Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting maintenance question

Options
  • 13-05-2011 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Should she get spousal maintenance???

Here are the facts:

I separated from my wife after 2 years (not legally) and I was awarded custody of our son (four years old) who now lives with me full time. She has acces for 2 days and nights per week. I am self employed working part time and fully support myself and my son but would qualify for single parent allowance if I applied (low income). Neither I nor my ex have any assets worth mentioning. I have never received nor applied for child maintenance from the mother. She is does not work and lives off welfare and is receiving rent allowance etc.

I represented myself in the custody hearing and subsequent appeals but I lack the experience that solicitors would have in dealing with maintenance orders, however, I find that my situation is less common and have difficulity finding a solicitor with this experience.

My basic understanding from the many legal books I purchased is that a spouse is legally obliged to support a spouse and a parent is legally obliged to support a child. In addition it is my understanding that it is up to the judges discretion on what amount of maintenance should be awarded.
    I intend to apply for an annullment of the marriage but it is possible that the court could award a divorce etc.

I feel that since I am the primary carer that she should be due no support from me. My concern is that she could sue me for spousal maintenance. Of course I can counter sue for child maintenance but my worry is that I may have to pay for the difference.

I am interested if anyone has had a similar experience and what the outcome was. All responses welcome.

Advertisement