

misocynist?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭H. Flashman

misogynistic? give me a break this is a creative writing forum ... and a small piece of advice if you think this is misogynistic .... don't read flashman!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Coffeeapple

smcgiff wrote: »
    This is a creative writing forum. As the OP did not write anything illegal it should be ignored or criticised from a literary point of view

I wouldn't mind, but the frustrated person is cast in the subservient role here, I would have thought it more misogynistic if it were the woman that was running around after the man.

How is this misogynistic? What is the word for someone that hates dogs?

My comment was light hearted, I probably should have added a smiley on the end. I was inferring that it would be misogynistic to discount the idea that a woman could write the poem.

Would a dog hater be a madranist?

Anyway I liked the poem busbrokers, although you could probably build on it as the minimalism creates the wrong kind of confusion. Was the water order significant or did the woman just want to water down her whiskey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 busbrokers

In reply to the above perhaps a little explaining would help.
    The gender of the participents is not important. It could be any combination, male to male, female to female etc. The female in this case had
    the barman going back and forth when all she had to do was order
    her drinks all at the one time. I could have added that after a
    night of this "stuff " the man went home and had a row with his wife,
    gave out to his children and after tripping over the dog, gave him
    a good kick up the transom and finally in despair cries out "do they
    not know what they do to us". Thank you all for your imput.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

Easy to get PC about these things. Best viewed in context.

Advertisement