Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glen of Imaal

Options
  • 11-05-2011 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi. I need to get to the Glen of Imaal in Wicklow so that I can climb Lugnaquilla but I don't drive. Is there any way of getting there without driving? Ideally I'd like to be near Fenton's which I think is in Seskin. I would really appreciate knowing how to get there. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭trellheim

Bus Eireann would let you off at the junction with the N81 signposted for the Dwyer Cottage and Knockanarrigan. It is then about a 3 mile walk to Fentons.

Dublin Bus used to run the 65 to Donard but not any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭nyarlthotepful

That's absolutely brilliant. Thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Bus Eireann routes 003 and 005 or route 132 to Annalecky Cross.

Also, the Wicklow Rural Transport Scheme operate services to/from Donard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Hi. I need to get to the Glen of Imaal in Wicklow so that I can climb Lugnaquilla but I don't drive. Is there any way of getting there without driving? Ideally I'd like to be near Fenton's which I think is in Seskin. I would really appreciate knowing how to get there. Thank you!

I do not envy you! Public transport options to any decent starting point to make an accent of Lug are very difficult. Also remember that they may not be available when you make your decent. While my climbing days are well behind me, my regular non car method was a train to Rathdrum, walk to Glenmalure, overnight in the most fascinating youth hostel you could ever imagine and then make the accent fresh the next day. But hey, things change. Best of luck!

Think long and hard about this mountain. She can be a bitch.

Would any of you be able to show me where Annalecky Cross is on a map? It's not on google maps and I really need to know.

• Advertisement

How far is it from Annalecky Cross to Seskin? I'm trying to plan this thing and it's driving me a bit mad. I've never been in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Would any of you be able to show me where Annalecky Cross is on a map? It's not on google maps and I really need to know.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,691416,699479,4,10

Right in the centre.

Use the zoom tool at the top left to zoom in and out.

It's the cross roads for the road to Donard off the N81.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Annalecky Cross to Seskin would be about 10km by my reckoning, If you can get the driver to stop at the junction to Knockanarrigan it'd be about 7km.

I've made a Google Map showing the placement of Fenton's Pub and the two places on the N81 mentioned above here ...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=216818106030353918346.0004a312484e68d342644

Personally I wouldn't want to be looking at 14 or 20km of road walk on top of a walk up Lug.

By the way, I don't envy anyone trying to get to walk starting places in the Wicklow Mountains by public transport, it's not going to be easy. Even just getting to Glendalough and getting a full day's walking in is impossible given the timings for St. Kevins Bus.

I've solved this by begging a lift home off a family member the day we go. I'm sure it's perfectly possible (but very tiring) to pull of the 20/14 km on top of the walk up Lugnaquilla. I'd just rather not do it. Thanks so much for the advice. I've sorted out the plan now. It should be enjoyable when I do it tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

DWCommuter wrote: »
    I do not envy you! Public transport options to any decent starting point to make an accent of Lug are very difficult. Also remember that they may not be available when you make your decent. While my climbing days are well behind me, my regular non car method was a train to Rathdrum, walk to Glenmalure, overnight in the most fascinating youth hostel you could ever imagine and then make the accent fresh the next day. But hey, things change. Best of luck!

Think long and hard about this mountain. She can be a bitch.

DW - how right you are and there's not even a pub when you reach the summit! I made the assault a few times when I was a teenager but the last time, circa 1978, I got no further than Baravore Ford in Glenmalure. I deposited my beer in the river, lay back and waited while the more enthusiastic in the bunch did the business. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

DW - how right you are and there's not even a pub when you reach the summit! I made the assault a few times when I was a teenager but the last time, circa 1978, I got no further than Baravore Ford in Glenmalure. I deposited my beer in the river, lay back and waited while the more enthusiastic in the bunch did the business. :D

Well at least I got beyond Baravore Ford and deposited my beer in the river beside the youth hostel! Brilliant days! My first trek up the Lug was 1986 and I even managed a bit of fishing in Kellys Lough on the way down!:D

Advertisement