Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finance Question

Options
  • 12-05-2011 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

We were asked the following question perpetuities in finance.

A wealthy entrepreneur decides to award an annual scholarship of €5000, Assume the discount rate is 7% per year. How much money should the wealthy entrepreneur set aside today to be able to provide the such a scholarship?

I think the answer is 71429 but my friend's opinions differ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

heffo500 wrote: »

A wealthy entrepreneur decides to award an annual scholarship of €5000, Assume the discount rate is 7% per year. How much money should the wealthy entrepreneur set aside today to be able to provide the such a scholarship?

You are correct - the value of a perpetuity is the amount divided by the discount rate. In this case 5000/.07=71,429

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

heffo500 wrote: »

haha you go to NUIM as well.

BTW good luck.

it should be easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

haha you go to NUIM as well.

BTW good luck.

it should be easy enough.

Should be not looking forward to EC110 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

No I'm not looking forward to it.

Advertisement