Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this illegal?

Options
  • 11-05-2011 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I have a friend who is working for a company for an agency and she is told that she is not entitled to be paid for overtime that she regularly has to work.
    Sounds like a load of crap to me. Links to some info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

It all depends on the contract your friend commenced employment under. what did it say regarding hours of employment, payments, overtime payments, etc. I've regularly worked long hours in various jobs and have never received overtime - it was known and agreed at the start of each job though. All perfectly legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Work Problems

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Tombones wrote: »
    I have a friend who is working for a company for an agency and she is told that she is not entitled to be paid for overtime that she regularly has to work.
    Sounds like a load of crap to me. Links to some info would be appreciated.

depends what she signed up for if overtime is mentioned in their contract plus she is probably on a salary?.

However if they are not paid at all for the overtime and this results in her effective rate of pay been less than minimium wage then it could be a matter for the rights commissioner/Nera.

Dont forget her employer is the agency and any issues as such should go via them however if she could reneogiate her position to cover the overtime as it appears to be consistant(ie not sporadic or every Friday) then she may have a case to bring to them.

Advertisement