Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar 'Trial' Dublin City Centre

Options
  • 14-05-2011 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and not too sure where to post this - any help would be really appreciated!

My Fiance is currently looking for work, mostly in the Pub Industry as a Barman! Well he got a 'Trial' the other night in a pub in Temple Bar. He was in for 3 hours, there was guys in before him, after him, the next day, the next day today and tomorrow! All on a trial! We know this because he's rang a few times now to see how he got on and everyone time he rings he's told he will be called back the next day as there a couple of others on 'Trial'

I really think this pub is just looking to fill some shifts without having to pay staff!! I'm fuming!

I hope to hear from some of the others who did a trial here too find out if they got the job! If not I am going to raise HELL on this pub!! If it is a scam it's disgusting and I will name and shame them from a height!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've never heard anything of the sort tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

How come all the new people always find AH.

If she does not get the job because someone else is better will you still name them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Usually a trial is a full shift, 8 or more hours
    And you get paid of course

For a manager to keep bringing in people constantly for three hours is a lot of hassle for them to organize. Bring in the staff, check the uniform, send them home, deal with the followup calls. No manager wants that.

Is it possible your fiance got sent home early?
    Does he have experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Yeah, usually a trial is paid. Unless it's an internship but that's usually a long term position anywya, not a few hours.

Oh, and obligatory: Dublin Forum is thataway -->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

hondasam wrote: »

If she does not get the job because someone else is better will you still name them ?

"He" as I read it. I think michael21 and the other half are... you know... "modern".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

Sounds like a good old scam to me. Whats the name of the pub???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

hondasam wrote: »

He registered in 2008 so I don't think it was hard for him to find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

He registered in 2008 so I don't think it was hard for him to find it.

In that case he should be able to find the Dublin forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Its an understood part of the bar industry to do a trial, and of course you should be paid for it,
    Theres loads of publicans out there that screw people around and get a week or two free staff for the sake of it, I know a guy who went for a trial in a prominent city centre pub a couple of months ago, he was just looking for part time work, at the end of his 8 hr shift (or whatever it was) he was told theyd let him know when his secound interview and secound trial shift was, FOR CASUAL PART TIME WORK!!! F*** OFF!!!
    They gave him his dinner and a pint or two after but no money.

Sounds like michael21's barman was sent home early, and excuses wer made to spare feelings

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JohnathanM wrote: »
    "He" as I read it. I think michael21 and the other half are... you know... "modern".

Well I never. I'm off to tell Mable and the other parishioners

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Sure there was a shop in Ballina recently advertising for a 9 month unpaid internship.

Some people are just chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Sounds like the scam. Happened to my girlfriend. They simply get people to come for a "trial", get them to work for a few days. No real job, she did not get paid. I won't name the pub but it's quite well known, near Merchant's Quay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

'Trials' require payment as the person did work so are legally entitled to get paid for it. Surprised that it was only a 3 hour trial.

Advertisement