Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'Unexpired roadworthiness certificate' before VRT?

Options
  • 12-05-2011 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hello. So I just bought a used car from Northern Ireland, and I've booked the VRT for next Tuesday. Whilst looking on their website, I noticed the following:

9) For vehicles over 4 years old, an unexpired roadworthiness certificate confirming that an equivalent to the NCT test has been passed. The vehicle will be called for a roadworthiness test (NCT) shortly after registration.

The car I have just purchased's MOT is expired (expired last month) and the car wasn't MOT'd again before I bought it as I had told the dealer I would be getting it NCT'd and importing it to the south. FYI, it is an 05 Astra Hatchback.

So does this mean that I am going to have to get the vehicle MOT'd before I can get it VRT'd and then NCT'd? Because if thats the cause its going to ruin everything. I thought the months grace also applied for the NCT?

Anyone have some experience or knowledge on this they can share with me? Sorta in a bit of a panic now! :o Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,671 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No you just need to get it NCT'd after you VRT it. The NCT will then be valid on it for the remainder of this year and then up to the date of registration next year. MOT has no bearing whatsoever to NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Don't worry about it, I just imported a car a few weeks back with no MOT. He asked for it, I said no, and he moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

No you just need to get it NCT'd after you VRT it. The NCT will then be valid on it for the remainder of this year and then up to the date of registration next year. MOT has no bearing whatsoever to NCT.

I think you are wrong.
    If he NCT is in May 2011, such NCT will be valid until May 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,671 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

CiniO wrote: »
    I think you are wrong.
    If he NCT is in May 2011, such NCT will be valid until May 2013.

Yes your right, forgot to add the year :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MatthewRud

So it'll be ok? Never had a car VRT'd before so I don't know how strict they are. I'm also worried about getting stopped by the guards and having to explain the situation especially since I'm still awaiting the invoice so I can prove I own the car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement