Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

research assistant vacancies?

Options
  • 14-05-2011 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am in my final year of college and am looking for any kind of research assistant position in psychology or any medical field. Does anyone have any advice as to how i can find such a position. I have looked through agencies and on the net but experience appears to be mandatory and or a masters. I don't have the experience other than college projects and am still undergrad until next year. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Velvety

Talk to people.

Call into psych departments or the office of anyone involved in research you'd be interested in. Offer to do donkey-work for them for free. Collecting/ inputting data or admin stuff. That's all it takes.

The length of time it'll take before you get some paid/ meaningful experience will all depend on how competent/ charming/ lucky you are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Phoenixx

anyone know how much a research assistant gets paid, with just a degree and admin exp , its just for the summer (Ireland):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Phoenixx wrote: »
    anyone know how much a research assistant gets paid, with just a degree and admin exp , its just for the summer (Ireland):)

I'm afraid the liklihood is that you'll find it an 'internship' position ie you won't get paid. Or that the pay is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

you'd probably be better off looking in the UK. jobs.ac.uk have a psychology section with research jobs. A lot of them would be aimed more at Masters graduates or Post Docs but keep an eye on it and you might find some interesting ones. Otherwise just try and get in there with the people in your department now and ask them for advice. If they are aware that you are looking for research experience, they can at least let you know if come across anyone looking for research assistants. I know it can feel awkward approaching people sometimes but trust me they will be well used to it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

There's a google group, AP_Ireland, which often has advertisements for assistant positions.

Also, there's no harm in speaking to your lecturers and asking them if they'd have anything on that you could help out with. Send your CV everywhere you can think of; charities, clinics etc. But as mentioned above, don't expect great money or even any money at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement