Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest PSNI Strength statistics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

even when the ftr and part time officers are removed it still over the 7500 which Patten recommended, so maybe we will be waiting untill the new college opens.

I think they should publish how many of these officers are actually available for response I have a feeling we could get a shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

The overall figure given for numbers is 7765 ( we'll leave out the half ! ) yet the link to the religious composition page gives a total strenght of 7205 - a pretty substantial difference of 560 :confused:

To my knowledge the FTR have finished up but I suspect the reason for giving an FTR figure is that they are now being re-trained for ' civvy street ' and are still on the payroll - just my guess.

Which is the correct number of officers - 7205 or 7765 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Delancey wrote: »
    The overall figure given for numbers is 7765 ( we'll leave out the half ! ) yet the link to the religious composition page gives a total strenght of 7205 - a pretty substantial difference of 560 :confused:

To my knowledge the FTR have finished up but I suspect the reason for giving an FTR figure is that they are now being re-trained for ' civvy street ' and are still on the payroll - just my guess.

Which is the correct number of officers - 7205 or 7765 ?

Strength statistics is from April, the composition figures is from May. I know the religious make up only concerns Constables, so unless the figures only refer to students, Constables and Sergeants, minus any leavers between April and May.

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Strength statistics is from April, the composition figures is from May. I know the religious make up only concerns Constables, so unless the figures only refer to students, Constables and Sergeants, minus any leavers between April and May.

You may be right Gonerdee though I would have thought composition figures should cover all ranks :confused:
    Removing all ranks above Sergeant would explain it though.

Statistics , don't ya love them !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics :p

• Advertisement

You may be right Gonerdee though I would have thought composition figures should cover all ranks :confused:
    Removing all ranks above Sergeant would explain it though.

Statistics , don't ya love them !

Don't quote me on this but ranks of Inspector and above are advertised UK wide when needing filled. So many might be from outside NI.

Checked the numbers, 7115 Regular cops, 595 POPT and 2 student cops (2 poor buggers requiring further training most likely). It has dropped quite a bit for regular and part time.

I asked once how many officers were on the ground at any one time covering a district of approx 40,000-50,000 people, as in routine patrol, I was thinking 100 officers, I was shocked to be told it was 10!

I was interested to learn the other day that Ulster Bank have around twice as many branches in Norn Iron as the PSNI have stations.

I was interested to learn the other day that Ulster Bank have around twice as many branches in Norn Iron as the PSNI have stations.

And they want to shut more!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Yeah I read that tonight.

With the current out cry of rehiring ex officers, 4 bomb attacks in about a week etc - do you think there will be pressure to recruit earlier than they had planned?

• Advertisement

Well I suppose there is always pressure from certain quarters like the Police Federation which I'm not sure is all that surprising really.
    There probably will be calls for more recruitment , the question is will anyone listen or perhaps another question is can the PSNI afford more recruitment ?
    In the Republic AGS have had a hiring freeze for 2 years now and despite lots of protest from all quarters there is no sign that they will recruit anytime soon - quite possible Northern Ireland will be the same.

But we can always hope........;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

In the Republic AGS have had a hiring freeze for 2 years now and despite lots of protest from all quarters there is no sign that they will recruit anytime soon - quite possible Northern Ireland will be the same.

But we can always hope........;)

The AGS do not face the same threats and challanges though.

Anyway, there is no need for a new recruitment process here... when some of us are all vetted and medicals passed. A phone call costs very little :D

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Anyway, there is no need for a new recruitment process here... when some of us are all vetted and medicals passed. A phone call costs very little :D

How eloquently you put it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wannabecop

Gee-22 wrote: »
    The AGS do not face the same threats and challanges though.

my vetting will have expired by now passed it october 2010 lol

Advertisement