Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I will not smoke because

Options
  • 12-05-2011 8:22am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭

I want to be able to look after my wife.

Want to kick them again, back on them for 18 months after 14 months of them. Have patches at the ready for when things get tough. Will stick up a new line every day as to why I want to smoke no more.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I want to be a healthy dad to our baby that's due in September.

God last night was tough. Didn't sleep great, woke up wrecked. Playstation still offline, so had to make do with the telly. Called to a mates house too, didn't stay long as they were horsing the fags into them. Please be nice weather tomorrow so I can get out and do the gardening.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

That's a really good idea! Best of luck with it! They say the thing abbout givin up any addiction is to take it one day at a time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chloek

good luck with it.

I want to be able to run a marathon, eventually. I'd settle for a 10k or half marathon at this stage.

Yesterday was bad. I'm not in great form. Slept a little better though.

I would like to run the company for many a year, not just a few.

Fell off the wagon areir, had 2. Looks like I won't be doing any running! First night I slept in ages, couldn't sleep on my holidays. Felt no guilt areir, just a hiccup I'm thinking today. Back on the road now. Have pigged out this morning, lots of chocolate devoured already. Lunch will be bypassed, should have gone for the grapes.

• Advertisement

I would like to be able to smell/taste foods properly again.

Got stuck in traffic for 40 mins earlier, did my nut in. Got home eventually and finished work. Am off tomorrow, might go down the town and get some of the inhaler things that I see ex smokers using.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭magztar

Good luck..Going off them myself tomorrow..Was off them there for 3 weeks with the champix but was really sick so cold turkey this time round..

Doing it so i'll be able to run a round outside with my daughter and not be breathless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Javonte

This is a great idea man i wish you good luck :)

I would like to be able to do other things with the money saved. You wouldn't believe how long I've been putting off a trip to the dentist.

Thanks for the support. Dry weather today, so was able to do the gardening. Left my spade in my sisters house, so had to make do with the tiny hand held one to get the weeds. It killed 70 minutes anyway. Would have liked to have gone down the town to get those inhaler things, but I left the parking lights on in my car yesterday, so momo is as dead as a dodo. The jump leads are in Mrs B's car.

Making out a list tonight for things we need for the baby, can see our pocket money starting to dissappear already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lady_Bird

This is a fantastic idea! I love it..Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

I would likw my chest to stop wheezing when I try to get to sleep, or watch the telly. Mrs B says it's very annoying. The dog thinks it's kinda funny though.

Will get the inhaler things tomorrow, been up to my nads with work. Should probably kick the coffee too, they go hand in hand together.

because it's killing me. fell off the wagon saturday. all the sport, and a pile of drink. it was hair of the dog stuff sunday. i'm on day 2 again, want to be off them for 3 weeks by the time my birthday comes. i'll be 31, same age as my mam when she gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

I havent smoked since 2pm yesterday and I went out and bought one of them e-cig things and its surprisingly working for me, so fingers crossed that this time is my last time having to quit:)

I want to use the money to buy heathcare.

I cancelled my healthcare, going with the Hospital Saturday Fund instead. Cover is pretty much the same. Have no savings made yet from not smoking, eating like a king at the mo. Have to get to the doctor and dentist in the next week too. See how the smoking has affected my health, teeth, and general check up.

Had bad news today, lost a work placement. Pain in the nads. Hopefully it can be replaced soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

I still havent smoked since monday, and im giving the evil cigs the middle finger :cool:

it's too bloody warm.

Can kinda get a smell of freshly cut fields, beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

How are you finding the e-cig?

I stopped smoking cigarettes 5 days ago and I'm using the e-cig and have found it very easy so far. I have this nagging feeling though that I'm not properly stopping smoking while I'm using it.

i'm giving the inhalers a real go. i can't keep a diary, was always going to be a push updating this daily. the patches worked for a while, still smoked 3 or 4 a night though. day time, no probs. even managed not smoking when playing cod with the lads online. i don't want the baby to recognise and remember me as the smelly monster. have to get it to work this time.

It's working. One inhaler cartridge is getting me through the day. Although I'm eating like a horse. Went to a new doctor for a full checkup, he told me to lose 2 stone. Told him I was 3 days off the cigs,, and to be a little patient. Ya can't have it both ways. Must have put on a stone in the past week, gorging and stuff.

It's my birthday in 10 days, wonder if I can have a few beers? Maybe 2, then leggit out of the pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 notwise

I think there is a huge stigma attached to giving up smoking. It is made into such a big deal that people automatically have it in their head that they simply will not be able to do it. I gave up smoking a year ago and literally decided one Sunday night on a whim that I was giving up, smoked the last 2 and that was it!! I didn't tell anyone, so that relieved some of the pressure. Yes there was times (like when I was drinking) that I would have LIKED one, but it was by no means impossible or unbearable( and I definitely don't consider myself a strong willed person!!) I think about 75% of the addiction is in your head! Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

I gave up 4 years ago this week. I had a couple of wobbles thanks to afternoon sun and alcohol. In my experience if you want to have a sneaky one you can ALWAYS find an excuse which in time becomes more flimsy. Alcohol was the killer for me so for four months if I went to the pub I had no more than two pints, anymore than that would give me an awful goo for one. Bottom line is there are no excuses, if certain situations test your resolve then avoid those situations. It's not easy, by very definition it is difficult, but ultimately you have a choice to make, you smoke or you don't.
    Best of luck.

I can't think of anything good to write here. I said it all before. Day 4, inhaler doing the job. Have lost the plot a few times. It happens. Great to hear a few stories. Might have that beer that's hiding in the back of my fridge.

When I'm playing COD with the lads here online, after a frustrating game, I take a pull(big) from the inhaler, and nearly choke. Tis funny, I'm not sure if they've sussed that yet though. Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭neilboard

OP can I suggest to you that you read allen carr's book. I read this book and stopped smoking, on day two today but not finding it that difficult! It's all in the head, get that right and it's really not that bad! Even had a few beers last night to celebrate the fact that I'm done with them filthy smokes!

I haven't smoked a single one since I read this...

m_look_who_it_is.jpg

Read it 3 times a couple of years ago. I didn't get it. Donated to a charity. The inhalers still working.

Was in Tesco there, unknowingly took it out of my pocket to take a drag. Some dude was passing me, and asked me did I want a light! Lol. He said he used them too and was off them 2 years.

I'm feeling healthier after just a few days.

Me and diaries, could never keep it up continuously(sp). Feel great, didn't realise it was so long since I posted in here.The inhalers really are the job. 2 days till my birthday, might go for a mad walk somewhere as a celebration.

I don't want to.

Today is my birthday. Still off them. Going to go another week on the cartridges I have, then move onto the lower ones.

^ I don't get it.

• Advertisement

What a stinker of a day. Must have hit the timer for the heating yesterday, it came on in the middle of the night. I hardly slept, very restless. Left my inhaler at home aswell, so was going around in the van very pissed off. Home now though for tea, feeling much better.

2 weeks today I think, it has gotten so much easier.

Advertisement