Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Irish Fighter? and why

Options
  • 11-05-2011 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭

As the Title says, Who is your favourite Irish Fighter and why?
    Can be anyone from all levels..

Just an interesting topic and may generate some interesting chat etc...

I have a few that i like watching Conor Mcgregor and Ben Davis would be the 2 that come to mind as they both get in to finish fights and are good strikers..

Used to like watching Emmet Mcnally too..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Yeah the best fights I have watched over last year or 2 featured

Connor, Ben and Norman Parkes.

Brian Moore looks one to watch as well.

I really enjoyed Stringers fight at Cage Wars. Think he made some poor opponent choices early on and his record does not reflect his progression.

Ryan Roddy and Thomas Quinn are other great lads if they come back from uni to ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Peter duncan. You know somebody is goin in the air when he fights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Owen Roddy, Conor McGregor and Paddy Holohan are my favourite Irish fighters. They all have great, exciting styles and are brilliant all-round fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Paddy would be one of my favourites, his ground game is amazing and a joy to watch. Conor is immensely talented also and always tries to finish. Aisling Daly, needs no explanation.

Vlad Malko, whilst not Irish, is based here and I think he could be a force to be reckoned with. I was super impressed when I saw him fight in Cork afew months back. The more shows I get to, the better I'll be able to say, but just going on who I've seen thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 KDavern

I like watching Chris fields,a true pro!and can't wait to watch more of Charlie ward,two animals :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Kal_El

My mate cos i train with him and im not biased at all!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Gary Morris from Rush Fight Accademy (fighting in Tuffnut 5 this Friday).

Always bigs up his fights up lots of trash talk :P and delivers the goods in terms of balls out fight entertainment.

A blast from the past would be Richie Moore, probably not the most stylist but suffering Jesus you'd need an elephant gun to drop the guy.
    Paddy Holohan would be one of my favourites, his ground game is amazing and a joy to watch.

Absolutely right up there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jake 74

tim murphy is a joy to watch, i dont think john walsh gets enough credit a great fighter,paddy holohan is a huge talent great on the ground and kieran davern is up and coming and improving with every fight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Kal_El wrote: »

Would you not be a little biased towards the guys you used to train with a bit too though? It's forgivable surely?

Oh Oh ****e sorry wait I forgot I'm not supposed to know who you are!... carry on carry on nothing to see here!

Close call there Kal El. If anyone sees this I'll just use the memory eraser on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Kal_El wrote: »

Well obviously your favourite fighter is The Batman because you fight side by side with him in the Justice League, ridding our streets and the world at large of menaces too great for just one of ye to tackle. Respect though, because you stood and banged with Doomsday, even though it killed you.

Having said that, people are obviously going to lean a bit towards their training partners as some of their favourites, simply because they see them more than others. And who would be some of yours Kal-El?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Joe Clarke, Norman Parke, Conor McGreggor and Owen Roddy for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Owen roddy, Conor mcgregor for excitement!

Mark curry and paddy holohan for ridiculous jiu jitsu!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

John Redmond because he looks to finish every time. And also a fan of Richie Ivory. Always sets a great tempo.

Probably Norman Parke or Ben Davis. Both very entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 the killing

Rob "the dog" Quinn cause he has balls of steel and is never in a boring fight win or lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Paul Cowser, John Donnelly and Ben Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Killme00 wrote: »
    Paul Cowser, John Donnelly and Ben Davis

Was gonna pick Cowzer & John too, but I'd be biased.

Love Cowzers attitude, have done from day one.. I remember it well!.

Coming up to Bushido Rings (maybe the week before it) and I was asked "Martin, ever hear of some cocky little fucker called Paul Cowzer?" ... "Nope, why" says I .. "Says he's a boxer and is taking a fight with a few days notice" - and we've become good mates since!.
    Yea, and he is a cocky littler f**ker :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Kal_El

Richy06 wrote: »
    Well obviously your favourite fighter is The Batman because you fight side by side with him in the Justice League, ridding our streets and the world at large of menaces too great for just one of ye to tackle. Respect though, because you stood and banged with Doomsday, even though it killed you.

Classic. So im not the only comic book nerd!
    Richy06 wrote: »
    Having said that, people are obviously going to lean a bit towards their training partners as some of their favourites, simply because they see them more than others. And who would be some of yours Kal-El?

Yeah i know Richy, twas a joke is all. Some people seem to think i was being c*untish but i was just takin the piss.

I always like to watch Tim Murphy his fight at one of the COT shows where he came back to win from being rocked hard was one of the highlights of Irish MMA to me. He looks a bit like Harry Potter but he would murder you to bits in the Cage. Norman is a natural in any list. Very dynamic fighter in all ranges. I used to like watching the lads from Chum Sut too. Particularly Ali MacClean and Brian Kerr. The showmanship they had before and after the fights was unique. Tommy Maguire when he first popped on the scene. Came from nowhere and stormed through some of the more established guys.
    Oh and Andy Young. Just a ball of energy from start to finish.
    Cant really think of anyone at the minute that stands out to me tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

Alan Corcoran and Patrick Sheridan both unbeaten and 2 of the best Amateur lightweights in Ireland

And will be 2 of the best Pro's too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

jake 74 wrote: »
    tim murphy is a joy to watch, i dont think john walsh gets enough credit a great fighter,paddy holohan is a huge talent great on the ground and kieran davern is up and coming and improving with every fight
    Yeah, Tim Murphy is always exciting, I remember him doing a cart wheel guard pass up at the National Boxing Stadium in Dublin - outstanding !!!! Johnathon Dargan is also very exciting with his TKD kicks though I hear these days ' the ladies man ' is fancying himself as a cross between David Beckham and Arnold Schwarzegger down at Lillie's Bordello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 shanesmith

Kieran Davern - best up and coming fighter i know.
    Charlie Ward - this lad is not human :P
    John Ging - hes gonna make a show of vlad malko at CC.
    Rob Quinn, - the dog hasnt fought in a good while, but hel always be a force 2 reckon with.
    Chris Fields. - 4 obvious reasons :)

LOL at all the people picking their clubmates. Kal El was right! Now I have egg on my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RAMA 5

Has everyone forgotten Joe Frey..9-0-0
    As for pure striking excitement then semi-pro Andy Scott 2-0-0 will be one to watch

Advertisement