Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruitflies to give away

Options
  • 12-05-2011 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

I bought of ebay some fruitflies for my fishes as my previous batch died after more than 2 years after a mistake from my part. The new batch is not suited though for my fishes as they're too big (I have some neons, some baby sword-tail fishes) and I'm afraid they're going to choke on them. In fairness, the seller has them advertised as reptile food with some of the buyers mentioning mantis enjoying them. So, if somebody has some bigger fishes or some reptiles and wants them, I'll be happy to give them away. The fruitflies and myself are based in Clondalkin and they should be good for another week or two.

On another note, if somebody could help me with a few wingless fruitflies, I'd be more than grateful for them.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

why dont you try some daphina or mysis? better suited for fish I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I got the wingless variety in Tallaght pet store many years back to feed my baby Lined Day Geckos.
    Drosophilia Melanogaster (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

godtabh wrote: »
    why dont you try some daphina or mysis? better suited for fish I would think

They are too much of a hassle to grow. With the fruitflies, you just have to start a new culture every two weeks and then you can forget about them. The fishes go crazy for them, specially as they have to "hunt" the fruitflies.
    tallus wrote: »
    I got the wingless variety in Tallaght pet store many years back to feed my baby Lined Day Geckos.
    Drosophilia Melanogaster (I think)

I'll have to try Tallaght, maybe I'll find some over there. The new ones that I bought are definitely much bigger than the previous ones and even the wings are almost fully developed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i buy them frozen

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Oh, I thought you meant to grow a culture! My mistake.

Anyway, I give them frozen food as well, I just discovered the mysis, but nothing beats live food. You can ask my fishes if you don't believe me! :D

• Advertisement

m4r10 wrote: »
    Oh, I thought you meant to grow a culture! My mistake.

Anyway, I give them frozen food as well, I just discovered the mysis, but nothing beats live food. You can ask my fishes if you don't believe me! :D

You can grow them yourself but that's time consuming and difficult. As long as you don't get them mixed up with the frozen veg you are grand

Advertisement