Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rehoming turtles

Options
  • 12-05-2011 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi folks I'm leaving the country this summer and I'm trying to find a new home for my two yellow bellies, one male, one female. Male is about 1.5 years old, she's over 2 years old I think (shell lengths roughly 5" and 6" respectively). They were due to leave their 4ft tank this summer as they've well outgrown it and go into a pond but now all my plans are banjaxed.:(

So does anyone have a good home for them in a large tank or pond? Or does anyone know of anyone/anywhere who could rehome them?
    I can acclimatise them if needed for a pond (they're aat 21 degrees at the moment as I had already started) And I can drop them off to wherever (I'm based in Dublin). I just want to make sure they find a safe home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

This is something that I was trying to find information on!!!!
    I have a pond approx 16ftx16ft that I was hoping to one day have a pair of turtles but had no idea how raise them from young and indoors to moving them into pond. Do they need much care once out in a pond?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

MoodeRator wrote: »
    This is something that I was trying to find information on!!!!
    I have a pond approx 16ftx16ft that I was hoping to one day have a pair of turtles but had no idea how raise them from young and indoors to moving them into pond. Do they need much care once out in a pond?

If they survive the first winter in a pond they'll live forever..they've colonised quite a few places in Dublin where people have dumped juvenile specimens and left them to thier own devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thinspired

Thanks to a very generous family with a massive pond, my turtles are now rehomed and happy. I turned their heater down gradually over a fortnight, then left it off for a week, then put them outside in a tub for a week before moving them. So far so good, they never lost their appetite or stopped basking so hopefully they'll be ok. Just glad they found a good home.

Advertisement