Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots of LC help required please? Been out sick alot!

Options
  • 13-05-2011 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hey everyone!
    I've been out sick from school on and off for the last 2 years but have missed 3 quarters of each year!
    I've gone from an A average to not actually sitting many tests.
    Since I've been out so much, I'm trying to teach myself at home. And with the Leaving in just a few weeks, I'm really panicking now!
    So, what I need is someone to explain the following and possibly give me some tips on:

English (H)-How to answer Hamlet question properly. What is the difference between Cultural Context and V+V? (as regards to points to use etc. I know what the actual difference is! :P)

Irish (O)-What do I need to know about the poems and all that for paper 2?

Chemistry (H)-What big chapters should I know? Anything that could get me through the exam?

I also do accounting, maths, german and biology (All honors! I know, I'm crazy! :P) so any/all help and/or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Hey everyone!
    I've been out sick from school on and off for the last 2 years

:eek:!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

OK Two I can help with.

Irish (O) - All you need to do is exam questions. Nothing else has come up. Just know a general overview of other things. The exam shouldn't be too bad this year as the course is getting changed for next year. If you are asked what character do you like/dislike, and 2 reasons... it literally only has to be something like
    Ni maith liom Eoin,
    mar is duine leisciuil e
    agus ni raibh se aon cabhar sa teach

My teacher correct the exams every year. She said THAT is what gets you ten marks haha... I got a B1 in my mocks with no work and it's what I did... So don't worry :D

Biology (H)

The book you have, if you know units 1 and 2... You can answer at least 80% of the exam there is always 80% of it coming from U1&2

The topics that come up every year are - Photocynthesis, Respiration, Genetics, Ecology and Human Reproduction (female is tipped this year)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Seriously, take the pressure off yourself and sit the exam next year, or even the following year if you have missed that much. I'm astonished whatever school you attend even entered you for an exam having missed so much.

Why would you give everyone a two year head start on you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

spurious wrote: »
    Seriously, take the pressure off yourself and sit the exam next year, or even the following year if you have missed that much. I'm astonished whatever school you attend even entered you for an exam having missed so much.

Why would you give everyone a two year head start on you?

+1

I repeated my leaving when I missed a load of days ( not for medical reasons just lazy ^_^ ) and I just went back and tried for a good year. It pays off. Why get the results you don't deserve and maybe regretting it later on?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I'm actually in the same boat as you. I've been very ill and I've barely been to school for the last three years- I even repeated 5th year because I literally missed the whole year. This year I haven't been into school since February and wasn't in much before that. I'm trying to learn from home as well. So I know how difficult it is! I'm HOPING I won't have to repeat but hey we'll just have to see eh? Just try your best and see how it goes!

Ordinary level Irish isn't that difficult. You don't need to know extreme detail on everything. Just know what's going on in every poem and story and have a bit of vocab ready in order to answer it. For paper 1 you can basically learn off a story and adapt it on the day if needs be. They don't even have to be very long at least!

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Hey everyone!
    I've been out sick from school on and off for the last 2 years but have missed 3 quarters of each year!
    I've gone from an A average to not actually sitting many tests.
    Since I've been out so much, I'm trying to teach myself at home. And with the Leaving in just a few weeks, I'm really panicking now!
    So, what I need is someone to explain the following and possibly give me some tips on:
    At this stage, you could work all day and night and still not get the results you deserve. Don't try compressing it all in, give yourself the extra year, you won't regret it when next years results come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

What course are you going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

Chemistry (H)-What big chapters should I know? Anything that could get me through the exam?
    Know all the experiments. You should try to do all of section A.
    Most importantly, learn organic like your life depends on it. It is worth approx 50% of the paper.
    At this stage, learning atomic theory for Q5 wouldn't be your best bet. It would be better to focus on Thermochemistry and Rates of Reaction.

Download marking schemes and do exam papers (both higher and ordinary) like a maniac.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

mpdg wrote: »
    Know all the experiments. You should try to do all of section A.
    Most importantly, learn organic like your life depends on it. It is worth approx 50% of the paper.
    At this stage, learning atomic theory for Q5 wouldn't be your best bet. It would be better to focus on Thermochemistry and Rates of Reaction.

Download marking schemes and do exam papers (both higher and ordinary) like a maniac.

No it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 carlyle

No it's not.

Well it was (164/400)41% in 2009 and (192/400)48% in 2008.

So I believe you're wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Each Q in chemistry is worth 12.5% of the total marks. At most 2 1/2 questions of organic would come up. You must answer 8/11 questions so you could avoid organic completely.

That said one of the section A questions is usually an organic. But theyre much easier than the organic family questions in section B!

OP prep of ethanoic acid, bleach and a rates question are all tipped but, they are just tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 carlyle

Each Q in chemistry is worth 12.5% of the total marks. At most 2 1/2 questions of organic would come up. You must answer 8/11 questions so you could avoid organic completely.

That said one of the section A questions is usually an organic. But theyre much easier than the organic family questions in section B!

OP prep of ethanoic acid, bleach and a rates question are all tipped but, they are just tips.

That's saying its worth at most 31.25% when it's never been worth less that that.

Ethanoic acid has been up twice in 9 years. 02 and 08
    Bleach is always runoured to cone up and has never yet. Even on the old syllabus.
    Rates came up as Q3 last year so I doubt it will come up either.

I'd say it's going to be like this.

Q1 - waters of crystallisation . Not up since 2006.
    Q2- preparation of ethanal or ethanoic acid. Not up since 2007 and 2009 respectively.
    Q3 - could be any other one really. So I won't speciulate on it. Maybe chromatography or relative molcular mass
    Of a volatile liquid?? Never up and up in 2003 respectively . Rates has been up like 4 times including last year and never repeats itself so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

carlyle wrote: »
    That's saying its worth at most 31.25% when it's never been worth less that that.

Ethanoic acid has been up twice in 9 years. 02 and 08
    Bleach is always runoured to cone up and has never yet. Even on the old syllabus.
    Rates came up as Q3 last year so I doubt it will come up either.

I'd say it's going to be like this.

Q1 - waters of crystallisation . Not up since 2006.
    Q2- preparation of ethanal or ethanoic acid. Not up since 2007 and 2009 respectively.
    Q3 - could be any other one really. So I won't speciulate on it. Maybe chromatography or relative molcular mass
    Of a volatile liquid?? Never up and up in 2003 respectively . Rates has been up like 4 times including last year and never repeats itself so far.

By ethanoic acid i meant to say ethanal... Honest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Did your school not advise you to apply for the DARE scheme, seeing as you missed so much school ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Whatsername92

Yep! I've applied to DARE myself and have all that kind of things sorted!
    I was originally ready to do Psychology in Trinity, but thats pretty much impossible now, so I'm aiming for multimedia or something like that!

Half the people I've spoken to have told me to leave it till next year, and the other half have said to have a go and see what happens!

I'd only need 350 or thereabouts hopefully, and I'm pretty much 100% ready for German, 90% ready for english and about 80% ready for Irish. Its the Chemistry, Acc, Maths and Biology that I need to work on! I've got all the marking schemes downloaded and am working like a mad woman on em! Anything I do know is self-thought! I'm just hoping it'll be enough! :confused:

Thanks for all the responses so far! They'll be a HUGE help, you've no idea! So Thank you, really! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was originally ready to do Psychology in Trinity, but thats pretty much impossible now, so I'm aiming for multimedia or something like that!

It's not impossible.

I'm not exactly clear why, but it sounds like you are choosing to try and sit an exam you are not ready for. By your own admission, you will not do as well as you are capable of. There are probably many others in the same boat, but you have been ill, no-one expects you to do as well as expected, indeed sensible people would not expect you to sit the exam after so much illness.

The Leaving Cert. will be there next year.

Nobody has a gun to your head. Don't settle for another course, if you want Psychology in Trinity, take your time, give yourself a good chance in the exam another year and go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Whatsername92

spurious wrote: »
    It's not impossible.

I'm not exactly clear why, but it sounds like you are choosing to try and sit an exam you are not ready for. By your own admission, you will not do as well as you are capable of. There are probably many others in the same boat, but you have been ill, no-one expects you to do as well as expected, indeed sensible people would not expect you to sit the exam after so much illness.

The Leaving Cert. will be there next year.

Nobody has a gun to your head. Don't settle for another course, if you want Psychology in Trinity, take your time, give yourself a good chance in the exam another year and go for it.
    I totally understand what you're saying, its just, I've tried so hard right up to this and at this stage, just giving up would be something I couldn't do! :( I'm somewhat stubborn when it comes to this. I can still sit the exam, and then repeat it again next year if I really really have to, but right now, I'm just focusing on doing the Leaving this year and proving people wrong! :/

I'm working hard and I know I can do it, I'm just looking for a few gentle nudges in the right direction! :p

OK, but don't be disheartened if you do badly this year. If you were my student/child, I would be trying to dissuade you from putting yourself through the exam this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭feels2gd2btrue

totally agree! i avoided organic in the long questions, i only prepared organic for the experiment section and i still managed to get an A1 last year, so obviously not worth half the paper! for chemistry i would advise getting the exam edge revision book, it has all the exam questions done out, i would focus just on this for the last few weeks and it should help you get a good grade:) good luck in the lc!

Advertisement