Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving straight after passing your test with a certificate??

Options
  • 13-05-2011 12:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4

I just passed my test today and want to drive to Dublin tomorrow.
    My licence will take about a week to come in the post.
    Do I have to wait for it in order to legally drive, or can I just carry around my certificate saying I passed, (which to me seems like the same thing as a licence.)

Thanks!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

sarahxgx wrote: »
    Do I have to wait for it in order to legally drive, or can I just carry around my certificate saying I passed, (which to me seems like the same thing as a licence.)

Nope you're still on a learners permit.

You need to hand your permit and pass cert into a tax office along with a licence application form and 2 passport pics, the receipt you get is then a full licence.

You'd have been better off posting in the Learning to drive forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

sarahxgx wrote: »

No big deal, in the unlikely case that you are stopped and asked for it just say you don't have it on you. They will give you ten days to produce it. You will have it by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

No big deal, in the unlikely case that you are stopped and asked for it just say you don't have it on you. They will give you ten days to produce it. You will have it by then.

I have heard that they are not being as lenient about this anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Also they're saying "you have 10 days to prove to me that you're not driving illegally" rather than "you have 10 days to sort this out".

Big difference.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

and what happens when they find out the license wasn't valid on the date in question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

OP - to be on the safe side, I'd just wait til you got the actual licence, particularly with all the extra gardai checks this week with the royal visit (more likely to be stopped). Congrats on passing, btw.

on a side note, it must be awkward for learners to drive between the cities now that they are all motorway connected. All maps detailing city to city routes are biased towards the Mway routes so someone unfamiliar with the old routes has to put an effort into seeking out the alternative routes and trying to spot signs for the city that are not the M-way signs. (eg having to drive through the main streets of Nenagh and Portlaose if you are going to Dublin)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ongarboy wrote: »
    on a side note, it must be awkward for learners to drive between the cities now that they are all motorway connected. All maps detailing city to city routes are biased towards the Mway routes so someone unfamiliar with the old routes has to put an effort into seeking out the alternative routes and trying to spot signs for the city that are not the M-way signs. (eg having to drive through the main streets of Nenagh and Portlaose if you are going to Dublin)
    most sat nav's / online maps have an option to avoid motorways

and AFAIK there are alternatives to every motorway we have , so there isn't much excuse unless you follow the wrong sign / don't turn around when warned that there is a motorway ahead

also the signs are in Green for N roads and Blue for motorways , it's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

N roads replaced with motorways are redesignated R roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I thought you got penalty points for not having your licence on you but it doesn't seem to be on the list of 42 offences.

You used to be able to drive on the certificate of competency for a year. Plenty of people used to do this, forget about it and then find that they'd have to resit the test after a year.

Advertisement