Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducklings

Options
  • 14-05-2011 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Yesterday i found 7 mallard(i think) ducklings,they were only around a day old. half of them were stuck in a cattle grid beside a busy road.there was no sign of the mother,i waited a while before i went near them to make sure she wasnt around. I couldnt leave them there to die so i took them home.They are now under an infra red lamp & eating chick crumbs & drinking away.
    When they are full grown will i be able to release them or will they be able to fend for themselves after being raised by humans? Whats the chances that if i release them in a preserved area they will stay there & not fly away? i dont want them to end up getting shot!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Well done! Yes, you can release them and they will fend for themselves. They will of course fly away at some point. They would have as much chance of being shot had they stayed with their mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tipseymcT

Thanks for reply,I was thinking that they would not be as streetwise as parent raised ducks & might seek out people instead of flying away from them.

Advertisement