Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for Guinea Pig biting smaller one. Please help!

Options
  • 12-05-2011 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I really hope someone can help me with experience with guinea pigs. I adopted 2 female guinea pigs last Sunday. One is a twice the size of the other. On their second day I noticed a cut behind the smaller ones ear and thought it may be mites. I was going into town on the third day to get some spray for them and checked the smaller one again after hearing some high pitched squeeks and saw a bad cut on her head. I didn't know what to do as for almost all the time they get on great.

I went back to the pet shop (who have a rescue section) from where I adopted them and told them the situation. They said nothing like that happened before and perhaps I should bring the big one back for re-adoption. I booked them into a vet practice for that evening and he said that they were both healthy (no mites) and that it was up to me what to do but he'd persevere.

I decided to give them another go and for the last 2 days they have been great. The smaller one follows the larger one everywhere and snuggles into her. I really don't want to split them up as they can be quite sweet. They shared some apple today, stealing it from each others mouths while eating.

Tonight whilst playing I heard squeaks again and the large one looked like she was biting the smaller one. I checked the small one and there are no signs of anything on her. It's more like pulling her hair out than anything, thats what the other cuts look like. I may have stopped it before it got bad, I don't know. They are in the cage now and it sounds like the large one is growling.

What should I do. Should I bring the large one back tomorrow? Do you think perhaps I'm making too big a deal out of today as the small ones fine? Is it bad to wait until the small one may be hurt again until making a decision?

I really need help! Any advice gratefully taken!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Are they definetly both female?

Sometimes, not often but it can happen that guinea pigs can have personality clashes but there is always a pecking order but rare that they draw blood or fight but it can happen when two just don't get on or you can get the occasional really bossy guinea pig that prefers to be alone.

However try a few things first, what's the measurements of the cage?

How many little hide away houses have they got?
    You need to have an odd number so at least 3 hidey boxes if you have 2 guineas.

Have they unlimited access to hay?

If they are given plenty of space, have lots of hidey places so the little one can run out of the way, have unlimited food etc. then it may just be the big one just doesn't like the smaller one and is being a bit too rough when trying to make her point.

Another thing you could try is bathing them both then putting them back into a clean cage, they'll both smell the same and might accept each other better.
    It's important you use a guinea pig safe shampoo eg like gorgeous guinea products, most shop bought guinea pig products are very harsh on their skin it's best to use more natural products like the GG range.

If you want to keep them you could have them live side by side but all else fails take one back and see if they have another one you could pair the one you keep with. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding two that bond they have their own wee personalities and some are more timid or bossy than others.

Keep a close eye even guineas that get on well can have the odd spat but if you see one of them standing and moving their back legs like they are marching on the spot plus grumbling that's the first sign that the guinea may turn on the other one. If you catch them having a spat, cover one with a towel and pick her up that's the safest way to remove them from the situation.

You'll know yourself if you feel she's getting too aggressive I'd see if they can find her a home with another guinea that she might bond with or side by side or as a very last resort on her own but usually it's possible to find one that will get on or one equally as pushy.

Advertisement