Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

colour profile

Options
  • 12-05-2011 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hey there. i'm new to boards and fairy new to my mac laptop and digital photography(when i studied it was all analogue).

i've heard i need to get my screen calibrated as i process alot of photography work using lightroom. i'm trying to source a cheap way of doing this. in the meantime can anyone tell me what colour profile i should have set from my settings menu??

cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

There is a lot to color profiling, and if you don't understand it.. you could make a big mess when you go to print things.

if you leave programs like Photoshop at the default settings, (I believe it defaults to using an sRGB color profile) and save the color profile into the images, you shouldn't have too much trouble printing. If you use an Adobe 1998 or Kodak Pro Photo color profile as your working space.. you'll end up with printing problems if you don't convert them to something else before they hit the printer.

There may be a "default" color profile available somewhere for your computer.. but there isn't for most... and displays actually vary quite a bit. I would recommend that you do get your screen calibrated. (Doing this actually just creates a color profile that gets associated with your monitor... and is invisible as far as using it... as long as it's set right.)

Most of the time, the color calibration hardware will set the color profile once you've finished running the calibration software. This should be re-done regularly, and anytime the lighting changes around where you use your computer.. so it's a good idea to have color calibration hardware.

There are lots of them out there. I use a ColorMunki, but there are also things like the Spyder and the i1 out there. Some of them can also be used to create custom printer profiles as well. If you're not familiar with color control, then it's probably a good idea to fiddle with as little as possible for now, until you're more familiar with what constitutes a color-matched workflow.

Advertisement