Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moyglare Road maynooth

Options
  • 14-05-2011 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hey :)

I was thinking about renting in maynooth and a friend told me NOT to rent anywhere along the Moyglare road. They claimed it's "known" to be dodgey.

Can anyone vouch for the area?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

What?

Dodgy in what sense?

Lived in Moyglare Village and Moyglare Abbey at different times and they're quiet enough estates. Some houses are good value and some are not. Just like everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

Jayd0g wrote: »
    What?

Dodgy in what sense?

Lived in Moyglare Village and Moyglare Abbey at different times and they're quiet enough estates. Some houses are good value and some are not. Just like everywhere else.

According to a friend just several dodgey things like people following her (on two occassions) etc.

I've nothing really against the place considering I was in the college/kairos for 3 years but I wanted to see did anyone hear of this kinda racket?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Ah, I think you need a female opinion on it, never had those problems myself...

Jayd0g wrote: »
    Ah, I think you need a female opinion on it, never had those problems myself...

Yeah same here. A girl's opinion would be great yeah, I'm only really thinking of my partner tbh - that's why I thought i'd ask you chaps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Yeah, it's a really rough part of town, you'd want to watch yourself around there.
    Better off renting up around Old Greenfield, much safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,071 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah, it's a really rough part of town, you'd want to watch yourself around there.
    Better off renting up around Old Greenfield, much safer.

Not the most suitable topic to be joking on.

Never heard of any problems; the biggest issue is that its quite far out of the town. There is a small newsagents in Moyglare Village estate but thats it as goes services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

It's about a 20 minute walk to the centre of the village from the entrance to Moyglare Abbey-it's around 1 mile. You can add another 10-20 minutes for Moyglare Hall I'd say.

In 5 years here, I've never heard of any incidents on Moyglare Road itself-I've walked home alone myself in a state of bad repair on a few nights and never met anybody. Not to say that nothing has ever happened, but I really don't think that it's 'dodgy'.

If you need to get the train every morning, or if you want to be able to walk to the pub in 10 minutes, look at somewhere closer to the centre of the village. Otherwise, Moyglare Road is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Moyglare road and moyglare are generally fine, the only 'problem' with it is that if you are a female and are being followed by someone then it's so quiet that it could get quite unnerving and it's a long dark road to Moyglare 'village'. That said, the road over to Beaufield and Meadowbrook etc is just the same so unless you're living in the town or out Kingsbury way then you can have a lonely, dark road home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

MYOB wrote: »
    Not the most suitable topic to be joking on.

Never heard of any problems; the biggest issue is that its quite far out of the town. There is a small newsagents in Moyglare Village estate but thats it as goes services.

How is he joking ? what is wrong with old-greenfeild, I lived there for sevaral years with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Used to live there... No issues with the place at all.

My GF also never had any issues walking around the place

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's always good to hear the opinions of others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

I've been living in Moyglare Abbey for around 13 years now, it's a really safe place. The Moyglare road is quite dimly lit, as are most places. I never really walk it alone in the dark, late evening. There has been a few breakins into houses, but once an alarm is on and doors are locked, chances are less.
    The only problems most people living in this estate have are loud students, as there are a lot of young children living here. Saying that, this hasn't happened in over 2 years, it's so much better now!

Anyway, hope this gives you some input! I love this estate and area, one of the nicest in Maynooth.

airmax87 wrote: »
    How is he joking ? what is wrong with old-greenfeild, I lived there for sevaral years with no problems.

It'd be the worst estate in the town, despite your lack of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Relax OP this is one of the best addresses in Maynooth .(I have a fairly well to do mate lives there cant wait to show him this thread!)Not so sure about Old Greenfield though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Moyglare Road area has some nice estates. The problem is it's right beside the College where there has been trouble this year afaik and it can be a long walk along a relatively dark road from the town. I haven't heard of any trouble on the Moyglare Road but it's not inconceivable.

Old Greenfield is widely regarded as the estate to avoid. Royal Seahawk was right though - 'around Old Greenfield' is fine - just not in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Penguin xd

ive been living in old greenfield the last 6 months and i dont have a problem with it. i dont see how people think its rough, im 19 and i didnt have a problem! i made friends with everyone ive met from the estate and feel 100% safe. people going aroung saying ppl from the estate is rough or a scumbag just dont know the people in it. ppl have no problem degrading the estate on this so why not come up and say it to our face??

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Penguin xd wrote: »
    ive been living in old greenfield the last 6 months and i dont have a problem with it. i dont see how people think its rough, im 19 and i didnt have a problem! i made friends with everyone ive met from the estate and feel 100% safe. people going aroung saying ppl from the estate is rough or a scumbag just dont know the people in it. ppl have no problem degrading the estate on this so why not come up and say it to our face??
    Old Greenfield is a grand area, prob people think it's 'rough' because its not full of 11 reg 4x4s!

rp wrote: »
    Old Greenfield is a grand area, prob people think it's 'rough' because its not full of 11 reg 4x4s!

people are so judging... its actually sick if u think about it... people thinking they know what ur like just because of your address? its kinda like discrimination in a way... ive never been happier since i moved into old greenfield.

I've lived here for over 20 years, and Old Greenfield is far and away the roughest part of the town. Come back to us in a year and see if its still going well for you...

MYOB wrote: »
    I've lived here for over 20 years, and Old Greenfield is far and away the roughest part of the town. Come back to us in a year and see if its still going well for you...

every town has a "rough" part, mainly because of the younger crowd ... everyone in the estate is easy going and straight out with what they think instead of bitching. just because most of us dont have a childish innocence when we're still 18/19 doesnt mean we're rough... have you ever even got to know anyone out of the estate??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

every town has a "rough" part, mainly because of the younger crowd ... everyone in the estate is easy going and straight out with what they think instead of bitching. just because most of us dont have a childish innocence when we're still 18/19 doesnt mean we're rough... have you ever even got to know anyone out of the estate??

i know a girl who lived there for one year had had 3 bins stolen and melted out on her. they were refused any more.

ive known people mugged and beaten there.

its one thing to have a childish innocence. its entirely another to not feel safe walking home at night.

im happy you have had a good experience there, but not everyone has. and more people i and many others know have had bad experiences.

folan wrote: »
    i know a girl who lived there for one year had had 3 bins stolen and melted out on her. they were refused any more.

ive known people mugged and beaten there.

its one thing to have a childish innocence. its entirely another to not feel safe walking home at night.

im happy you have had a good experience there, but not everyone has. and more people i and many others know have had bad experiences.

fair enough. im not saying its like most estates where its quiet people keep to themselves. everyone knows everyone in old greenfield, its like one big group of friends and family. i personally think thats the way it should be. its a pity her bins were taken but in all fairness that could happen in any estate.

Being beaten and maced could happen anywhere also even down the town in broad daylight!! i dont feel safe walking home at night (2/3 in the morning) until im in the estate. i feel safer there at night than i would walking home, even if the just from the newtown or somewhere.

its not right to tar everyone with the one brush. il admit there is a few that would seem "rough" to you, mostly young teenagers im presuming, but the majority of people (old and young) are grand

Yeah same here. A girl's opinion would be great yeah, I'm only really thinking of my partner tbh - that's why I thought i'd ask you chaps

i do know ive been defending old greenfield and that area but if your fairly new to maynooth and were moving with your girlfriend id say your best bet is carton court, maynooth park, rockfield, that general area. its a lot quieter, especially if your thinking of staying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AndreaBie

its not that bad - Watch out for Greenfields est - try to avoid !! other than that everywhere is alright .. few break in's in the estates around so just look for house alarm !!

As I said, I've lived here 20 years. I know plenty of people from the estate.

Doesn't change that its far and away the roughest part of the town. Only part of the town you'll ever seen burnt out cars on the greens of, boarded up houses for reasons other than fires, waste building up in gardens unremoved, etc.

Advertisement