Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical apprenticeship phase 2

Options
  • 12-05-2011 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this query; 3 years ago i did an elecrical apprenticeship with fas, i was unsuccesfull at my last theory exam, i did repeat the exam but failed it, does anyone know if i could go back and repeat the theory exam again or would i have to start all over again......

Any suggestions appreciated.... thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

from what i know you have three attempts to pass,

if you fail on these attempts you can make a request to fas for a final attempt at the exam in question.

its at their discretion to allow you to do it but iv never heard of anybody been refused a final attempt.

if however you fail on that attempt its a good night and god bless.

btw from reading back over your post you seem to have your third attempt still left to do.

can i ask what have you been doing in the three years since you failed the last test?

were ya left in limbo, let go or stay working???/

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iqon66

Hi evosteo

I repeated the exam twice.So if thats the case i have no way back.I am regretting it now i had being doing small jobs and due to recession had to turn to social welfare.If i just got the opportunity to go back and finish the apprenticeship i would be delighted.I wonder would there be any way of appealing the exam????

you need to get in touch with the apprentice liason officer in fas, think its in fas baldoyle.

explain to them the situation and say you want to appeal for a last attempt.

you will more than likely get it

some apprentises are having to serve 6 years apprentiships due to the recession where on the job work is tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

I know of lads that have failed twice and got back in again to repeat. I spent time in different phases with some of them. IMO your best bet would be to contact FAS directly tomorrow mowning and see what they have to say or what they can do for you at least. There's no harm in contacting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

evosteo wrote: »
    you need to get in touch with the apprentice liason officer in fas, think its in fas baldoyle.

explain to them the situation and say you want to appeal for a last attempt.

you will more than likely get it

some apprentises are having to serve 6 years apprentiships due to the recession where on the job work is tight.
    Some of us had to serve nearly that , cause of the backlog on the off the job phases when work wasnt tight. I was almost 2 years waiting on one block release:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iqon66

ok thanks for your info i will get in contact with fas, and see where i stand thanks again.

make sure its the apprentice liason office you get in touch with. id say it would be even better for you to go down in person and talk to them. always better than a phone call

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dufftronic

I hope i don't sound like the harbinger of doom, but failing exams from phase 2 does not bode well for passing them in 4 and 6. Maybe electrical just isn't for you.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Dufftronic wrote: »
    I hope i don't sound like the harbinger of doom, but failing exams from phase 2 does not bode well for passing them in 4 and 6. Maybe electrical just isn't for you.

I agree...walk away. If you struggle with phase 2 best bet is to forget about it coz it gets 10 times harder in phase 4 and 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Dufftronic wrote: »

Id say you could be right, my time was a bit before the phase systems, but you can pass exams by either studying but not really understanding, or by actually understanding what your doing. So a few fails could mean there is not much understanding of it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

As far as I know you can sit the exam four times, but you need a letter from an employer backing up a good reason why you can repeat the exam for the 4th time, they may also be a fee in the order of around 150 euro. This is the way it use to be anyway might be different now.

With respect to the other posts above, I've asked different reps in FAS on more than one occasion about the order of the phases. I carried some analysis on the amount of failures in phase 2 compared to 4 on some data that I kept some years ago. From what I could see at the time the phase 4 exams caused students far more problems.

I asked why not have phase 2 as the difficult exam set as it is very difficult for someone who has committed that much time in getting to phase 4 to deal with their apprenticeship effectively being over because they can't pass the exams, this realization is easier for an 18 year old than a 20 year old in my opinion anyway.

I also believe that if an apprenticeship is worth while and is indeed a Standards Based Apprenticeship that it should be possible to fail it. I personally think that 4 genuine attempts is too many and students should not have the option to continually "no show" for exams and return to work still in the scheme but with another exam date in the future and return to work along side the students who prepared for and studied for the exams.

However OP we all know that often there are very valid reasons why people need the 4 attempts. Maturer students also do better in FAS. I would advise that if you do indeed get the 4th chance to take it with both hands and give it your all, only you know if you could have done better in the past and if there were genuine reasons for failing the exams (immaturity/age is a valid reason in my book, but maybe not for FAS). I'm sure FAS will facilitate anyone with the right attitude, I have always found them fair in that way. I would agree that if the theory of phase 2 stretches you to the limit that you should take into account that phase 4 is more difficult.

Best of luck either way, I hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DaraTobin041

started electrical apprenticeship 2/10/17 any idea when i could be sent for phase 2, tks.

Advertisement