Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start to Rally

Options
  • 11-05-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Something I really would like to do is to get into rally in ireland, and I have seen that there is the courses with Rally School Ireland, but the question I have is, if i get the licence, then what?

Are there amatuer races? and what is the best way to get a rally spec car? buy one already done or buy a base car and fix it up :)

would love your opinions, sorry if there is already a post about this i couldnt find one :S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Jay the best bit of advice i can give you is to seek out and join your local motorclub... they will have a all the info you need...
    Buying a used rally car is something you should only consider after getting an idea of the costs associated with entry to events and purchasing of safety gear etc...
    i am currently in the process of getting my competition license and hopefully doing my first event before september... but trust me... join your local motorclub... most memberships are around 10-15 euro.
    hope this helps and good luck~! maybe i'll see ya on the stages!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jayhassett89

thanks barney, ill have to find out what the closest one to Lucan is, I'll look into it now. I probably wouldn't have the cash to start buying a car until the new year, but I want to find out as much information, and maybe go to a course day between now and then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭twincamman

join a motorclub.and join http://www.rallyforums.com/forum/ its a good way to find out things rally related and you will get to know people.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭biomech

so firstly , totally agree with all of the above, join your local, or any motor club. By doing this you will have access to people who have started from scratch like yourself, and in exchange you will support and help out a club who run events like the ones you are interested in doing.

All rallying in ireland is ametuer as such, there is usually no prize money up for grabs and nobody actually gets paid to do it.

The normal stage rallying entry level licence is a national b licence, this restricts you to less then 1600cc for the first 6 events. should be able to get your licence for around 400

as the lads have mentioned, COSTS!!!!, there are handy cheap cars to be got out there, but most of them are in bits, personally i think this is perfect if your starting out, get a cheap car, spend a bit of time on it and get it ready, then hit the stages,

outside the cost of the car your looking at minimum 1k on gear, thats what is spent but got a few things second hand.

event entry will cost 300 - 450 for mini or full national rally giving you 4-9 special stages of fun fun fun. running costs persumeing you dont bend it .... few tanks of petrol over a weekend, start out with a good set of hard slicks and theyll last you a good few spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

http://www.almc.ie/ would be local enough for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 jayhassett89

Cool thanks to everyone for your input, really appreciate it :)

definitley joining a motorclub, gonna start watching the events and getting a grip of everything that way before i start getting into these COSTS!!!!!!!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rallyschool

Hi Jay

hope you have got onto your local motor club and have got some more helpful advice! I agree with the comments above and would suggest even hiring a car for one event this year and get an idea what all is involved and then start the ball rolling for your own!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

To be honest if you are starting out I'd suggest that you look at autocross and sprint events first.
    If you are only starting then yes hire a car for the likes of Mayo autocross (quarry event on loose gravel) or Sligo Rally Sprint (tarmac, short track with everything). The reason being for €100 entry you have a great DAY.
    With tarmac, the time alone with travel, recce, screwtony and then your day rallying never mind the costs. The one day event gets you started, find out what suits you (FWD,RWD) and take it from there.
    But DEFFO get up to RSI, the best bit of craic is up there and don't think the KA is a waste of time, give it a go you'll see what I mean :).

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

Hi Jay,

As the guys above suggest, i also agree that you should join a local club and involve yourself with the running of an event ie; marshalling for your first year, you will get to know good people who have the same interest and go from there. Clubs are always looking for marshalls to help out. Your local clubs are A.L.M.C based in North Dublin, events typically based in North Dublin Meath areas and Co Kildare motorclub (mondello based events). Have a look at www.motorsportireland.com for some more clubs nationwide and information.
    Getting involved with a club will benefit you bigtime on where to go for the stuff you need at the right prices etc...

I hope this helps a little.

Phil,

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭reiger

X1R wrote: »
    To be honest if you are starting out I'd suggest that you look at autocross and sprint events first.
    If you are only starting then yes hire a car for the likes of Mayo autocross (quarry event on loose gravel) or Sligo Rally Sprint (tarmac, short track with everything). The reason being for €100 entry you have a great DAY.
    With tarmac, the time alone with travel, recce, screwtony and then your day rallying never mind the costs. The one day event gets you started, find out what suits you (FWD,RWD) and take it from there.
    But DEFFO get up to RSI, the best bit of craic is up there and don't think the KA is a waste of time, give it a go you'll see what I mean :).

i would stay away from mayo very rough quarrys can tend to be that way, sligo is good spot but the best i would go for latton in cavan a bit of loose and tarmac a good spot to learn.

as some one said ALMC would be close to you they are a good club so join up get to know a few dont be afraid to ask for help us rallying people are allways happy to help,we all had to start some where and we all needed a bit of help along the way

• Advertisement
Advertisement