Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zombies Abroad

Options
  • 12-05-2011 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

OK, you know what you are going to do when the Z's come knocking on your hall door ... but what do you do if you are on a 2 week holiday abroad? Or work has sent you to distant climes? Or you just find yourself in a city far from home?

Are there any Rough Guides to safe places, tools, vehicles etc when you are not familiar with the layout / lyngo etc

My personal reccomendations for safe houses:

Old cinemas / theatres - secure & no windows, some food & drink & plenty of room for lots of folk
    Petrol Stations - depending on the one you pick, these can be little forts. Some have roller shutters for the front door. The back is often a high metal fence, enclosing gas cylinders, coal, etc. And they have lots of food & petrol!
    Small hotels - approx 3 - 5 floors. Large enough so you can give up the ground floor as lost cause and live on the top floors. Block off the stairs (fill it with chairs / tables etc) and wind the lift to the top and lock it off there

Best top tip - when abroad, look out for good places before you need them

Anyone got good tips for others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If your in south east Spain just get out of any city you might be in, there's no need to gather food as the south east of Spain is full of farms growing olives, oranges and almonds to name just a few. Find an orange grove, sit back, put your feet up and relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭geecee

ScumLord wrote: »
    If your in south east Spain just get out of any city you might be in, there's no need to gather food as the south east of Spain is full of farms growing olives, oranges and almonds to name just a few. Find an orange grove, sit back, put your feet up and relax.

And then die from the scutters from an orange overdose! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

Your personal reccomendations for safe houses:

Old cinemas / theatres - secure & no windows, some food & drink & plenty of room for lots of folk In the start of the pandemic the last thing you want is a large group of frightened people keep it small, tiny infact don't forget the cinema wont be empty and dangers may already be inside when you lock yourself in.
    Petrol Stations - depending on the one you pick, these can be little forts. Some have roller shutters for the front door. The back is often a high metal fence, enclosing gas cylinders, coal, etc. And they have lots of food & petrol! this ticks the box for me!
    Small hotels - approx 3 - 5 floors. Large enough so you can give up the ground floor as lost cause and live on the top floors. Block off the stairs (fill it with chairs / tables etc) and wind the lift to the top and lock it off theredear. god...... no......

Best top tip - when abroad, look out for good places before you need them I like this and stick to it myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

If you want to use a Petrol station, don't use one in the States. Only some of them have stores that carry food (the one I go to only has soda machines). And I don't know of many with fencing surrounding the back of them either. Fairly open places, really. And those with the stores, most have glass fronts.

Also, don't forget petrol + chaos can/may = BOOM.

Cinemas...as with the petrol station, most here have glass fronts. Though, a plus is, each individual theater has a door that only opens from the inside. But you don't want to get trapped in there either.

Hotels wouldn't be a bad idea, but it depends on the hotel itself really. So this would definitely fall under the "look out for good places before you need them" rule.

I would think a church would possibly be ideal. You could use pews to block doors; and while there might be windows, they're higher up in most places (or non existent if it's a Jehovah Witness church). A lot of churches have kitchen's as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

some really good tips here Chase. I havnt been to the states, so thats good stuff to know. Looks like things are diff over there!

Jehov witness, we have them here too. Must admit, I hanvt paid much attention to their church. That will be a good one to look out for.

I have noticed (around here) that some jewelers stores are good places too. Very secure & roller doors / windows. Of course, the more secure the building, the harder it will be for survivors to get into after the outbreak.

• Advertisement

some really good tips here Chase. I havnt been to the states, so thats good stuff to know. Looks like things are diff over there!

I imagine I'd be a bit out of my element over your way as well...which is why it's nice to have a thread like this to get information. I did just notice you said 'old cinemas' in your OP, and I was thinking new ones. So taking that into account, those could work, though they are few and far between now, in most places what with 'bigger and better' being so important.
    Jehov witness, we have them here too. Must admit, I hanvt paid much attention to their church. That will be a good one to look out for.

There are two in the town I live in...don't know why there's no windows, but, hey, works for me for a hideout.
    I have noticed (around here) that some jewelers stores are good places too. Very secure & roller doors / windows. Of course, the more secure the building, the harder it will be for survivors to get into after the outbreak.

Good idea; hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it, game stores here are locked down the same as a jewelers store would be. Pawn shops would also be the same, most with barred windows as well as roller doors/windows. And they sell guns and the like, so you'd have weapons on hand. As for it being too secure - not a bad thing, if you're the one inside...it means you're able to chose who gets in, which will be important to rule out any infected/troublemakers from entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

What do folks think about a cemetary? It might seem stoopid at first, but seeing as how we all agree that the Zombie virus is spread among the living, then the dead are not going to come to life. So it should be a safe place. They often have high walls & gates. But here in Ireland, thats about it. But I am thinking of foreign soil .... are crypts and burial chambers (small rooms?) common on the continent? America? If so, they could be like little villages for survivors in the medium term (as long as walls / gates are good)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

I don't know if that would be the best idea, grave yards have high walls to keep people out and once your in, you're stuck

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Afghanistan has its good points and bad points. The good points are that zombies will freeze for substantial portions of the year and it's a relatively sparsely populated area, so should reduce transmission rates and allow easier isolation.

The bad news, however, is that it would take a very long time before the threat is acknowledged. When reviewing our base defense battle drills, we discovered that there we had no zombie defense plan. As half the base was under Afghan Army control, we had to integrate them into our planning. Talking to our liaison, it turned out that Afghans do not believe in Zombies. This means that transmission rates would probably be relatively high as they would not understand the need to take avoiding action when confronted by a zombie.

Your best bet is to find one of the American FOBs scattered around. Fortified, well armed, and manned by people who do not need to be convinced the threat is real.

NTM

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    I don't know if that would be the best idea, grave yards have high walls to keep people out and once your in, you're stuck

That, and over here, at least the cemeteries I've been to (which makes it sound like I hang out in cemeteries...I don't :p) don't have walls or fences. They are completely open...the most you'd get is tall shrubs lining the property here and there.

Crypts and burial chambers are common here...this really old cemetery about an hour from me has crypts that are crumbling they're so old; but in the newer part of the cemetery, there's a crypt built into a hill; it actually looks really cool and I'm sure I have a picture of it. I'd just hate to get trapped in it while hiding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Afghanistan has its good points and bad points. The good points are that zombies will freeze for substantial portions of the year and it's a relatively sparsely populated area, so should reduce transmission rates and allow easier isolation.

The bad news, however, is that it would take a very long time before the threat is acknowledged. When reviewing our base defense battle drills, we discovered that there we had no zombie defense plan. As half the base was under Afghan Army control, we had to integrate them into our planning. Talking to our liaison, it turned out that Afghans do not believe in Zombies. This means that transmission rates would probably be relatively high as they would not understand the need to take avoiding action when confronted by a zombie.

Your best bet is to find one of the American FOBs scattered around. Fortified, well armed, and manned by people who do not need to be convinced the threat is real.

NTM

I'd love to be in on that meeting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,959 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

NTM

Great! All we need Taliban Al Queida Zombies!![Arent they one and the same?]So if you are a Muslim and become a zombie,do you still get to paradise and 72 virgins??After all you will still be conducting Jihaad after you are..dead??Will strips of bacon and pork fat keep muslim zombies at bay too??What happens if there is a AQ terror group planning a attack in the West and they get infected...will they still carry out thei rmission??AH For crying out loud!!:eek::confused:
    FFS Manic look at the whole can of worms you've opened now!!!:D:D
    Wont get any sllep tonite trying to figure this one out!!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement