Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cistern slow to fill. Would like to fix it myself.

Options
  • 11-05-2011 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi,
    My cistern has become really slow to fill up after its flushed. Takes about half an hour. I like to try to fix these things myself so would really appreciate and help or tips on how to take it apart and repalce any parts that are worn out.

I have attached two pictures.

Thanks for your help :)
    E13FDBCEE58E46D780EC5D4BE9A154C9-0000327263-0002313481-00500L-7BD5C10EB9044BF7974366761B840980.jpg

E6A4FCB7855340DB8B74E273AB483643-0000327263-0002313480-00500L-8F7D71351E3B432AA9E0348DC55A535A.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

That float valve is very reliable. Are you sure its not just a pressure problem in the area.

Outside that there is prob grit caught in it in which case the float valve would be easier for you to replace than try to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mulphisto

Had the same problem. There was grit in the section where the water flows out (green bit).
    Should be easy enough to take this bit apart to check it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

Thanks to both of ye. Water pressure has reduced recently I think,because the shower can be a bit tempermental too. Ill probably just replace that part anyway so at least the water can flow as freely as possible, even if the water pressure is low. When I go to the DIY shop, do I just look for a new float valve? Or is there a particular name for this part / type?

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.

katiemaloe wrote: »
    Thanks to both of ye. Water pressure has reduced recently I think,because the shower can be a bit tempermental too. Ill probably just replace that part anyway so at least the water can flow as freely as possible, even if the water pressure is low. When I go to the DIY shop, do I just look for a new float valve? Or is there a particular name for this part / type?

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.

Just buy a low pressure inlet valve. An aquasave one is a good make however it will look more like this.

aquasave_be_straight_leg.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

5 minutes would see you turn off the water and crack open the green nut nearest the inlet, in there you'll find your muck (12/1 it's a dead fly :D) careful you don't drop the fibre washer thats in behind the nut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Also if you undo the small green nut and find no dirt in the orifice , undo the large green nut and remove the black diaphram washer and replace it , over time these go out of shape and harden which prevents the water getting in , while your at it fit a black or green orifice , green has the largest hole , the ballvalve you have us one of the best , just replace the parts mentioned as you won't have to disconnect the pipework or empty the cistern .

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Darragho

mulphisto wrote: »
    Had the same problem. There was grit in the section where the water flows out (green bit).
    Should be easy enough to take this bit apart to check it.

Hi,

Sorry for Jumping on this thread we are having the same issue at home at the moment has been ongoing for a few months however never got around to looking at it properly our Two toilets upstairs the cistern is taking over 8-10 hours to fill, the bathroom downstairs is fine we are having no issues with that.

I dont have an iota but would I be correct in saying this could be a water pressure issue and how do I go about sorting this issue.

Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Sounds like the same problem, if it's a simular cistern then have a go, turn the water off first ;)

Darragho wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry for Jumping on this thread we are having the same issue at home at the moment has been ongoing for a few months however never got around to looking at it properly our Two toilets upstairs the cistern is taking over 8-10 hours to fill, the bathroom downstairs is fine we are having no issues with that.

I dont have an iota but would I be correct in saying this could be a water pressure issue and how do I go about sorting this issue.

Thanks so much

Photo of the flush mechanism would be nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

Thanks so much for the help people. Finally got around to some DIY yesterday...
    5 minutes would see you turn off the water and crack open the green nut nearest the inlet, in there you'll find your muck (12/1 it's a dead fly :D) careful you don't drop the fibre washer thats in behind the nut.

Spot on, there was a dead fly! Thanks a mil for the tip :) Its still slow to fill though so reckon Ill try this.....
    sullzz wrote: »
    Also if you undo the small green nut and find no dirt in the orifice , undo the large green nut and remove the black diaphram washer and replace it , over time these go out of shape and harden which prevents the water getting in , while your at it fit a black or green orifice , green has the largest hole , the ballvalve you have us one of the best , just replace the parts mentioned as you won't have to disconnect the pipework or empty the cistern .

Thanks to both of ye, much appreciated. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 CCMYPLAYMATE

sullzz wrote: »

Are the diaphrams things easy to buy !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CCMYPLAYMATE

Are the diaphrams things easy to buy !!!

2euro for two in MASSEYS plumping suppliers very helpfull ,, easy to swap bingo toilet filling like a dream

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vincentdunne

Thank you for this thread and particularly Billy Bunting which stopped me faffing about and do what was suggested. Job done - earwig stuck in the diaphram.

Advertisement