Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Screensize with UPC

• 14-05-2011 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I've just got UPC Digital and the display seems to be truncated widthwise meaning you miss some of the screen - especially annoying with channels like Sky News where there's a text display on the screen. My TV is a Philips CRT with all the format options -nothing helps. Anybody any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

caoimhin39 wrote: »
    I've just got UPC Digital and the display seems to be truncated widthwise meaning you miss some of the screen - especially annoying with channels like Sky News where there's a text display on the screen. My TV is a Philips CRT with all the format options -nothing helps. Anybody any suggestions?

Go into settings on your UPC box and turn on 16:9 widescreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Tell us what UPC box you got and I well tell you the steps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 caoimhin39

Just got it thanks Ranicand!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭smurf22

I had a basic sky box and noticed the same thing before plus a friend of mine has the standard def upc box and it is the same story for him.

I now have a upc hd box with a hdmi cable and the screen is perfect, all the channel is displayed on my tv.

Is this a hd switchover issue? meaning are broadcasters displaying their channels in a hd format for people with hd now and people without it are having to watch channels that dont actually fit in their tv screen?

smurf22 wrote: »
    I had a basic sky box and noticed the same thing before plus a friend of mine has the standard def upc box and it is the same story for him.

I now have a upc hd box with a hdmi cable and the screen is perfect, all the channel is displayed on my tv.

Is this a hd switchover issue? meaning are broadcasters displaying their channels in a hd format for people with hd now and people without it are having to watch channels that dont actually fit in their tv screen?
    The problem is that most SD boxes default to 4:3 cropped mode, meaning that the extra information in a widescreen broadcast is simply cut off - this is very noticeable on channels such as RTÉ One and Two (where the DOG is truncated) and Sky Sports News (where the info panel on the right is truncated or missing). The best solution is to set the box to 16:9 if you have a widescreen TV (or autosensing 4:3 set), or letterbox mode for most other 4:3 sets.

HD boxes connected via HDMI always output in 16:9 unless the broadcast is flagged otherwise. So you won't notice this problem on HDMI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

My UPC SD box shows most channels correctly on my TV, I often have to manually set the TV to 'Widescreen' (i.e. using the TV remote) for some of the cable channels but most of the mainstream channels display correctly when the TV is set to 'Auto'.

The UPC box is set to 'Widescreen' all the time.

The odd time you'd be watching a movie on TCM or MGM Movies with the TV set to 'Auto' and the screen size would start to flip back and forth between 4:3 and 16:9 at which stage you'd have to grab the TV remote and manually set it to Widescreen.

Advertisement