Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving straight after passing your test with a certificate??

Options
  • 13-05-2011 3:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4

I just passed my test today and want to drive to Dublin tomorrow.
    My licence will take about a week to come in the post.
    Do I have to wait for it in order to legally drive, or can I just carry around my certificate saying I passed, (which to me seems like the same thing as a licence.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You have to wait for the license.

The certificate is just proof that you have passed your test, it is not a replacement for a license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

You have to wait for the license.

The certificate is just proof that you have passed your test, it is not a replacement for a license.

Challengemaster is 100% right here. You're not licensed to drive unless you currently possess a license. C'mon, a week isn't a long time to wait!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 sarahxgx

See i have to go to mullingar to apply for a licence which is about an hour away from me, such an inconvenience. so i was going to do that next week, seeing as its the weekend and they wont be open.

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Even still, tis best practice to just sit it out and keep the L plates and accompanying driver for the week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I used to think it was the case that once you applied for your full licence, you could drive away!

The girl at the MTO gave me a receipt that said Full Licence Application (or something similar) and just said to keep it with you while you're driver, which I misinterpreted to mean that I could drive alone.

I used to think it was the case that once you applied for your full licence, you could drive away!

The girl at the MTO gave me a receipt that said Full Licence Application (or something similar) and just said to keep it with you while you're driver, which I misinterpreted to mean that I could drive alone.

Technically no, and even still driving with the receipt/cert wouldn't be legal... but you'd really have to catch a garda on a bad day for them to do you over it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yea I know now that it's illegal, it's just at the time I thought it wasn't. Or I possibly thought it might have been, but I had it in my head that they would ask you to produce the licence within 10 days to a garda station, and I assumed that I would have the licence within 10 days and thus would be ok, but of course the date of the 'incident' could be sooner than the date of issue!

Edit: It was over a year ago now so I can't really remember if I drove much - I don't think I drove on my own in the 2 'licenceless' days, but I did get my dad to bring me onto the motorway for the first time :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I was told that I should be fine with the letter the council gave me after I applied, and sure enough it was grand when I got pulled by the Gards. But then again, if you catch a Garda on a bad day, they can fling very book they can find at you and you could find yourself in a sticky spot. But it'd be so so unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

i asked the tester who passed me this question and he said it was OK to drive with the cert of completion. not that i expect him to be an authority on the law

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

fred252 wrote: »
    i asked the tester who passed me this question and he said it was OK to drive with the cert of completion. not that i expect him to be an authority on the law

This was the same when I passed my test a number of years ago, however it's technically not true.

As as been said though, you'd have to find a Gard in particularly bad form to actually enforce this rule. However there is always a risk involved.

Apply asap is the only solution imo!

Advertisement