Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dying fish

Options
  • 12-05-2011 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

One of my goldfish is slowing on the way out. He has taken to just lying in the corner of the tank, periodically he'll swim about he even took some flakes this morning, but 10-15 minutes, later he's back in the corner. I know in 3-4 days he'll be dead. I have my tank about 3 years now and for the first few months lost a few fish. They all went this same way. Once I got my set up right these deaths stopped. Haven't had a fish die in over 2 years so a bit sad this one is on the way out.

Is there any specific condition that causes these symptoms. Is there any treatments I can buy that might "cure" affected fish. I've checked my water quality and its perfect. Changed the water in the tank 4 days ago, so think that is possibly the problem somehow.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

There's probably a few things you can do.

First off, when you say the water quality is perfect, what are your nitrate / ammonia / pH levels?

When you say you changed the water, how much did you change? How often do you change it?

The majority of goldfish issues can be traced back to water quality issues?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Maybe the fish has had his lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Silverfish wrote: »
    There's probably a few things you can do.

First off, when you say the water quality is perfect, what are your nitrate / ammonia / pH levels?

When you say you changed the water, how much did you change? How often do you change it?

The majority of goldfish issues can be traced back to water quality issues?

My Ammonia level is coming out at less than .001 PPM

My Nitrates are between 5-10 PPM, Nitrites are 0.

Changed 50 % of the water. It might be a little much but its the amount I always change and haven't had a probably since I got my tank set up correctly. I generally change the water every 6-8 weeks, leaving the new water sit out for 12-24 hours, to get up to a similar temp to the tank.

There's part of your problem there. You need to change 25% weekly.

If I leave a water change too late, one of my more sensitive fish takes to bottom sitting, he now needs 2 x 25% water changes weekly to stop lethargy and bottom-sitting.

What size tank is it? And what water conditioners do you use?

Good job on leaving the water sit out, this removes the chlorine which is pretty toxic to fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

do you also treat your water before using it or do you only leave it out?
    If you dont treat it, it might be worth doing 2*25% water changes with treated water.

I had an issue a few years back with unexplained deaths, and a local friend of mine had the same issue. I happen to work in a place that can do analysis of water, and found out the copper levels in the water were through the roof, and got on to the CC. Now it might not be copper, but the stuff for treating the water might get rid of some potential contaminants you might have in there. Might be worth checking with local fishkeepers to see if they have had similar issues.

Just as well we arent drinking that water :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I know someone who's tap water tests at 50ppm for nitrates. And another who's tap water tested at 10ppm for ammonia. Yum.

I use Seachem Prime for water conditioner, you only need one small drop and it removes more toxic metals etc and reducces the toxicity of nitrates nitrites and ammonia more than any other conditioner.

One bottle will last a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭wicorthered

80 litre tank. I use Stress Zyme and stress coat with every water change!

Ah right, Stress Coat isn't the best as it doesn't treat for as wide a range as other conditioners, and it's expensive for the amount you've to use!

Anyway, yeah, try the water changes once a week. At 4-6 weeks he'll be sitting in his own waste, and that's highly toxic.

Is the water aerated as well as filtered?

The other thing is, goldfish actually need a lot of space - it's recommended 140L for the first fish, and 40L more for each additional fish, and single-tailed goldfish need even more. Of course, I need a 3 story georgian townhouse, but we can't always get what we want.

I've just bought a 300L 4 foot tank for my 4 fish, as from watching them I can see how they need a bit more space to actually get a decent bit of a swim.

But more regular waterchanges should be enough to keep him happy.

Advertisement