Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viviparous Lizard

Options
  • 13-05-2011 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Hi, anyone from here know where I can find these in Dublin? I read somewhere that there was a pop. on Bull Island but I've never seen any. Anybody know where they would be/what their numbers are like in Ireland? I'd love to see one.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm not sure they're the kind of thing you can go looking for and expect to see one with any degree of certainty. I see them now and then in the Wicklow Mountains, and I'm out there every weekend, but only see maybe 1 or 2 a year on average, and then usually only catch a fleeting glimpse. They're quite skittish creatures when you get near them. Last time I saw one it was basking on a large rock down at the bottom of the road that leads down from the Pier Gates down to the Luggala Estate. It disappeared before I could even switch my camera on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Yeah ive seen them on the walks high up around Glendalough.
    They seemed to be basking in the sun on the railway sleepers that were used as footpaths up there.
    I saw two in one day up there. But it was a warm sunny day, and insects were all over the place that day.
    I doubt you would see them on a wet or cold day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I doubt you would see them on a wet or cold day.
    You'd be surprised .. I've seen them a few times in quite wet and damp conditions, certainly not sunning themselves by any means.

Here are a couple of threads (one of them mine!) with a few pictures ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65532725

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055343290

Despite my sighting being in July, it wasn't that warm and the lizard in question was hiding away in some damp mossy undergrowth beside the "path" which was more like an impromptu stream at the time.

Advertisement