Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Margaret's Well in Ennis?

Options
  • 12-05-2011 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone in the Ennis area might know where the location of St. Margaret's holy well might be? The only clue is that it's supposed to be in Ennis, but I'm not seeing it on the ordinance survey maps, and the local tourist office doesn't know where it is, nor do the people at the Friary in town.

My brother, who's in Canada, asked me to make a pilgrimage to the holy wells in Ireland on his behalf to ask for a healing. As I'm living in Ennis, St. Margaret's well seemed like a good place to start.

If anyone can point me in the direction of this particular well, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I just checked with my dad who is an Ennis native and he hasn't heard of St. Margaret's Well but he did say that there is a St' Joseph's Well located next to "Our Lady's Hospital" on the Gort Road, Ennis.

Here is a list of Holy Wells in Co. Clare.

http://www.holywell.seomraranga.com/holywellsireland.htm#CLARE

St. Brigid's Well - Liscannor
    Magh Adhair - Quin
    Eye Well - Burren
    Tooth Well - Burren
    Margaret's Well - Ennis
    St. Augustine's Well - Kilshanny
    St. Senan's Well, Cloonlara (Tober Curnan)
    St. Flannan's Well, Killaloe
    Howard's Well, Kilmihil
    Tobar Lachtainn, Kilnamona
    St. Martin's Well, Noughaval Parish
    Tobar Ghráinne, Feacle Parish
    St. Cravan's Well, Ennistymon
    Tobar na Taise, Kilnamona Parish
    St. Duran's Well, Doora Parish
    St. Sgreabhan's Well, Clondagad Parish
    St. Luctigern's Well, Fenloe
    St. Colman's (McDuach) Well, Oughtmama
    Tobar Colman McDuach, Slievecarron
    St. Senan's Well, Scattery Island
    St. Senan's Well, Kilrush
    St. Senan's Well, Molougha, Killimer
    Poll Insheen Wells, Gleninsheen, Rathborney
    Saint Caoidhe's Well (Tobar Caoidhe), Foohagh, Kilfeeragh
    Saint Brigid's Well, Ballysteen, Kilmacrehy
    Saint Joseph's Well, Dulick, Templemaley
    Saint Flannan's Well, Drimanure, Inagh
    Well of the Holy Cross (Tobar na Croiche Naoimhe), Gleninagh

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Millypenny

Just checked on the monuments of Co. Clare website (http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/archaeology/holy_wells.htm

According to that website: St. Margaret's Holy Well is located near Cree, West. Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Yaahl

Thank you MrsD007 and Millypenny for your responses! The Clare library has this OS map from 1842, but of course, a lot of the wells listed are likely no longer in use, having been converted to new housing estates.

I will check on the one by the hospital on Gort Road that MrsD007's father mentioned. Do pass on my thanks to your father for the information. :-)

It seems back in 2008, someone from the US came and did a survey of the surviving wells in Clare and marked their location with GPS. I'm trying to get her data as that will definitely make finding them easier. If I am successful at obtaining this information, I will post it here.

Thanks again!

Advertisement