Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyne River

Options
  • 14-05-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hoping to fish Boyne around Navan for trout tomorow. will get permit in angling shop. any advice tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

Hoping to fish Boyne around Navan for trout tomorow. will get permit in angling shop. any advice tips?

Haven't seen the Boyne, but I was fishing upstream on the blackwater and the water levels are low, so the fishing is hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

THANKS FOR REPLY , backed out of it smokie, wind was crazy. is blackwater usually better for trout? same permit, NAVAN ANGLERS?

Yeah the wind was mad yesterday but still managed a few hours and a couple of fish! The Blackwater from Kells up to the lake in Virgina is controlled by Kells Anglers, you can get a permit from the flying sportsman on Carrick Street. I've been fishing it for a few years now and in general its been productive, but it has been hard lately with the water being quite low

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Yeah the wind was mad yesterday but still managed a few hours and a couple of fish! The Blackwater from Kells up to the lake in Virgina is controlled by Kells Anglers, you can get a permit from the flying sportsman on Carrick Street. I've been fishing it for a few years now and in general its been productive, but it has been hard lately with the water being quite low

Or you can join the kells ac
    For 300e joining fee :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

fisherking wrote: »
    Or you can join the kells ac
    For 300e joining fee :eek:

Navan is similar. Outrageous price, I live 5 mins walk from the Boyne but the joining price makes it a no go for me. I only catch and realease anyway.

• Advertisement

Navan is similar. Outrageous price, I live 5 mins walk from the Boyne but the joining price makes it a no go for me. I only catch and realease anyway.

I know nothing about the Boyne clubs, but in fairness to Kells Anglers they put a lot of rehabilitation work in and it all costs money. The annual fee is only €50 / year once you get joined up, so if you're in for the long haul it works out fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Desailly

If interested in fishing the Blackwater around Navan you could also consider the Kilbride Angling Club who have a stretch of water from Bloomsbury bridge down towards Navan

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Yeah navan 120 a year
    Give it time;)

Fished river today, water low, fantastic river imho. caught 7 or 8 small trout , lost a good fish bout 1.5 lb. will be back soon.....:rolleyes:

Fished river today, water low, fantastic river imho. caught 7 or 8 small trout , lost a good fish bout 1.5 lb. will be back soon.....:rolleyes:

What stretch did you fish?
    Were you On the fly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

i fish the Blackwater too and its been very low lately, hopefully some REAL rain soon :rolleyes:

Going to head out tonight for a few hours, should be a good rise on with the bit of heat and that bit of cloud cover should make conditions perfect even if water is low.

blackcastle stretch, yeah wet flies, fished 2 bibios with white nymph in middle. great fun

Got out last night from 8 till 11pm.
    Fishing dry flies only and did well.
    Caught a few tiddlers before the main rise on an Iron Blue Dun
    Then swiched to an olive CDC emerger and had a few really nice trout. I then went on to a dark olive Klinkhammer and 4 trout around a pound which I was delighted with, one was definitely over the pound mark.
    All trout caught and returned safely:D

can you recommend a few dry flies bitey, hoping to fish it on dry fly for first time next wed or thurs, do you wade upstream???

can you recommend a few dry flies bitey, hoping to fish it on dry fly for first time next wed or thurs, do you wade upstream???

Yes I wade, no other choice really. Very small olives are working well at the moment size 22, 20 or 18.
    The Iron Blue Dun would be worth a go and olive CDC emergers and Klinkhammers with a White parachute also productive.
    You have to keep your eyes peeled as the takes are barley noticeable especially as it gets dark.

,Thanks, for that bitey.. Looking for ward to next time out

Caught a good few nice ones today, had one bout 4lb mark, think this guy might be a sea trout.

283916_1675443904835_1799585862_1088133_1101527_n.jpg:):):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

i think its a brownie. not a great pic though, would be better if it was laid out straight

Wow, brownie of a lifetime for a river. Not putting any money on it but might well be a sea trout(looking at the wrist of the tail) Well done
    What did he take?

• Advertisement

silver butcher at base of a waterfall, fought like crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

silver butcher at base of a waterfall, fought like crazy

nice brown trout what river were you on?

Boyne River iron.

any salmon running yet lads?????????????????:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Few fish moving alright!

Advertisement