Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Help

Options
  • 14-05-2011 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

im hoping to get 500< points next year and i just want to know how much study i should do , including over the summer?

also any tips in the following i would appreciate very much
    biology
    chemistry
    french
    business
    english
    irish
    maths

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 slipperypete

I got 5 Es in my summer exams of fifth year and got 470 in the leaving. I didn't do any study over the summer. I wouldn't if I were you either you'll only burn out early. Make the most of your summer and start strong in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Exam papers.

Are you doing Higher or Ordinary in maths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mufccfc

honours everything

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

I got 520 back in my hayday of 2007.

I urge you, DO NOT DO A TAP over this summer. Like really. You'll only burn out, you need to take the time and enjoy it, as 6th year is hell.

For during actual 6th year, I wouldn't be worrying about studying until after Oct midterm, ignore all the fools that come in on the second day of term going 'I did 6 hours study last night', it's stupid, they'll burn out. Go to class, keep on top of things, do your homework, but wait that bit longer to start the study.

One of the big things that I can't emphasise enough is free time. You can't study 24/7, it's just impossible. You need to allocate yourself study time, and make it productive. Give yourself time to relax, play sport, see friends. Use it as a reward and a motivator. Time manage well, it's quality not quantity of study that matters really. Lots of to-do lists with what you need done broken down into small tasks, that you can cross off - again to motivate yourself.

These are all things that I started LC year, and they've served me well and gotten me through college fine. I can't really think of much else, but ask if you think of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

mufccfc wrote: »
    im hoping to get 500< points next year and i just want to know how much study i should do , including over the summer?

also any tips in the following i would appreciate very much
    biology
    chemistry
    french
    business
    english
    irish
    maths

cheers
    Well i'm in 5th year and looking for 500+ points also. However, i'm doing HL Economics outside of school myself and plan on studying that for about 4 hours a week during the summer.. I need to get a B1 and I need all the help I can get!.. My French teacher advised us to study a good bit of Vocab and Oral work over the Summer though as it's essential to keep renewing your memory.. Other than that i'll doubt i'll do much, maybe a bit of Maths that'll be it though!..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Well i'm in 5th year and looking for 500+ points also. However, i'm doing HL Economics outside of school myself and plan on studying that for about 4 hours a week during the summer.. I need to get a B1 and I need all the help I can get!.. My French teacher advised us to study a good bit of Vocab and Oral work over the Summer though as it's essential to keep renewing your memory.. Other than that i'll doubt i'll do much, maybe a bit of Maths that'll be it though!..

Come back here this time next year and let us know if you're burnt out or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

well i'm not planning any study this summer, i might do it when the mood takes me...if it ever does :D or if my parents make me lol
    but yeah... atleast take the first two months off if you're that into doing study beforehand... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

mufccfc wrote: »
    honours everything
    Just going to let you know in advance that you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself. You may not feel it now, but post mocks it will hit you hard. Doing both Irish and Maths at Higher Level is tough. Really consider dropping one down if either is suffering or you need to put too much time into one. Remember, you can only get 600 points, from 6 higher level subjects. Don't do unnecessary amounts of work unless they are subject requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭feels2gd2btrue

have you thought about doing a language course over the summer? plenty of my friends went away to do irish or french and found they really helped! if you are serious about studying over the summer, maybe leave it until august? i did this before 6th year focusing on maths and chemistry! i did all the questions we had covered from the exam papers so when we started back i felt much better as i hadn't done as well as i'd liked in the summer exams and settled into study a lot quicker than most of my friends. i did two hours every morning for the month!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

have you thought about doing a language course over the summer? plenty of my friends went away to do irish or french and found they really helped! if you are serious about studying over the summer, maybe leave it until august? i did this before 6th year focusing on maths and chemistry! i did all the questions we had covered from the exam papers so when we started back i felt much better as i hadn't done as well as i'd liked in the summer exams and settled into study a lot quicker than most of my friends. i did two hours every morning for the month!

I'd say use June to revise the 5th year stuff.. Leave July and August for relaxing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

NotExactly wrote: »
    Come back here this time next year and let us know if you're burnt out or not.
    I can't really understand this term "burnt out", a lot of people seem to "burn out" quite easily lately. I've been doing 3 hours solid study a night all this year, plus preparations for my Piano and Violin exams, as well as partaking in the Debating Team in school and have not experienced this "burning out" loads of people constantly talk about..

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭feels2gd2btrue

I can't really understand this term "burnt out", a lot of people seem to "burn out" quite easily lately. I've been doing 3 hours solid study a night all this year, plus preparations for my Piano and Violin exams, as well as partaking in the Debating Team in school and have not experienced this "burning out" loads of people constantly talk about..

Hitting a brick wall at Christmas is another term that constantly goes around too! There's no need to get burned out, everyone knows their limits:) nobody in my year had problems being burnt out, I was really calm walking into the leaving cert even though I've been known to freak out about class tests:( 6th year is a tough year, people just need to make sure they look after themselves by eating right, exercising and taking breaks to hang out with your friends:) 6th year was my favourite year in school, everyone seems more relaxed, even the teachers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

do the exam papers and ya can pretty much wing the exam... there the exact same every year basically sur

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

have not experienced this "burning out" loads of people constantly talk about..

..maybe because you're still in Fifth Year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 paperplane93

Random Question: Do we need to know the drawing of a chloroplast or is it just the structure ?

Advertisement