Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Mobile Network (but which one?)

Options
  • 11-05-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

I am considering a switch from my current network (three) and looking for recommendations.

Originally, I was with Vodafone – both billpay and payg – for around 10 years, then I switched for following reasons:

• The so-called Vodafone Live distorts the mobile experience by injecting their own header/footer so some websites get all messed up (e.g., m.twitter.com)
    • Vodafone blocks all VOIP/SIP products
      • Couple of years ago, during a call to Vodafone level2 support for installation of a voip software, the agent told me, and I quote, “Vodafone will block any software that will try to steal the business away from us
    • If above wasn’t enough, the last straw was that once I was charged, on my bill pay account, a 20 min call from Argentina to Tunisia – neither I was in argentina nor I know anyone in tuninsia.
      • Called customer support and the tone was threatening in a way that "you can do whatever you want but there's no mistake in our records!"
    I switched to Three because:
    • I "heard" that they have better customer support.
    • Encouraged Voip software via Skype and other SIP based services
    • Not distorting mobile websites (at least I haven’t seen any!)
    • Mobile internet speed is “slightly” better than Vodafone
    But the switch was short lived and now, I am considering switching from three and here are the reasons:
    • Bizarre credit plan (so-called free credit is used at the end and on top it can ONLY be used for voice/text calls within Ireland!!! – confirmed with three support)
    • Free credit can’t be used to buy add-ons (what?)
    • Free credit can’t be used abroad (probably in three-network countries but I wasn’t there!)
    • Only three’s version of Skype works on my Nokia (whereas the one from skype website doesn’t connect!!)
    • No MMS outside Ireland or UK (seriously!?)
    • A recent trip to USA was worst roaming experience (even worse than Vodafone) – low coverage, dropping signals, very high data roaming
    So, I have decided to try O2, for the sole reason that it’s the only “big” and international network left in Ireland, which I haven’t tried.

Given the above reasons, any thoughts on why I should not switch to O2?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Unfortunately the free credit is only used for Ireland calls/texts. That is a shame.
    HOWEVER, I see absolutely no benefit to going over to o2. They may be a 'big' international network, but their pricing is very uncompdeitive and there are no real benefits to roaming on an o2/telefonica network, like you get with Voda or 3. Even meteor's roaming deals are a lot better than o2.

I know what you mean about USA roaming. It is poor, this is not necessarily 3's fault. The only GSM networks in the USA are AT&T (utter rubbish) and T-Mobile, who are better, but their 3G frequencies do not match European ones I don't know of any phone supplies in Ireland that has those frequencies. Basically, AT&T is the default on 3 - unless you turn 3G off. Verizon, Sprint and others are CDMA networks, totally incompatible with our phones, unfortunately.

If you want to leave 3, Meteor would be a better option, in pretty much every way than o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Can I just add I have sent mms back to Ireland from: UK, Spain, France, Czech Republic, USA, Italy and Germany and I'm with 3

• Registered Users Posts: 29 100

Walkman wrote: »
    Can I just add I have sent mms back to Ireland from: UK, Spain, France, Czech Republic, USA, Italy and Germany and I'm with 3

This is interesting! Since my attempts to Sweden (where 3 exists!) failed and a talk with customer support confirmed that MMS can only be sent to Ireland/UK - this was just last month!!

On a related note, while i was roaming in Sweden (on Three Sverige), i could sent to MMS to other countries - i tried, Ireland, Poland, Sweden and Spain! - weird!

Advertisement