Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Ads and the Cork Accent

Options
  • 12-05-2011 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

I dunno if people have noticed but it seems every ad on the radio now is associated with this strong exaggerated Cork accent.

For example the 11890 ad has a pretend Eddie Hobbs type and then this other radio ad has this high pitched ladies Cork accent.

I just wondering if anybody else has noticed. I'm not from Cork but if there is somebody that is, I'm sure you find it annoying too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Not as bad as the girl doing voiceovers on RedFM here in Cork.

Horrible forced Cork accent, can't listen to that station at all.

I like the Cork accent, just not this fake exaggerated stuff :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Music to my ears:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Whats wrong the Cork accent bey?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

nobody with a Cork accent should ever be allowed on the radio, you just cant take people with that accent seriously. I usually try my best not to laugh at people with Cork accents who are giving out to me at work? cos everything they say sounds like a question in that ridiculous accent?

bai?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I'm from Cork and also hate these ads. They're just stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I have noticed this too and its very annoying.Id say the woman who owns 11890 has an issue with Cork people as the accents are way over the top to the point of being a pure pisstake.
    The girl on the add used to say "langer" for the first few weeks and now it is beeped out as in Cork saying "Go way ya langer" equals saying "Go way ya B*ll*cks".

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

I'm from Cork I and I couldn't give a fcuk. Biy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

c'mere timme that accent is medazza bai !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

You'd be a langer not to like those ads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yes, it seems Ireland overall is finally embracing the lovability of the Cork accent ;)

seanp_25 wrote: »
    RedFM

Everyone on that station does a stupid exaggerated Cork accent. Your man stevie g gives me a headache his accent is so fcuking fake. Amateur sh!te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Until I was 14 I didn't realise Cork had an accent of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Until I was 14 I didn't realise Cork had an accent of its own.

Dying to know...what the hell happened to you when you were 14?!?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Best......accent......ever :p

Nah, them ads are just bad alright. It was on TodayFM one day about the Cork accent and a survey, that the Cork accent was the bets to use for radio ads, dont know why though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

There's an ad one the wireless about a girl with an exaggerated Cork accent.. Kinda makes me smile that there is actually real people who talk and go on like that. It's like someone made it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Funkfield wrote: »

I started hearing references to Cork people having a funny accent on Gift Grub and the likes... I dont think I'd ever heard anyone from Cork speak before that, except Roy Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I have noticed this too and its very annoying.Id say the woman who owns 11890 has an issue with Cork people as the accents are way over the top to the point of being a pure pisstake.
    The girl on the add used to say "langer" for the first few weeks and now it is beeped out as in Cork saying "Go way ya langer" equals saying "Go way ya B*ll*cks".

here's the owner of the offending accent. biy.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72068776&postcount=2646

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

gavredking wrote: »
    Best......accent......ever :p

Nah, them ads are just bad alright. It was on TodayFM one day about the Cork accent and a survey, that the Cork accent was the bets to use for radio ads, dont know why though.
    Because it is the best accent by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It used to be Dublin skanger accents. They're just spreading the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Those female cork accents are music to my ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 darkmavis

I'm proud cork man,but i have to turn off the radio when that 11890 ad comes on.So annoying,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 The Behemoth

darkmavis wrote: »
    I'm proud cork man,but i have to turn off the radio when that 11890 ad comes on.So annoying,

You can be proud of where yer from all you want. Theres not a soul in the world not proud of there heritage etc etc. But that accent doesnt travel well & ye may face up to it. Its just grinned at abroad & around the country. Its like some sort of makey uppy clicky Irish brogue. Yeeeuch. The fact its on ads for the humour aspect says it all. Id rathern have the guy with the deep American accent in movie trailers at my breakfast table than a Corkie gobbin to the world anyday....................
    Just my 2 cents heavily laden with FACT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Sweatynutsack

Tommy Tiernan quote

"Cork accent is like tinkers talkin french"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Funkfield wrote: »

Late DIY circumcision?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

I've fallen in love with a piece of technology

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Nobody with a Cark accent should be given a voiceover job,you just cant take that accent seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

ere ere ere its not that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 29 brock landers

krudler wrote: »
    Nobody with a Cark accent should be given a voiceover job,you just cant take that accent seriously

is it pronounced Cawrk or Co-irk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I hate those ads with the over-exaggerated accent..I'm from Cork and I've never heard anyone talk naturally with an accent like that..it's all for show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

SeaFields wrote: »
    Everyone on that station does a stupid exaggerated Cork accent.
    A middle-class, private school-educated boy trying to sound like he grew up under the bells of Shandon - so easy to spot. :pac:

Nearly all of those Cork accents used for ads are put-on - and wrong. They've some bit of a grasp on it, but it's mostly terrible... especially the ones done by women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I'm from the People's Republic of Cork and quite proud of it,too. I love Cork but find the Cork accent can be woeful to listen to, but I find Dubbalin Jayzus accents hardest of all to listen to. Funniest thing is that Dubs and Corkonians both operate a kind of inverted snobbery in that they consider that a person is not a Real (pronounced Rayl)Dub or Proper Cork Boy unless he/she has a full-on Jayzus/Langer accent, which is a load of ****e, of course.

regards
    Stovepipe

Advertisement